Unknown Battery Message on Controller Display

Reaction score
I was doing some practice flying on Friday afternoon. Shortly after I powered up the controller and Solo, the following message appeared on the controller display:

Unknown Battery
Battery information displayed may not be accurate
(or something like this, I am paraphrasing somewhat)

The message would appear, then disappear on its' own after a few seconds. It popped up a few more times during flight. I was getting the same message on 3 different batteries that I tried.

Despite the message, Solo flew normally, and all battery information displayed on the controller and on Solex appeared to be completely normal.

Has anyone every experienced this before? This was on a stock Solo that I use for filming, and it has Open Solo 3.0.0. I bought it used about a month ago, and it has flown really well since I acquired it. I even flew it the afternoon before with no problems whatsoever.

I have not open it up and check the wires at the battery terminal yet. I also have a Green Cube Solo, but I have not flown it since a few weeks ago.

First thought is the battery data terminal/wire has a poor connection to the main board. Take the battery tray off and give it a look.

You don't mention whether you are getting any battery data to the app...when this happens.

Reactions: JBAlaska
First thought is the battery data terminal/wire has a poor connection to the main board. Take the battery tray off and give it a look.

You don't mention whether you are getting any battery data to the app...when this happens.
Everything appears normal. Battery data on the controller (% remaining), and the battery data on the Solex on screen display (% remaining, voltage, current, etc.).

Everything appears normal. Battery data on the controller (% remaining), and the battery data on the Solex on screen display (% remaining, voltage, current, etc.).
Hmmm, very strange. You have to assume it is within Solo, being that all three batteries resulted in same issue.

I had repeating issues with the battery data wires, the common 0% issue. Got to the point I re-soldered it at the battery circuit board and the female connector on the main board. At the same time I noticed fang marks from the connector's solder pins into the hdmi cable, thinking the hdmi shielding was grounding it in some way. I applied a spacer to the hdmi cable and zip tied it back on. I'm not certain what exactly fixed my problem, but it hasn't been an issue since.

Sorry you have an issue. Hopefully someone will have a better answer.

Hmmm, very strange. You have to assume it is within Solo, being that all three batteries resulted in same issue.

I had repeating issues with the battery data wires, the common 0% issue. Got to the point I re-soldered it at the battery circuit board and the female connector on the main board. At the same time I noticed fang marks from the connector's solder pins into the hdmi cable, thinking the hdmi shielding was grounding it in some way. I applied a spacer to the hdmi cable and zip tied it back on. I'm not certain what exactly fixed my problem, but it hasn't been an issue since.

Sorry you have an issue. Hopefully someone will have a better answer.
I opened it up and took a look at the battery data wires. Nothing seemed out of place. Connections looked good at both ends. I tried to separate the wires a bit more. We will see what happens.
Fortunately, flight performance and duration were fine.
So I got that going for me, which is nice...
It is very odd that, between the FB groups and this forum, a search found no one else reporting this problem.

Sometimes I really hate being 1st...

I opened it up and took a look at the battery data wires. Nothing seemed out of place. Connections looked good at both ends. I tried to separate the wires a bit more. We will see what happens.
Fortunately, flight performance and duration were fine.
So I got that going for me, which is nice...
It is very odd that, between the FB groups and this forum, a search found no one else reporting this problem.

Sometimes I really hate being 1st...
Maybe clearing your caches will clear the message as all telemetry is working fine.

Might be good to take a look at the protection layer between the gimbal and the board. I recently got a parts solo that had crashed and the gimbal ripped through that material, shorting out the board. Probly not the case, but worth a look.

I was doing some practice flying on Friday afternoon. Shortly after I powered up the controller and Solo, the following message appeared on the controller display:

Unknown Battery
Battery information displayed may not be accurate
(or something like this, I am paraphrasing somewhat)

The message would appear, then disappear on its' own after a few seconds. It popped up a few more times during flight. I was getting the same message on 3 different batteries that I tried.

Despite the message, Solo flew normally, and all battery information displayed on the controller and on Solex appeared to be completely normal.

Has anyone every experienced this before? This was on a stock Solo that I use for filming, and it has Open Solo 3.0.0. I bought it used about a month ago, and it has flown really well since I acquired it. I even flew it the afternoon before with no problems whatsoever.

I have not open it up and check the wires at the battery terminal yet. I also have a Green Cube Solo, but I have not flown it since a few weeks ago.
Does it do that with all batteries? If so, I agree with @RichWest that it must be on the main board.

I have had problems with LEDs (not Solo related) having solder joints that looked fine but were bad. Once I heated them up and re-melted the solder, they worked fine.

Yesterday, I removed the battery tray and moved the battery terminal data wires around a bit. I didn't see anythign out of place (frayed wire, wire coming loose), but I tried to separate the wires a bit more.

I flew last night, three different times, and no battery warning, for two different batteries.

Must have been a loose connection at the battery terminal, or a data wire in contact with something else. Hopefully my problem is solved.

I have the same issue on both my Solo, one Open Solo and one Arducopter 3.5.4 on Cube 2.0 I'm thinking it is about controller battery but not sure. Two different controllers. One have stock battery, one extended capacity, 3DR. For both I'm using Nexus 2013 with Solex app.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000