Video, Wifi/LTE questions - New Pilot

Reaction score
Hi.
I recently picked up a Solo. I've only had a chance to update the software and look at the flight training videos so far. A couple questions come to mind.

I'm using a Samsung Note 8. I connected my tablet to my Solo Wifi.
How does FPV video display on my tablet? Do I need to use an HDMI to USB (from controller to tablet) or is it transmitted via the Wifi link? (The flight videos show a cable connected to the Ipad mini)
If it uses the Wifi link, how would my tablet simultaneously download satellite imagery for GPS flying? (The tablet uses Wifi OR Mobile Broadband, but never both at the same time.) So, if the tablet is connected to the solo Wifi link, it's not able to get internet data, right?

Thanks. I appreciate any description or direction to a place that covers how this works.
-The Juggler

No Cables needed. Just DL the Solo app from the Google Play Store. That give you the live video feed and control for smart shots, telemetry, etc.. You will need to cache the maps first before using the Solo app if you are going to use the maps.

Are you sure you can not connect to Solo WiFi and get on internet with LTE at same time?

As soon as he closes the app he should get disconnected from Solo right? So not being able to do both makes sense. I think the more accurate question is; get internet data for what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you can not connect to Solo WiFi and get on internet with LTE at same time?
I am unable to have both on my LG G pad and Nexus 7. I have looked for a workaround but have not been able to find one. When WiFi is connected, it disconnects the LTE for Data. Can still get calls, but data switches to WiFi. It's one or the other only.

As soon as he closes the app he should get disconnected from Solo right? So not being able to do both makes sense. I think the more accurate question is get internet data for what?
No. you can connect to Solo Wifi independently. Does not require the app and does not auto disconnect. Not on mine anyway.

But I am guessing the tablet is not smart enough to route both. They are typically designed to use Wifi if available to cut Data usage. So guessing once it makes a legit WiFi connection it wont route to the LTE anymore. Hmmm.

We're talking about two different things but you're right. If his Note has GPS Service, maps would be updated via the GPS band while connection to App and Solo facilitated by WiFi band. If it's just an old Note with WiFi only, he'd have to cache the maps.

edited for misuse of LTE and GPS terminology.

No. you can connect to Solo Wifi independently. Does not require the app and does not auto disconnect. Not on mine anyway.

But I am guessing the tablet is not smart enough to route both. They are typically designed to use Wifi if available to cut Data usage. So guessing once it makes a legit WiFi connection it wont route to the LTE anymore. Hmmm.

That's exactly right. Once it finds a valid Wifi connection (regardless if that Wifi provides the Internets or not), it shuts down the Mobile Broadband connection.

It may not be necessary to have internet access during flying, as long as the maps can be cached for GPS use. Would just be nice to know it can update maps while flying. But again, probably not necessary.

Jubalr, you haven't gotten the Solo app to work on your LG G Pad, right? I tired that initially, but it said it was not compatible.

Yeah, it would be great if there was a way to do it. But that's why I have been telling those with tablets that are cell enabled you still have to cache the maps. The nice thing is you can do it at the field if needed.

I am guessing its pretty simple. Use LTE (gateway) all the time. If you connect to WiFi then change routing to WiFi gateway. It doesn't care if there is any connectivity beyond Solo controller.

Would be nice if it would allow connectivity to Wifi for "network" purposes and check connectivity to the outside world like Google.com and if not ADD LTE.

I know there are boosters out there that allow additional speed by using both LTE and WiFi but would be afraid to try them.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is follow me if tabs are switching off data to use wifi how does follow me work? Or did I misunderstand something I thought my 5s was able to have both on but haven't tested it much so I could be mistaken.

Isn't this the big reason why people are wanting lte tablets instead of cheaper wifi only versions for follow and maps in the field?

Hmm.. my note 4 that I fly with has a "download booster" built in. The booster allows for data to be used with wifi and LTE to be faster. I will try and turn that on tomorrow and see if it works.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hmm.. my note 4 that I fly with has a "download booster" built in. The booster allows for data to be used with wifi and LTE to be faster. I will try and turn that on tomorrow and see if it works.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Be careful

Ok I thought that too but the geniuses at best buy had me convinced otherwise. So it's just iOS devices with data feature also have gps not that it's needed to use the gps feature. I asked if androids without data option had gps and they acted like I was the fool. I thought it was odd how they explained it since garmin and others have no net connection to work, but didn't feel like arguing with their Samsung expert, I actually asked in both departments and got the same wrong answer, I wish they'd say I don't know or look it up if their clueless about their products.

I am guessing its pretty simple. Use LTE (gateway) all the time. If you connect to WiFi then change routing to WiFi gateway. It doesn't care if there is any connectivity beyond Solo controller.

Would be nice if it would allow connectivity to Wifi for "network" purposes and check connectivity to the outside world like Google.com and if not ADD LTE.

I know there are boosters out there that allow additional speed by using both LTE and WiFi but would be afraid to try them.

I'd like to explore this more. My experience with any device I've had is that it is using one or the other for network, but not both. (This includes my Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Note 8, LG G Pad, and HTC One). All of those devices have LTE (via AT&T). Having said that, I'm aware that using the mobile hotspot feature must allow both WiFI and LTE to be active at once, so it must be possible.

I'm just not sure how to configure these Android devices to allow a network connection on WiFi, while also allowing data over LTE. Is that something that IOS just does?
-The Juggler

Ok I thought that too but the geniuses at best buy had me convinced otherwise. So it's just iOS devices with data feature also have gps not that it's needed to use the gps feature. I asked if androids without data option had gps and they acted like I was the fool. I thought it was odd how they explained it since garmin and others have no net connection to work, but didn't feel like arguing with their Samsung expert, I actually asked in both departments and got the same wrong answer, I wish they'd say I don't know or look it up if their clueless about their products.
The difference between your tablet or phone and a mapping device like a Garmin is the Garmin comes with the entire country (roads, not satellite) pre loaded inside. The GPS on an android is working regardless of data connection, but you may not be able to see a map unless it is cached. You phone or tablet does not come preloaded with maps.

Hi all,
So now Im a bit confused, I have been flying with a galaxy s5, what is the best way to fly? I have had the GPS on my galaxy on as well as being connected to the wifi, is this correct, or should I only connect to wifi? and what gives me the best connection between controller and solo, i have lost connection a few times in flight.....

Unless using follow me your phone gps shouldn't affect your connection at all. Connection in a lot of areas is very limited with stock setup, some have had decent range in good conditions but for those of us who fly near other signals it's not been so great. If you have your antennas pointed as the manual shows your only options for better reception is either move spots or upgrade your antenna. I have the fpvlr setup and love it it's not too directional and helped a lot with congested area range. My range is much better and video feed much smoother, I tried the stocks once since upgrading and landed to change back in 5 minutes mostly cause my video was so choppy right away. Others are having good results with the DBS panel but I'm not sure how directional or how it does with congestion they'll probably be able to chime in with their experience with it. Fast availability sold me on my setup but sounds like both are out now so it's up to you. Some folks have bought cheap router type antennas and had good luck too but it's up to your budget and preference which to try, that said upgrading unfortunatley is really your only option so far to improve signal strength. It's the one big issue that's been seen pretty much across the board unless you fly in open unpopulated areas all the time.

Great information, thank you. The "fpvlr" system? Where can I pick this up? Is this something I need to order online?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986