What a difference: GP3+B infinity focus fix

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
My current GoPro is a Hero 3+ Black. I've read here and there about how many (or all?) of these cameras were shipped with a poor focus setting for viewing distant objects. Things in the 10-20 foot range will be in focus but those things in the distance would not be. That all fits in with the typical use of the average GP user. But in short, the cameras are not focused to infinity. Prior to getting my Solo this wasn't really an issue as I wasn't using the camera for views off at greater distances. However, when I started doing shots from the drone, the poor focus of the camera really came to be obvious and I had thought it was just the nature of the camera. Until I remembered about the infinity focus issues with the 3+B.

So I found a good how-to on Youtube and gave it a shot. You really only need to turn the lens about 2-2.5,mm to get to the infinity focus. The only part that made me hesitate was the part about getting the lens loose. As I have a Hero 4 Black on the way I intend to put a flat lens into myself, I figured I could use the practice. It was incredibly easy and of course nothing broke (I did not use the disassembly method). The video was correct, only a small adjustment was needed. I marked the spot for the original focus, moved it the 2mm required and checked it on my HDTV and got a real solid focus at a good distance. I also experimented with a macro focus and marked that as well for future reference. Never know when that might be useful.

Yesterday I flew for the first time with the refocused camera and I was astounded at the difference it made in the raw unedited video. You can compensate for color, saturation, contrast and on and on, but you can't compensate for bad focus in post. The video looks so much better, and all from a tiny 2mm twist to the lens. For anyone else with a H3+B that is untouched, you might want to seriously consider this small but potent adjustment. No idea if a stock H4 can benefit in the same way.

I honestly think this issue impacts more than just that one model.
to me this is why you get some people who think Gopros are garbage, and some folks who love the results they are getting.
to me all gopros should be checked, it is free and of low risk to see if you need to tweak your focus

My 3+B as focused was great for sports or as I used it automotive. I'd mount it inside the car aiming through the windshield. Attention is focused as much on what is going on in the car (shifting, steering, etc.) as it is with what appears in the windshield. It was focused great for that application. But when doing long shots like from a drone, the focus is soft in the distance. It all depends on what you are after.

I flew last night and only took stills. They still looked a little fuzzy. Funny, the video is noticeably more clear than before. That really makes no sense to me, but then I've never really consider the GP a camera for stunning stills even though some people seem to get fantastic shots with theirs. I have a 3.8mm lens coming and a new GPH4B coming so we'll see how that combination looks in comparison. I don't expect a huge leap forward, but the flat lens will be a very welcome addition, so sick of the fisheye. Again, the fisheye is great for sports or in automotive applications, but truly sucks in long distance drone shots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea