unboxing

Reaction score
brand new solo arrived today what would you not do? Any best firmware or other tips before I get started?

I've had mine a couple months now and fly totally stock..right out the box ready to go..I haven't had to do any calibrations or anything like that..which I was thinking I would have to,but glad I haven't,..im also using the stock solo app for now.. everything works fine.

Thanks guys here's what happened.
1) The system forced me to update to to 2.4.2
2) The system bugged me to rename my wi-fi name
3) I had to switch from Google Maps to Map Box to see any maps
4) The system had me do a compass calibration
5) On first flight with new battery the battery drained very quick 60% to 10% in about 7 minutes.
6) On 2nd flight with old battery the system required me to do a level which was touch because I was on a wet grassy slope but I found a flat'ish spot and performed level.
7) Old Battery that I haven't used in 9 months had fresh charge and was awesome. I'm looking forward to this new battery getting up to snuff after first couple of full charges.

Impressions: This is my second 3dr, the first one I bought used and it was really beat up had very short wifi range for example I couldn't go up more than 175 feet something must have been damaged.. I had a great time flying it (way more fun than p4) but it had fly away and flew into wall at full speed (BOOM). This 3DR out of the box has really good wifi range I got it up to 400 feet easy and 1000 feet away still had strong bars. Flying 3DR compared to DJI is much more tactile experience because of the inertia that 3DR carries, I turned gimbal speed up to 100% and Flight speed to about 80% for safest operation but I would not dare get this drone close to trees or other obstacles there is no where near the confidence I have with my P4. I'm glad to have this drone now I can take my buddies and kids out and everyone can have some fun. Next step is to find a GoPro, are there any alternative action cams that will transmit video?

Reactions: june03dr
I've had mine a couple months now and fly totally stock..right out the box ready to go..I haven't had to do any calibrations or anything like that..which I was thinking I would have to,but glad I haven't,..im also using the stock solo app for now.. everything works fine.
That won't last lol I flew stock for less than a month before I started modding mine. I got the "bug" and have been buying upgrades for it ever since. [emoji41]

Thanks guys here's what happened.
1) The system forced me to update to to 2.4.2
2) The system bugged me to rename my wi-fi name
3) I had to switch from Google Maps to Map Box to see any maps
4) The system had me do a compass calibration
5) On first flight with new battery the battery drained very quick 60% to 10% in about 7 minutes.
6) On 2nd flight with old battery the system required me to do a level which was touch because I was on a wet grassy slope but I found a flat'ish spot and performed level.
7) Old Battery that I haven't used in 9 months had fresh charge and was awesome. I'm looking forward to this new battery getting up to snuff after first couple of full charges.

Impressions: This is my second 3dr, the first one I bought used and it was really beat up had very short wifi range for example I couldn't go up more than 175 feet something must have been damaged.. I had a great time flying it (way more fun than p4) but it had fly away and flew into wall at full speed (BOOM). This 3DR out of the box has really good wifi range I got it up to 400 feet easy and 1000 feet away still had strong bars. Flying 3DR compared to DJI is much more tactile experience because of the inertia that 3DR carries, I turned gimbal speed up to 100% and Flight speed to about 80% for safest operation but I would not dare get this drone close to trees or other obstacles there is no where near the confidence I have with my P4. I'm glad to have this drone now I can take my buddies and kids out and everyone can have some fun. Next step is to find a GoPro, are there any alternative action cams that will transmit video?
Just about any GoPro knockoff will transmit video such as sjcam,Yi cam,etc.. although different folks have had different experiences..I personally have used the 2 mentioned above with success..you must press record on the camera before takeoff though you cannot use the apps functions for that..but you will be able to get a video feed and be recording video while in flight without actually spending 200 on a GoPro..I used them for a while but I now have a hero 4 black and it really is worth it if you're able to get one.

Just about any GoPro knockoff will transmit video such as sjcam,Yi cam,etc.. although different folks have had different experiences..I personally have used the 2 mentioned above with success..you must press record on the camera before takeoff though you cannot use the apps functions for that..but you will be able to get a video feed and be recording video while in flight without actually spending 200 on a GoPro..I used them for a while but I now have a hero 4 black and it really is worth it if you're able to get one.
Thanks Overdriver sounds like get what you pay for ill look for Gopro on Black Friday

No problem..and yes unfortunately we do get what we pay for..I ended up spending a few hundred bucks on cheap cams before I finally got the actual GoPro when I really should have bought the real thing from the start..however the other cams do work good and I use them often for other activities..so it all worked out for me anyway but for this drone specifically,yes go with the actual GoPro..enjoy it man!

Thanks Overdriver sounds like get what you pay for ill look for Gopro on Black Friday
Like Overdriver i also tried using a different camera (with no luck) before I bought a Gopro. I found a new open box GP4 black for a good price on Ebay and it's been working great. Keep looking and you will find a deal out there.

Like Overdriver i also tried using a different camera (with no luck) before I bought a Gopro. I found a new open box GP4 black for a good price on Ebay and it's been working great. Keep looking and you will find a deal out there.
Yes you can find deals if you hunt hard enough..I got my hero 4 black for 180$ used in great shape..not exactly a deal but it seems to be the going rate for that model and even though I didn't want to pay that much I am happy with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc