Video problems after the last update

Reaction score
Ok, I'm stumped. I was having rolling video issues so I followed some of the advice a few people on this forum and ordered a new HDMI ribbon cable. I installed it and the video issues seemed to be totally gone. Then, I just updated the software yesterday and my video has become choppy and keeps freezing up on me. It seems different than it was before. Before replacing the cable with the ribbon it was more of a rolling video that would occur when I would fly fast. Now it just freezes as soon as I take off and begin even doing simple slow maneuvers. Then when I land it starts working again! I tried swapping the ribbon back to the original cable and it is still doing the same thing. Now what? Have any of you had similar problems after the update? I don't know what to do. All my equipment seems to be running the latest versions of software.

I am planning a trip in a couple weeks and I really need to get this resolved so that I can use it to get some cool shots. Somebody please help... I need advice!

Last edited:
So I have been chasing this problem (rolling video, black-outs, video freeze) ever since I updated the 3DR Services App on my Samsung Galaxy 5S from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 on March 7. I have been in almost daily conversations with the 3DR tech support regarding this issue. FINALLY, TODAY, we had a bit of success (I had my RMA already to go to ship my Solo back to BHPhotovideo as I was at my 30 day return cutoff). 3DR was also ready to move forward with a Warranty Replacement as we had gone through every troubleshooting idea we could try.

So, here is what 3DR suggested I try today:

1) Do a factory reset on Solo and Controller using the information in this Link: Factory Reset | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
2) Pair the Controller using information in this Link: Pairing the Controller | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
3) Uninstall the Solo App (on my iPhone 6S, the other interface hardware I was using with the Solo App, not my Samsung device). Reboot the iPhone, then reinstall Solo App.
4) Perform the update on Solo's Firmware using the iPhone (6S) instead of the Samsumg GS5 (Android) using the information in the following link: First Flight Update | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
5) Check video feed and ensure the GoPro Hero 4 Black was on Firmware Version v03.00 (it was).

The suspicion was that the update via the Android app was corrupt in some way (3DR tech support was not specific).

So I took the Solo out and flew it (at my usual location), and IT WORKED. Video was much improved, video rolling only occasionally, and a black flicker only once or twice, and the video did not freeze (even when using the Solo App on my Android device). I flew out over 3200' without any problem! After the 1.5.2 update, my video was going black / freezing within 150' from launch - literally unfly-able.

In addition, one thing that was fixed (without any other changes on my Android device) was that I could switch between Tower (used for Autonomous flight control - for my surveys) and the Solo App (larger video display than Tower). Before, the video would not stream when switching between Apps on Android. So something was fixed in the video streaming protocol between Solo and the Controller that allowed switching between Android Apps (something I could do with 3DR Services 1.5.1, but not with 1.5.2).

Maybe this will help. I am very happy I don't have to send my Solo back. I really like the Autonomous programming feature that the P4 just can't match.

I'm a fan -- but I'm unconvinced. I had never seen a rolling video preview ever until the multipoint cable was released. Unfortunately, I also did a 51m tree-catch and had to replace my gimbal shortly thereafter. Since that gimbal change, I've had rolling video, that tight v-sync noise with heavy green and about 10 threads per inch (hehe), and also a few magically self-correcting blackout situations... as in, I'm flying and poof, lost camera control and video. Fly home, the camera is still recording but nobody's home on the app, and killing/restarting not any more effective than waiting 30 seconds.

At first I too thought it was a software issue... because I got the new gimbal up the road so quickly I literally forgot I'd changed it,and the new app version was still cool and front-of-mind. With a couple point releases since then, and no statistically relevant improvement (good days and bad days, and the mind makes up wacky theories, but fact is, it's still acting up, just not constantly), I remembered the new gimbal. I've added some adhesive copper shielding over the main power wires and will do more flying once I get some weekend time to do it (the days grow shorter down under, and work is a preoccupation).

I'm dreading the thought that the gimbal may just be a crap shoot in terms of some dodgy RF filter that works on some boards and not on others... because the one common thing is the correlation between working the motors and the video interference. But I have a limited amount of things to try before taking back my gimbal as defective becomes required. I might try shielding the entire gimbal controller circuitry from the battery and power lines.

One thing I am absolutely sure on, I flew 50-60 batteries of time with my first gimbal and never once got any rolling video. I did get the radio artifacts and gopro-isms but never once had the screen roll over, or react to full juice on one or both sticks. In fact I made a full lift with full yaw stomach-churner (intentionally) and not even a blip. Now, I am getting used to it, and sadly making excuses for it. It's a bad thing and I am not happy about it. Reinstalling the firmware on the gimbal I can see, but the procedure above doesn't seem to call that out, other than the update process would likely include the gimbal depending on whether the reset is passed to the gimbal, and whether it uses a second partition to revert to shipped default image, effectively overwriting when reinstalling.

I'm starting to think this may be more woo woo than science. :-(

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc