Warning to potential new solo pilots! (Pre-Purchase)

J R

Reaction score
Dear potentionally new Solo Pilot,

As with many, more sophisticated and relatively expensive UAV's the Solo is a complex flying photography platform. It was developed using highly technical parts, systems, firmware and software. It is also a fairly new civilian technology in it's early stages of overall development for the mass-market. There are many variables that will effect the performance and stability of the craft. As with any sophisticated piece of electronic equipment it has many different components, systems and sub-systems that must communicate and perform a wide multitude of commands in harmony. There are many components that have the opportunity for failure. This is true with most any piece of electronic equipment.

Successfully flying a Solo requires a great deal of study and practice. At this stage it is not a device that you pull from the box, charge up and fly into the great blue yonder. You must familiarize yourself with the components that make up the craft and the various parameters that need to be met in order to successfully fly and maintain the system. You should do this prior to finalizing your decision to purchase this product. Due-diligence on your part will help you make a more informed decision and will help to negate a negative and possibly dangerous and costly mishap.

While the manufacturer has attempted to make this a unique and relatively easy system to deploy, you will ultimately be responsible to deploy it in a safe and informed manner. They have also built in various fail safe methods that can be implemented in the event of an emergency. Knowing those fail safe measures and being able to deploy them in a quick and very decisive manner without panic is essential. As with any sophisticated, mechanical, mobile vehicle, components will eventually fail and will require maintenance and repair by you, 3dr or an authorized service center.

If you clearly understand the things outlined here, you have some mechanical aptitude and you are willing to spend the time necessary to throughly understand the product and its capabilities, you understand that systems such as these are not toys and should not be treated as such and you know that components may eventual fail and require maintenance, then you may enjoy a new Solo. If anything I've written in this post, gives you pause, then please refrain from purchasing a Solo.

Many of us, including myself, have purchased very inexpensive drones. We have spent many hours learning how to fly them in a fully manual manner before moving into more sophisticated and expensive models such as the Solo.

The Solo is a fantastic machine under constant development and therefore should be viewed as an ever changing device. It becomes your responsibility to keep yourself informed of these changes. This forum and others like it provide a wealth of useful information about basic flying as well as sophisticated enhancements that users may be attempting to deploy. Participators in these forums range from layman, like me, to high-end aerodynamic engineers and everything in between. Pour through these pages and you will find countless ways to enhance and better your Solo experience.

Bottom line, know what you're getting into before you pull the trigger on a Solo. Be responsible for your own due-diligence. If you purchase a Solo and you do the things outlined here, you'll probably have a good experience. If you buy a Solo and do not do the things suggested here, you'll probably be coming here anyway for help with your mysterious fly-away or crash.

Just so you know beforehand, sometimes they do fly-away or crash at no fault of yours. It can happen to me the layman or the aerodynamic engineer.

You have been warned. Please enjoy your Solo experience.

Disclaimer: This is all just my humble opinion. I am not here in any authoritative capacity. I'm simply trying to help educate others, like me, by providing my experience.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Last edited:
J R,

Very good write up. To anyone considering a UAV who has no experience and is not a very qualified pilot with serious build skills do not buy this UAV. It is unstable as a technical platform and until they do with the Solo as they did with the Iris and create a Solo+ stay away. This UAV needs a total rework to the GPS/Wifi/Gimbal that will require new internal hardware and layout. Check back with 3DR in 2016.

J R,

Very good write up. To anyone considering a UAV who has no experience and is not a very qualified pilot with serious build skills do not buy this UAV. It is unstable as a technical platform and until they do with the Solo as they did with the Iris and create a Solo+ stay away. This UAV needs a total rework to the GPS/Wifi/Gimbal that will require new internal hardware and layout. Check back with 3DR in 2016.
Not gonna happen. It would violate 3DR's own stated goals and stated intention of product.

J R,

Area,

Thank you but my opinion would be a bit different than yours. Having a Phantom 2 Vision + V3, Phantom 3 Pro and now a Solo I am not attempting to dissuade anyone from purchasing a Solo or any other UAV. I am simply trying to make potential new pilots aware of what they are choosing to get into.

I believe the Solo is a solid machine with great possibilities. Like the others I noted and as my original post was intended to imply, they all have their own nuances. I've had issues with all of them. Education, research, patience and a willingness to solicit and apply information from those with more experience and a better understanding of certain aspects of each has kept all of them in the air.

The bigger intent of my post was to point out that these devices are very technical in nature and as such should not be viewed as toys. Should someone understand my original post and be willing to apply some of the things I wrote, I would very much encourage them to buy a Solo. I wrote the original post due to the introduction of this product to the big box mass retailers. Over the next 6 months this board will become inundated with disparaging posts about fly-aways and crashes. Especially as Christmas looms in the foreground.

It's already occurring in the Phantom forums. The good, experienced, technically educated and helpful original posters are leaving because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a bunch of arrogant and ignorant new posters slamming the manufacturer and the product, demanding that they be helped because the bird they charged up and threw in the air "just flew away" or so mysteriously "crashed".

At present, this forum is a treasure! I learn things daily because of the folks here who are willing to share their experience and expertise with me. I almost threw in the towel on my Solo but better judgment prevailed. I sought help from the many contributors here and have started to get fairly comfortable with this new bird and operations. It's not a Phantom, it's a Solo. Although the arena and the concepts are the same, the components, platform, systems, applications and flight characteristics are different. It was my responsibility to understand these things and determine if the Solo was a good fit for me.

I for one, am a very happy Solo owner today (tomorrow or next week, I might feel differently!:)). Even with some of the obstacles that I've had to overcome. I knew what I was getting into before I bought my bird, I did my due-diligence.

Respectfully,

Jerry

J R,

I too have experience. I don't think that this bird is ready for primetime. I get that many have left and many like myself have given up on it. We can only hope that the FAA announcements alone have an effect on all those potential buyers as this field of UAV's isn't nor ever should be considered a toy for the masses. It's a very technical machine, they all are. The sad part is that a company is allowed to release such a flawed product. Mine was not returnable because I had it too long I guess waiting for the gimbal which just doesn't work but then neither does the Solo. Does it have potential? Yes. But lot's would have to change for that to happen and software alone won't do it.

Marich,

As it is the Solo doesn't meet there stated goals. Given it's serious limitations this can't be the goto bird a professional can rely on. Due to it's wifi/gps it can't be flown in residential areas at least none I've tried to fly it in it will not hold GPS and wifi interference will cause controller loss/failure. Yes, in the middle of nowhere, open space it's fine but for the then flopping gimbal regardless of wire changes and endless taking apart to arrange things in an order to get it to work. So, if you only fly in open spaces and don't need a functioning gimbal buy the Solo. IF you have to rely on it to work when you leave the door and arrive on the job you better have something else by another manufacturer or one you built yourself as the Solo will probably have a failure. That's my experience.

If anyone on this board is an administrator please, delete my account. Honestly. I wanted to make a post or two as I saw a couple that like this where talking about the options for a UAV and what to expect. I've done that now and will go back to flying what I build or what I can rely on. Not a White one or Solo.

Sounds great I totally agree with areas last post at least,goodbye. Seems like someone who didn't do any of what was mentioned in the op and now wants to throw his fit. If you gave up long ago why are you now here other than to complain about something you no longer have and provide zero value to the forum. McCabe please do what he asked and give him the boot.

If anyone on this board is an administrator please, delete my account. Honestly. I wanted to make a post or two as I saw a couple that like this where talking about the options for a UAV and what to expect. I've done that now and will go back to flying what I build or what I can rely on. Not a White one or Solo.
As a photographer I spent less than I would for a pro carbon fiber tripod and bought a Solo. now I have a flying tripod! So far I have flown some 50 plus times, hit a wall softly( my fault) , lost gps once ( repair done by 3DR as the log showed it was a faulty part). I have flown mostly in remote areas and have had no problems with the gimbal. I often lose gps on landing if I stand to close to the landing site and under the drone, I am always ready to take control! Its a hi tech product with a reasonable learning curve. So far it has given me less trouble than most of my iphone gadgets etc.
Its a solid flying tripod and a kids dream come true!
The best thing any drone buyer or flyer can do is spend an hour watching drone crashes on youtube, its full of what not to do! A sobering look at what can go wrong.
I plan to buy a parachute and a gps tracker and keep pushing the limits!

Farout,

I use the Marco Polo system on my birds and love them. It's small and compact. You can track to devices with one receiver and there are no monthly or subscription fees. The only caveat is that you have to be within about two miles of the tracker to get a read on it. Once you've got a read it's simply a matter of following arrows. You can read about it here:

RC Model Tracking and Recovery - Pet Tracking Made Easy | Marco Polo The Pet Tracking System

Jerry

Reactions: Raybro
I too have experience. I don't think that this bird is ready for primetime.

All depends on what one considers "primetime".

I can agree that 3DR might go a little far in their "so easy a monkey can fly it" marketing. It might be true in perfect conditions, and there are many times perfect conditions exist, but there are many times they don't too.

And this is where the consumer's responsibility comes into play. No one should expect an inherently unstable, and to be perfectly accurate, an inherent HIGHLY unstable aircraft, to be flyable by a total novice, 100% of the time. There's numerous conditions totally beyond the control of the aircraft's systems and 3DR itself - where one chooses to fly, the atmospheric conditions at the time and place - wind, cloud cover, temperature, etc.

I think people need to look at these things and be totally amazed that they're as reliable and as easy to use as they already are. If one takes all that as a given, I think they're simply expecting too much.

I also think it's totally foolish to drop as much as these things cost, right out of the gate, regardless of any marketing hype. Maybe I'm just more cautious with my money, but when I became interested in these things over the past 1-2 years, there was still so way I was willing to spend money with no experience. I bought fixed and then collective pitch helicopters and learned to fly them, I built my own small quad and learned to fly that, and I crashed and damaged everything multiple times, gaining experience and knowledge along the way.

If someone just wants to plunk down a big pile of money and buy a product that'll do 90% of the work 100% of the time, that's fine. But nothing like that exists yet, and it's naive to think that it does. It might some day, but not today.

If I may, I'll present the other side of the coin. For me, the Solo IS my first venture into the world of UAV's. What attracted me to it was 3DR's decidedly convincing marketing about Solo being the best drone out there for a beginner. I took the leap, and so far I have no regrets. I should also mention this was my first drone EVER...I had never even flown a $20 toy. My first flight with the Solo was my first flight ever!

That being said, I was fully prepared to exercise A LOT of patience, and took the time to understand the controls, the calibrations, etc. I went through the frustrations of GPS signals, gimbal issues, level calibrations, and all that fun stuff. I've had good flights, bad flights, some minor crashes, and a few serious panic moments (thanks to loss of GPS).

However, I have been having a blast flying it, and have thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience.

Patience is key.

Area,

Thank you but my opinion would be a bit different than yours. Having a Phantom 2 Vision + V3, Phantom 3 Pro and now a Solo I am not attempting to dissuade anyone from purchasing a Solo or any other UAV. I am simply trying to make potential new pilots aware of what they are choosing to get into.

I believe the Solo is a solid machine with great possibilities. Like the others I noted and as my original post was intended to imply, they all have their own nuances. I've had issues with all of them. Education, research, patience and a willingness to solicit and apply information from those with more experience and a better understanding of certain aspects of each has kept all of them in the air.

The bigger intent of my post was to point out that these devices are very technical in nature and as such should not be viewed as toys. Should someone understand my original post and be willing to apply some of the things I wrote, I would very much encourage them to buy a Solo. I wrote the original post due to the introduction of this product to the big box mass retailers. Over the next 6 months this board will become inundated with disparaging posts about fly-aways and crashes. Especially as Christmas looms in the foreground.

It's already occurring in the Phantom forums. The good, experienced, technically educated and helpful original posters are leaving because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a bunch of arrogant and ignorant new posters slamming the manufacturer and the product, demanding that they be helped because the bird they charged up and threw in the air "just flew away" or so mysteriously "crashed".

At present, this forum is a treasure! I learn things daily because of the folks here who are willing to share their experience and expertise with me. I almost threw in the towel on my Solo but better judgment prevailed. I sought help from the many contributors here and have started to get fairly comfortable with this new bird and operations. It's not a Phantom, it's a Solo. Although the arena and the concepts are the same, the components, platform, systems, applications and flight characteristics are different. It was my responsibility to understand these things and determine if the Solo was a good fit for me.

I for one, am a very happy Solo owner today (tomorrow or next week, I might feel differently!:)). Even with some of the obstacles that I've had to overcome. I knew what I was getting into before I bought my bird, I did my due-diligence.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Both Good Posts above Jerry. And the first post would be just as valuable if you substituted 'Solo' for any brand of Multirotor. Having been in RC for years and a member of this forum almost from the beginning, I have to say that I attribute much of the fact that after 4 months of flying Solo and still on the original props to my experience in MRs and RC in general. There is no perfect product out there and many owners even with experience have had troubled machines. But a great deal of crashes and problems can be attributed to a couple of things that you touched on; New pilots expecting too much and 3DR promising too much and marketing to the masses in consumer electronics stores. The latter just gives me the shivers thinking about it! Little Johnny and Sarah asking mom & dad for this neat drone (regardless of brand) they saw in Best Buy or the adult that sees it on an impulse buy. They go home to their crowded neighborhood, charge it up and head out to the yard to fly with no prior experience or study! After all how hard can it be? I've seen the videos. I've played video games. All I have to do is hit the 'Fly' button. If I get in trouble, no problem, I have a pause and a RTH button too! What can go wrong?

The other thing that gets me, that we see every now and then, is people like #Area25. It's unfortunate that they have a bad experience, but they assume their experience is that of the majority of buyers and feel that they should warn people not to buy and make blanket statements about the design and insinuate that all buyers will have the same experience they did. And when you challenge them they will generally say something like 'just look around on the forums at ALL the people with problems! Why just last week, I saw 4 people that had flopping gimbal problems!"

I don't care what the product is, forums are no way to draw a conclusion about any product. You can go to any product forum of any product and find people with problems. Why? Because this is the age of the internet and WHEN people have an issue with any product THEY are the ones that will seek out and post their issue online. The ones that are using and enjoying the product are much less likely to go online looking for answers. Solo purchases are now way up in the 1000s, and many owners like myself are flying them just fine and pleased with the results and have had no issues.

I wish more buyers that have no experience study and buy a simulator program first. For most people this is a major purchase, why risk it so easily. At least read through these forums first and save some headaches. We still see people that get low to the ground, the Solo starts having an issue and they press the Pause key. Why? Because that is what 3DR wants you to believe is your anytime savior! But had you study some and read of others experience, you would know that if the Solo is having a problem in Fly mode, the Pause is not going to do anything as it is still in the same mode. I know many on here get tired of me preaching it so much, but learn and practice to fly in Manual! It's not only more enjoyable, it WILL save you $ and frustration.

Adios...mofo

J R,

Truer words have not been spoken.

Reactions: Raybro
It really figures that this person is telling someone else to delete their account.... When 30 seconds investigation would allow them to do it themselves. THAT is telling.... ROFL. Somebody learn for me. If I can't make it work without learning it is the manufacturers fault.

The fact that you purposefully overlook that MANY people make them work, and in fact espouse their affection for them says more about you.

Bye.

Change of subject.....
Beauuuuuutiful day for flying here in Texas. Sunny clear skys, no wind, temp in the 70s. LOVE IT!
Practicing up on a cable cam I will be doing at the school where I work. All the students will be outside, in school colors and forming the word "Lions".
Gotta get this right. Will try a Selfie as well if the little ones don't start getting impatient.
I thought during the cable cam the gimbal would keep what I have in the frame, Framed....maybe asking too much. I did it manually and it's pretty easy.

Last edited:
Area,

Respectfully,

Jerry
You should run for Prez. brother!
Waiting for the day DroneFlyer steps on this forum....

Reactions: Earldgrayjr and J R
so your experience is enough to tell all the owners out there not to buy the product
glad I didn't listen to you, mine is rocking it. go troll somewhere else

Reactions: Gabriel Espinosa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea