Video Down Under - 3DR Solo + Gimbal

Awesome! Great shots and editing- did you plan your shots ahead of time or just do them "on the fly"?;)

Awesome! Great shots and editing- did you plan your shots ahead of time or just do them "on the fly"?;)

Thanks for your positive feedback. No real planning ahead of time. All filmed "on the fly' in one continuous shot and editing was the greatest challenge in attempting to make it all "work".
I was out early morning practicing the smart shots (cable cam & orbit), as I thought the more practice one does, the better the outcome (usually). With the orbit shots, I altered the radius and altitude controls on the fly.

Nice. Hadn't seen that kambah track let alone from the air. Since 2012 eh? Been in Canberra a while but always something new sneaks by your notice. Welcome to Canberra solo owners club. (Think it's just you and me)

Nice. Hadn't seen that kambah track let alone from the air. Since 2012 eh? Been in Canberra a while but always something new sneaks by your notice. Welcome to Canberra solo owners club. (Think it's just you and me)

We well may be the only two in the ACT. Time will tell as others in our region join this forum.

I hadn't been to Kambah playing fields for several years until last weekend, so the track was a first for me too. Apparently, it was built in 2012.

This was my sixth flight with the Solo and new to flying. I've always enjoyed aerial cinematography in movies, docos etc. and always wanted to have a shot at it myself - the main reason for buying this bird.

Reactions: Timmytimetravel
We well may be the only two in the ACT. Time will tell as others in our region join this forum.

I hadn't been to Kambah playing fields for several years until last weekend, so the track was a first for me too. Apparently, it was built in 2012.

This was my sixth flight with the Solo and new to flying. I've always enjoyed aerial cinematography in movies, docos etc. and always wanted to have a shot at it myself - the main reason for buying this bird.
What is that track used for?

13nikos62,

Bought mine for same reason. Hoping to get good enough and comfortable with knowing its limitations and reliability I could use it for some shots. In the meantime if I'm traveling somewhere pretty I can throw it in and get some nice scenery.

Mad dog , track is used for remote control road cars. There is one other track in this town used for off road remote control cars.

I've often thought some of the enthusiasts on the dirt track would want some slomo of their cars in the air on the dirt track, 60fps is probably enough, (although tempting to bust out the fs700 and fluid head tripod with pan handles for some 240fps) and cable cam means you can just back and forth keeping your eye on matching start/stop and adjusting speed.

Maybe if there is a jump near an edge so you are not back and forth over the cars, and not over people.

It's only mainly going to be compelling in slomo from a low angle though, better be a low kp day and have a solid gps lock before flying so low. Also watching max speed you allow doesn't allow it to lower. That happens to me up high going for distance but could also be wind as well. Small margin for error down low

The track nikos has shot is ideal as no trees around it. Maybe a good one to try it on.

13nikos62,

Bought mine for same reason. Hoping to get good enough and comfortable with knowing its limitations and reliability I could use it for some shots. In the meantime if I'm traveling somewhere pretty I can throw it in and get some nice scenery.

Mad dog , track is used for remote control road cars. There is one other track in this town used for off road remote control cars.

I've often thought some of the enthusiasts on the dirt track would want some slomo of their cars in the air on the dirt track, 60fps is probably enough, (although tempting to bust out the fs700 and fluid head tripod with pan handles for some 240fps) and cable cam means you can just back and forth keeping your eye on matching start/stop and adjusting speed.

Maybe if there is a jump near an edge so you are not back and forth over the cars, and not over people.

It's only mainly going to be compelling in slomo from a low angle though, better be a low kp day and have a solid gps lock before flying so low. Also watching max speed you allow doesn't allow it to lower. That happens to me up high going for distance but could also be wind as well. Small margin for error down low

The track nikos has shot is ideal as no trees around it. Maybe a good one to try it on.
You can turn Solo on and film while holding it in your hands- it's like having a steady cam. You could stand by the track and get low angle shots that way. I've used it that way- it's much steadier than holding GoPro in your hand while moving.:)

Reactions: Timmytimetravel
You can turn Solo on and film while holding it in your hands- it's like having a steady cam. You could stand by the track and get low angle shots that way. I've used it that way- it's much steadier than holding GoPro in your hand while moving.:)

Cool idea. I do have a handheld GoPro gimbal. I put it on the end of a monopod for baby walking cam / petcam Etc.

All we need is one of those fake solo videos where someone cable ties the solo to the end of a broom handle for low mode :)

The compelling shots are the ones moving same speed as the cars. A 3-axis won't counter a running gait.

Looks like the steady xp just got its Kickstarter funding though. That might work so long as you frame wide... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela