Well Whirlygig Talked Me Into Mavic Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
15010439674781380508608.jpg So I picked up my Fly More combo today and did all the updates and what not. I haven't flown it yet but here's the thing that strikes me right off the bat. All three of my systems are in the case with 3 batteries, the controller and a set of spare props. That is quite the size difference for sure!

We'll see how it flies

Okay... I have no idea why some of you have so much hate for DJI... Holy crap! This thing f-ing scoots! Rock stable, I let it hover for a minute over a fixed point and it didn't deviate over a couple inches. As far as DJI "restrictions" go...it let me set a 500 meter altitude limit. Now I understand that Solo and Karma have a "no limit" setting but when you lose signal at a few hundred feet what's that worth? It told me I was by an unpaved airfield but didn't try and stop me from flying or restrict me in anyway. I flew about 2000' away/400' before I got nervous but I still had full bars and a perfect video feed. I honestly think some of you have let your hatred of DJI blind you to some basic truths.

Reactions: Andreas Schroeter
DJI makes a very nice product. I just prefer to own my own destiny and be able to hack/upgrade my copter. Most of my flights with Solo are done with Mission Planner running. Nothing like it for DJI.
Assuming I have a GoPro, I can get 4 Solos for the price of one Mavic so I'm more willing to hack into a couple to experiment.

DJI makes a very nice product. I just prefer to own my own destiny and be able to hack/upgrade my copter. Most of my flights with Solo are done with Mission Planner running. Nothing like it for DJI.
Assuming I have a GoPro, I can get 4 Solos for the price of one Mavic so I'm more willing to hack into a couple to experiment.

Hey that's a fair enough reply. Nothing is perfect for everyone. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but Lichi? has an app out for DJI. Besides, the Mavic does "tap to fly" so that's pretty cool and more than enough for me. Like I've said before, just flying it around is what I like best. Video is a secondary consideration. I rarely use any type of smart shot but I admit intelligent follow me looks interesting.

+1 . can't agree more.

Okay, I don't want to sound like a fan boy but RTF almost immediately! Average of 16 sats. Almost a mile out with full bars on the radio. Records to my phone. Fast as hell! Quiet. Super stable. Almost zero drift in hover. 4k video without fish eye. Long flight time. Blah, blah, blah! I have to say that Whirlygig was right and I had been in denial.

Okay, I don't want to sound like a fan boy but RTF almost immediately! Average of 16 sats. Almost a mile out with full bars on the radio. Records to my phone. Fast as hell! Quiet. Super stable. Almost zero drift in hover. 4k video without fish eye. Long flight time. Blah, blah, blah! I have to say that Whirlygig was right and I had been in denial.

I think you meant to post all this mavic stuff over here: DJI Mavic Drone Forum

I believe this might be the wrong audience for this particular subject matter. ;)

I think you meant to post all this mavic stuff over here: DJI Mavic Drone Forum

I believe this might be the wrong audience for this particular subject matter. ;)

Nah, some people on here have interest in all of the platforms. If you don't then I wouldn't open threads clearly marked "Mavic" or "Karma" or "Typhoon H"... Control what you read, don't try to control what people write.

Reactions: cwalker1960
I would think folks interested in the mavic would look at the mavic forums. Folks looking for more information on the Karma would look at the Karma forums, etc. instead of a forum dedicated to a completely different platform. The folks that set these forums up have done a really good job creating a place for everyone to chat about their preferred platform. We should respect their hard work. I know you are a bit thin-skinned, not looking for a fight......but, mavic comments seem a better fit on the mavic forums than the solo forums. Wouldn't you agree? Besides, I am sure the mavic folks would love to hear all about it. More views and likes for you!

Reactions: DJMc
I would think folks interested in the mavic would look at the mavic forums. Folks looking for more information on the Karma would look at the Karma forums, etc. instead of a forum dedicated to a completely different platform. The folks that set these forums up have done a really good job creating a place for everyone to chat about their preferred platform. We should respect their hard work. I know you are a bit thin-skinned, not looking for a fight......but, mavic comments seem a better fit on the mavic forums than the solo forums. Wouldn't you agree? Besides, I am sure the mavic folks would love to hear all about it. More views and likes for you!

Sigh, a member of this forum talked me into the Mavic and I know for certain that several members of this forum are interested in the Mavic. The funny thing is people that already own a Mavic aren't interested in New guy gushing or comparisons to the Karma or Solo. I literally flew a Solo and my Karma today. To me it's cool to hear comparisons from someone who's used all of the platforms rather than everyone hide in their little corners. The guy from Vegas is awesome because he had several different types of drones and posts about them all the time. Oh wait, he always says that the Solo is the best. I see, it's okay to talk about other platforms as long as you are putting them down. Well, unless there's some kind of rule against comparing the Solo to other platforms that I own, I'll continue to do it. Besides, this group of forums could use a general forum. Since 3DR is out of it, I don't see why they don't just this framework.

Seriously, what is there to talk about? All the new features coming out? Next year's model? App updates? New cameras? Just go around and around about the same problems, upgrades and modifications over and over? The most exciting thing that's happened in months was when MA came out with GREEN props! Woo Hoo!!! Heck, couple that with the way new guys are attacked if they dare ask a question that was answered last year and I'm surprised the post count isn't lower.

Reactions: cwalker1960
The fact is, there is an Off Topic category and you posted in Solo Discussion. Certainly you see that your post would have been more appropriate elsewhere. When people find these forums, they are likely looking for information or assistance. If the sub-forums become cluttered with irrelevant or off topic posts, it makes it difficult to find the information they are looking for. I'm not a moderator here, but I am asking, politely, as an enthusiast, please post in appropriate forums and appropriate categories to help keep information well organized and easy to find.

I guess what I am wondering is that if solo sucks, we all have sour grapes and attack newbies to the forum while at the same time you have found one or two other platforms you feel are superior......why are you still here "debating" on the Solo forums all the time? You found a platform(s) you enjoy, which is great! But, so did the folks here. Why can't we just all enjoy our chosen platforms without extolling all the virtues of the other on the wrong forum while bashing the platform that is the focus of the forum? Sometimes you do have constructive posts. But, there is a lot of bashing. Bash away on Solo on those other platform's forums if you must, but you must know the folks here prefer the Solo and don't want to hear that. We all have the same appreciation of flying. I just don't think we need to be going to one another's forums to bash each other and cause unnecessary friction. Would you agree?

I'm not "bashing" on the Solo...I merely related what happened to me using the Solo. It's honest reality concerning the platform. Why wouldn't you want to know that?

I also can't understand why you wouldn't want to know how your platform performs against any other platform... On the sport bike forums, we are always discussing the pros and cons of each bike/manufacturer. To me it's the MOST interesting part of any hobby/interest. I want to know how my unit stacks up against the competition!

When I look to purchase almost anything, comparison reviews are the best tool! If you've only flown Solos, how valuable is your opinion, really?

I've never said this is a bad forum, in fact, there are quite a few decent guys on here. If I've tried to do anything it was too spice things up a bit. Honestly, what is there to talk about concerning the Solo other than how it stacks up against other platforms or who's got the lowest price?

What I mean by "sour grapes" is that some of you seem salty about the whole 3DR situation. I mean you went from buying the "smartest" consumer drone on the market, to an average drone, to the "best value" drone in about a year. Some of you spent over $1000 for something I got for little over $100 and considered disposable. That's got to suck!

Then there's the guys that are still hoping and dreaming that someone will take the time, money and risk to produce more upgrades for the Solo. Who knows, maybe 3DR will come back, right? However every day someone comes out with a drone that's way cheaper than Solo was, flies longer, faster, better, farther. That has a better camera, gimbal, etc. That's more portable, versatile, safer, etc.... That's what I mean about "sour grapes", you all get mad when someone says anything against Solo or pro another platform, even if it's absolutely true and demonstrable.

Last edited:
The fact is, there is an Off Topic category and you posted in Solo Discussion. Certainly you see that your post would have been more appropriate elsewhere. When people find these forums, they are likely looking for information or assistance. If the sub-forums become cluttered with irrelevant or off topic posts, it makes it difficult to find the information they are looking for. I'm not a moderator here, but I am asking, politely, as an enthusiast, please post in appropriate forums and appropriate categories to help keep information well organized and easy to find.

I can do that. I honestly felt that comparing the Solo to the Mavic or Karma would fall under "general discussion" on the Solo forum, I guess not.

Reactions: Bilge
Hey that's a fair enough reply. Nothing is perfect for everyone. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but Lichi? has an app out for DJI. Besides, the Mavic does "tap to fly" so that's pretty cool and more than enough for me. Like I've said before, just flying it around is what I like best. Video is a secondary consideration. I rarely use any type of smart shot but I admit intelligent follow me looks interesting.
I have a phantom 3 pro and fly it with litchi. I found it to be a very good program that you can create and fly way points with, litchi has improved lot of the dji go shortcomings and autonomous flight plans will continue beyond radio control. I just got a solo with gimbal because honestly it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Now when I get one of those situations where I might loose a bird out to sea I can send the solo. Plus I just like hacking stuff

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!

I have a phantom 3 pro and fly it with litchi. I found it to be a very good program that you can create and fly way points with, litchi has improved lot of the dji go shortcomings and autonomous flight plans will continue beyond radio control. I just got a solo with gimbal because honestly it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Now when I get one of those situations where I might loose a bird out to sea I can send the solo. Plus I just like hacking stuff

Fair enough! That's exactly why I kept buying them. I mean seriously, I can get a brand new Solo only from B and H for $150 shipped. Since, I already have a controller, batteries, props, etc, that might be the way to go. I'm still trying to fly my Samsung Gear 360s and a Solo would be the cheapest way. I don't want to modify my Karma or Mavic... I don't think I want to mess with any more BB "refutbs"...

Contrary to popular believe I've gotten very good at taking the Solo apart and putting it back together! The best thing about all of my experiences is that I'm basically familiar with most, if not all of the possible problems and their fixes.

...The worst part is dang Whirlygig never responded and that's who I was trying to "troll" in the first place because it was honestly his idea! Hahaha!

Lon, I have to back you up on this. I did in fact suggest you buy a Mavic and let us know how it compares to Solo and Karma. However, I do not think I said insult people, stir up hornets nest, and get us kicked off internet. Gosh, Ive been waiting for you to quit digging so I could throw a rope or something.

Attachments

• Digging.jpg
    Digging.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
View attachment 6678 So I picked up my Fly More combo today and did all the updates and what not. I haven't flown it yet but here's the thing that strikes me right off the bat. All three of my systems are in the case with 3 batteries, the controller and a set of spare props. That is quite the size difference for sure!

We'll see how it flies
The picture you posted shows GoPro karma and 3dr solo, not any dji product. Are those your Ruby slippers in the picture [emoji151] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377