US Army calls for units...

If the US army is using any DJI product then they failed to do their du dilligance. No doubt the Chinese (gov.) is collecting data from the DJI drone platform. Anyone that thinks they are not is a fool.

Could it be as simple as the people of the unit, the individuals, using the product for personal reasons.... If, as the article reads, video, voice or telemetry are captured. Could those devices, as a collective, reveal troop movements?

Being an open book to your friends is not always a good idea. Seems to me Millennials can't be disconnected... This should be interesting here after....

Sounds like the TekWars have begun, in other news.... Apple is stopping VPN apps from being available in china. Apple's stock rose over $10 this week on the news. Seems Apple has lost its compass, civil rights violation...just money for political control. Wow-just wow.

Could it be as simple as the people of the unit, the individuals, using the product for personal reasons.... If, as the article reads, video, voice or telemetry are captured. Could those devices, as a collective, reveal troop movements?

Being an open book to your friends is not always a good idea. Seems to me Millennials can't be disconnected... This should be interesting here after....

Sounds like the TekWars have begun, in other news.... Apple is stopping VPN apps from being available in china. Apple's stock rose over $10 this week on the news. Seems Apple has lost its compass, civil rights violation...just money for political control. Wow-just wow.
My brother is a retired brigadier general from the Air Force. He said the way that memo is worded indicates it is a widespread problem and they are concerned about classified info leaks.

What a great way to plant a spy in the midst of an enemy!

He wasn't aware DJI drones can upload their info and eavesdrop on your conversations (neither was I).

He said classified information could be collected this way and conversations from the drone operators could be very revealing and damaging.

I'd be interested to know if DJI keeps this info stored and for how long. With all their drones worldwide, the storage capacity would need to be enormous.

Reactions: OldCoder
'He wasn't aware'?? Name one revenue-generating robotic company (e.g. Tesla) that doesn't use crowd sourcing and data mining.

I thought the military realised this problem long time ago.

'He wasn't aware'?? Name one revenue-generating robotic company (e.g. Tesla) that doesn't use crowd sourcing and data mining.

I thought the military realised this problem long time ago.
He's not a drone guy and he retired over 10 years ago. Not much drone activity back then.

Why would you think DJl is holding the info? That's naive thinking, if their gov said to stream the data, they would. As stated above, china does not care about your rights or their own people. Last time I looked they were a communist run country. We and our allies are currently being threatened by a communist nation state, that is beholding to china...

Anyway, it's an interesting story until proven otherwise. Wish more people saw the bigger picture, it's only the tip of the iceberg. Much greater issues at hand, seems profits or bargains allow people to look the other way.

Reactions: Jaybob63 and Maddog
Why would you think DJl is holding the info? That's naive thinking, if their gov said to stream the data, they would. As stated above, china does not care about your rights or their own people. Last time I looked they were a communist run country. We and our allies are currently being threatened by a communist nation state, that is beholding to china...

Anyway, it's an interesting story until proven otherwise. Wish more people saw the bigger picture, it's only the tip of the iceberg. Much greater issues at hand, seems profits or bargains allow people to look the other way.
Well, umm, they said they have it so they have it, right?

Add this to all the computer hacking by China and it looks like they are preparing for- what? Invasion? Or are they just stealing our secrets to get an industrial, scientific or military edge? I don't know. But if we just sit around wondering, instead of doing, by the time we figure it out, it will be too late.

And here endeth the lesson...

The DJI products were apparently being used in various roles at battalion level, with the devices used as well for training and adding drone ops into mission planning etc.
The Army has plenty of UAV assets for tactical work. Seems the DJI products were an adjunct primarily for experimentation and training, since the links were not robust enough for an [electronic] combat environment.
That been said, its a little disconcerting it took the cyber guys that long to figure out DJIs data use.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela