What does the new Solo firmware fix?

Reaction score
Hi All, 6/30/15

Has anyone been able to locate (from a 3DR source, such as their website) what the new Solo firmware (1.0.5) fixes or improves?

Thanks!
Gary

Hoping they post something about it on their website. They seem to be pretty open about the gimbal delay. Have not seen anything yet though. I've been watching the DIY Drones forum as well.

this is what i found when i opend the preflight update required in the solo app.
automaticly switches to fly mode when GPS quality drops beneath acceptable thershold.
improved checks to ensure GPS quality before take off.
reduced time to acquire GPS lock in some environments.
new feature lift the throttle to exit land mode.

Reactions: Raybro
this is what i found when i opend the preflight update required in the solo app.
automaticly switches to fly mode when GPS quality drops beneath acceptable thershold.

Great find Dirby !

But you forgot breaks Solo. LOL

In central Florida, locked on to 10 sat's in about 15-20 seconds,,caught by surprise as I wasn't ready..:)

Supposed to be:
Auto switch to manual when GPS is lost
-Prearm GPS checks
-Faster GPS acquisition times
-Small fixes/improvements here and there

One Thing I noticed from the one flight I got in before rain started, yes the gps is much faster to lock and requires 9 or 10 to be locked to start motors now. I had 6 and 7 inside my house while updating which I got before inside as well but would arm, then once outside didn't arm until I walked away to put my other phone on the table, I had 8 then and when I got back it armed with 10. So could have been delay but wasn't 6 or 7 now its least 8 Im pretty sure it was 9 or 10. Which really is a good thing overall especially if it's someone's first multi but may be harder to get occasionally.

Last edited:
You da man Dirby!

Oops sorry was wrong not sure why before was different but rain stopped and locked ready to start motors at 7 instead of 6 now.

One Thing I noticed from the one flight I got in before rain started, yes the gps is much faster to lock and requires 9 or 10 to be locked to start motors now. I had 6 and 7 inside my house while updating which I got before inside as well but would arm, then once outside didn't arm until I walked away to put my other phone on the table, I had 8 then and when I got back it armed with 10. So could have been delay but wasn't 6 or 7 now its least 8 Im pretty sure it was 9 or 10. Which really is a good thing overall especially if it's someone's first multi but may be harder to get occasionally.
ithe last time i flew mine i had 18 sats while flying.

Are you sure about that Dirby? Solo doesn't see Glonass, so it would be difficult to see more than 12-13 at a time.

18 sats? Unless 3DR have several versions of the GPS board with other than NEO-7N GPS receiver module, it is unlikely. Using just GPS plus WAAS satellites you can get like 14 sats at most. If this is the case I want to replace my bird to the new hardware revision.

Are you sure about that Dirby? Solo doesn't see Glonass, so it would be difficult to see more than 12-13 at a time.
yes my girl frend and i both saw 18 sats on the controler screen.

18 sats? Unless 3DR have several versions of the GPS board with other than NEO-7N GPS receiver module, it is unlikely. Using just GPS plus WAAS satellites you can get like 14 sats at most. If this is the case I want to replace my bird to the new hardware revision.
Crossing my fingers that the dev team will have an update that will support additional satellite networks. The Neo-7 is a multi-GNSS engine so it is capable of reading Glonass and Galileo too.

Crossing my fingers that the dev team will have an update that will support additional satellite networks. The Neo-7 is a multi-GNSS engine so it is capable of reading Glonass and Galileo too.
Unfortunately not. NEO-7N does not concurrent GPS & GLONASS reception at the same time. At least not until yesterday :).
From the Nov.17 2014 NEO-7N guide:
1.5.2 GLONASS
The Russian GLONASS satellite system is an alternative system to the US-based Global Positioning System (GPS). The u-blox 7 module is capable of receiving and processing GLONASS signals using the same hardware and provides the lowest power GLONASS functionality in the industry at low cost and with minimal integration effort. In order to take advantage of GPS and GLONASS, dedicated hardware preparation must be taken during the design-in phase, see the MAX-7 / NEO-7 Hardware Integration Manual [1] for u-blox design recommendations.
The ability to receive and track GLONASS L1OF satellite signals with the same hardware results in an optimized hardware BOM and allows design of GLONASS ready receivers where required by regulations. Note: GLONASS and GPS signals cannot be received and tracked simultaneously by u-blox 7 modules.

But hey, is there a SOLO hardware with GLONASS and GPS I want it. It will definitely perform better in non-ideal conditions.

Reactions: sixshooterstang
Unfortunately not. NEO-7N does not concurrent GPS & GLONASS reception at the same time. At least not until yesterday :).
From the Nov.17 2014 NEO-7N guide:
1.5.2 GLONASS
The Russian GLONASS satellite system is an alternative system to the US-based Global Positioning System (GPS). The u-blox 7 module is capable of receiving and processing GLONASS signals using the same hardware and provides the lowest power GLONASS functionality in the industry at low cost and with minimal integration effort. In order to take advantage of GPS and GLONASS, dedicated hardware preparation must be taken during the design-in phase, see the MAX-7 / NEO-7 Hardware Integration Manual [1] for u-blox design recommendations.
The ability to receive and track GLONASS L1OF satellite signals with the same hardware results in an optimized hardware BOM and allows design of GLONASS ready receivers where required by regulations. Note: GLONASS and GPS signals cannot be received and tracked simultaneously by u-blox 7 modules.
I see my mistake. Read the specs page only. Oh well, can always did an antenna swap to get all 14.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea