Usine Tablet With Only WIFI?

Reaction score
I mostly use my iPhone 7 Plus with my Solos, but want to switch up to a tablet for improved mapping visibilty. Is anyone using a tablet to fly that doesn't use a SIM card for mobile signal? If so, how are the maps imported for flying in remote locations?

I have a mobile hot-spot device that creates a wifi access point using a mobile signal. That works well with most DJI UAVs because they don't use wifi to connect to the controller. Same for DIY 3DR UAVs. But Solo uses wifi for the connection between phone/tablet and the controller, and relies on the phone mobile signal for digital access to things like maps. That means I can't use my mobile hot-spot for the Solo. But I really don't want the headache of buying a tablet with mobile subscription with a phone service.

Am interested in how folks using non-SIM tablets are getting around this.

Thanks!

I have a Samsung Tab A 10.1. Normally I get my maps ahead of time at home for the place I'm going to fly. If I recall correct a while back I used my phone as a hot spot to down load a map and then disconnected and connected to Solo.

My mobile service charges pretty hi fees for hot spot use, so I bought a separate wifi hotspot device that I can buy whatever GB's I need when I need them without any plans. And my data can lapse with no penalty. But that doesn't help much with Solo. I'll have to learn the pre-loading of maps.

With my Samsung Tab A (no SIM card), I usually preload maps. In the event I forget or fly somewhere unexpected, I hotspot with my iPhone using Bluetooth, leaving the WiFi connection available for Solo.
The trick is to turn off WiFi on both devices to force them to use Bluetooth. Once the connection is established, turn WiFi back on on the tablet to connect to Solo.

Reactions: Maxheadspace

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421