Upgraded mRo GPS. Only 2-5 satellites.

Reaction score
The process of upgrading the GPS on the solo seems to be straightforward but when I installed a new mRo board and the v2 gps shield I am only getting 2-5 satellites. Do I need to reset the solo somehow? Am I missing something?

are you inside?
Outside and waited 2-3 minutes. I was near some buildings but the Rev A board had no issues picking up signals in the same spot. I will try with a 100% battery tonight and see if I can get anything better. I was reading others were picking up a fixed signal in less than a minute.

Can you post a picture of the GPS installed? Just want to make sure you didn't install the GPS shield incorrectly. Also you may want to leave the drone sitting for a while powered on. See if it slowly picks up sats and then reboot, see if it picks them up a lot quicker.

I would re-visit the installation. When I installed mine I booted up and had a dozen sats in less then a minute and this is in a suburbs of Chicago with obstructions everywhere.

Reactions: Dave Tolsky
The process of upgrading the GPS on the solo seems to be straightforward but when I installed a new mRo board and the v2 gps shield I am only getting 2-5 satellites. Do I need to reset the solo somehow? Am I missing something?
In one of my solos i have rev a with the v2 shield i get 10 sats in about 30 secs. By less than a minute I'm locked and ready to fly while in the air I get 12 to 14 sats. Hdop is a .7..that's better than my rev b with the v2 shield. Being a new gps sometimes on the first time it takes alittle longer to lock sats. .put on a full battery and let it sit awile picking up sats.even when u have lock and ready to fly still let it sit and pick up more sats.next time u fly they should come in quicker. ..good luck

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the GPS installed? Just want to make sure you didn't install the GPS shield incorrectly. Also you may want to leave the drone sitting for a while powered on. See if it slowly picks up sats and then reboot, see if it picks them up a lot quicker.
In one of my solos i have rev a with the v2 shield i get 10 sats in about 30 secs. By less than a minute I'm locked and ready to fly while in the air I get 12 to 14 sats. Hdop is a .7..that's better than my rev b with the v2 shield. Being a new gps sometimes on the first time it takes alittle longer to lock sats. .put on a full battery and let it sit awile picking up sats.even when u have lock and ready to fly still let it sit and pick up more sats.next time u fly they should come in quicker. ..good luck

Left it on for 5 minutes and it finally acquired 12 sats. HDOP was 1.1. I turned it off and then back on again. It definitely took less time, less than 2 minutes but it never got any additional satellites or a better HDOP.

I will take some pictures this weekend. The sticky side of the shield was facing towards the gps module. The GPS module was installed in the same orientation as the old one.

Left.. t on for 5 minutes and it finally acquired 12 sats. HDOP was 1.1. I turned it off and then back on again. It definitely took less time, less than 2 minutes but it never got any additional satellites or a better HDOP.

I will take some pictures this weekend. The sticky side of the shield was facing towards the gps module. The GPS module was installed in the same orientation as the old one.

U are still good to fly with 12 sats and 1.1 hdop .while in the air I usually pick up more sats and my hdop drops..just in case something weird happens and u lose sats set a button to fly manual..

Last edited:
If you haven't flown in a while (maybe a week or two), your GPS unit will do a cold start vs. a hot start. A hot start is much faster.

I believe this has to do with the battery on your GPS unit as it weakens over time until the next time you fly and gets "charged."

If you haven't flown in a while (maybe a week or two), your GPS unit will do a cold start vs. a hot start. A hot start is much faster.

I believe this has to do with the battery on your GPS unit as it weakens over time until the next time you fly and gets "charged."
Good call carpy.. I agree

Last edited:
I wonder if this is one with 3 constellations enabled. A thread a while back said it would be a problem for the firmware because of the slower refresh rate.

Reactions: blahdc
Does anyone use an app to determine how many satellites are visible before flying (GPS Essentials)? I am going to try testing it out again tonight and see how many are visible vs how many the mRo is picking up.

[QUOTE. D..id Boulanger, post: 135277, member: 7457"]I wonder if this is one with 3 constellations enabled. A thread a while back said it would be a problem for the firmware because of the slower refresh rate.[[/QUOTE]
Does anyone use an app to determine how many satellites are visible before flying (GPS Essentials)? I am going to try testing it out again tonight and see how many are visible vs how many the mRo is picking up.
Cooool .keep us posted

Cooool .keep us posted

Not sure if this qualifies as a scientific study but. I booted up the solo and had a stopwatch running. Here are the results:

2min 15 seconds Solo had a fix with 7 satellites, GPS Essentials was showing my phone had a fix with 17 satellites and 19 avaliable
3min 30 seconds Solo still had a fix bouncing between 9-11 satellites and a HDOP of 1.5

I sent in a ticket to mRo. I was definitely hoping for something a little better. I might try this same test this weekend and then install the Rev A board and see how it compares at the same time.

Yes u should get bettet than that with the mro...believe it or not my rev a with the new v2 shield works the best for me.. I get 10 sats in about 30 secs.. sometimes I'm locked and ready to fly be fore my wifi hooks up.. in the air I pick up 2 to 4 more sats.. hdop is a .7..this is better than my other solo with rev b. And v2 shield..its weird.. look into the new v2 gps shield.. works way better that thr crappy copper one

Last edited:
If this is a new mRo they come shipped with all 3 systems enabled GPS, Glonass, & Galileo, You need to turn off Galileo for better performance. If it is the new Module it will have a USB port to plug into a PC, now install U-center u-center Windows and just disable Galileo and leave all the other parameters the same...The older mRo did not have this problem as it only had the 2 systems enabled..See this post here > Mro gps

Edit: Never mind I see you Already figured this out move along people

Reactions: Solo Keith
If this is a new mRo they come shipped with all 3 systems enabled GPS, Glonass, & Galileo, You need to turn off Galileo for better performance. If it is the new Module it will have a USB port to plug into a PC, now install U-center u-center Windows and just disable Galileo and leave all the other parameters the same...The older mRo did not have this problem as it only had the 2 systems enabled..See this post here > Mro gps

Edit: Never mind I see you Already figured this out move along people

Thanks. Looks like I may have disabled a few too many systems in the configuration menu. I will have to revisit this tonight. Appreciate the help!

I frequently use the 'GPS Plan' and 'UAV Forecast' apps on my iPhone before a launch. Both provide current info - at your current launch location - and forecasts. I like the two views of satellite constellations and overall predicted sat locks in GPS Plan.

Reactions: blahdc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421