Trouble with Solo App and Solex on Kindle Fire

jxo

Reaction score
Am a new owner of a Solo-- the package just arrived. Still in the setup mode. I have a GP Hero 5 Black connected on the Solo's micro hdmi cable (no gimbal for now).

Have the Solo app loaded on an iPhone. Solex and the Solo app are loaded on a Kindle Fire 7 (7th Gen), Fire OS 5.4.0.1.

I use the following startup sequence: power on GoPro, power Solo, power controller, connect iPhone or Fire to Solo wifi, launch app.

With the iPhone, the Solo app launches fine and I get a good video stream from the GP5 Black back to the Solo app on the iPhone.

But with the KindleFire, with both the Solo app and with Solex, the app launches and connects to the vehicle/Solo but when I click the fly button, I get a very brief image of the video feed from the GP5 but then the app shuts down.

I get the same shutdown result when the GoPro is not attached on the hdmi to the Solo.

I have tried reinstalling both Apps.

any suggestions? ..... other than buying another Android device...

Last edited:
Turn debug on in Solex.
Go to App Settings | Show Debug Info. Then try again and with a little luck you might be able to catch the exception in a text file in the folder crash_log in Android | data | com.fognl.solex | files.

thanks much Carpy. I checked the box for "Show Debug Info" in the App Settings. Same result when I launch Solex again. BTW, it's the same result whether or not a camera is connected.

Where do I look for the text file for an exception? Not too familiar with this Kindle device.

For kicks have you tried different video resolutions? With my Mini 4 I'm fine in resolutions up to 1080p but if I use 2.7 or 4K the screen goes black or the app crashes when I start to record.

If none of that works I'm thinkin' the Kindle is not compatible.
Anybody out there know for sure?

The kindle by default does not support Google Play services, you have to hack the Kindle to actually run any type of software that's not directly from the Kindle store (it runs a somewhat custom form of Android). The fact that he was able to connect to the solo and get any type of video feed means he already knows this. I even managed to install the actual 3DR solo app on an unhacked version of the kindle, but not a chance of it actually running and working "this app requires google play services to be installed". If anyone else has a different experience or has gotten solex to work on the Kindle, let me know how, but I suspect it involves rooting the kindle.

Reactions: carpy
The kindle by default does not support Google Play services, you have to hack the Kindle to actually run any type of software that's not directly from the Kindle store (it runs a somewhat custom form of Android). The fact that he was able to connect to the solo and get any type of video feed means he already knows this. I even managed to install the actual 3DR solo app on an unhacked version of the kindle, but not a chance of it actually running and working "this app requires google play services to be installed". If anyone else has a different experience or has gotten solex to work on the Kindle, let me know how, but I suspect it involves rooting the kindle.

Yes, I installed the 4 APK files in order to get the Google Play Apps to work. I do not believe this version of the Fire 7 (7gen) is rootable yet. It could be that this Amazon OS is not compatible with the Solo and Solex apps; although all the other Google Apps are working fine. I may need to spring for another Android device.

There is a warning on some sites that tell you how to do this. The warning basically says that some Google Play apps will not work. So it could be a compatibility issue alright. Have you just tried solex or have you tried with the 3dr app too? Also, have you experimented with different frame rates and resolutions?

I tried both Solex and the Solo Apps-- basically the same result. App launches and locates and connects to the drone fine. When you hit the fly button, both Apps operate for a moment, then shut down.

It is the same result when NO camera is attached. I thought the Kindle may be choking on the video feed, so I unplugged the GoPro. Same result.

I have the Amazon Fire 7 and 8HD running the Solo App ok, I have used a GoPro 4 black and a Eken 9 with the Solo gimbal and also HDMI directly and the video displays ok on the Fire. Do other Google Play apps work. I would suggest deleting and reinstalling Solo app.

I have the Amazon Fire 7 and 8HD running the Solo App ok, I have used a GoPro 4 black and a Eken 9 with the Solo gimbal and also HDMI directly and the video displays ok on the Fire. Do other Google Play apps work. I would suggest deleting and reinstalling Solo app.
thanks. Can you confirm the Fire 7's generation and OS? I have tried reinstalling. I did a factory reset and reinstalled the 4 APK files making sure they were the most recent versions.

thanks much Carpy. I checked the box for "Show Debug Info" in the App Settings. Same result when I launch Solex again. BTW, it's the same result whether or not a camera is connected.

Where do I look for the text file for an exception? Not too familiar with this Kindle device.
I have an older Kindle so I'm not sure where to look for the logs. Find them though, as they should let you know why you are having the problem(s).

I know a couple of the websites did warn that the APK files could be out of date. You'll probably also need to confirm which version of the Fire O/S is installed, too new a version and it could block the APK files from working properly. Just go into your kindle setting and look for the software version information.

You guys are great. thanks for the feedback. Kindle Fire 7 (7th Gen), Fire OS 5.4.0.1. I thought the same re: the APK files, so I did a factory reset and reinstalled the APK files with the latest versions. I will talk to Amazon device support tonight when I am home with the Solo. BTW, if I am not attached to the Solo, I can open the Solex App (obviously, it does not connect to a vehicle) and when I press the fly button I get the flight page (not sure what to call it) on the Kindle and the app does not shut down. This is the page with distance and altitude at the top left and controls, telemetry, commands and the camera icon. This page would only flash for a second when connected to the Solo then shut down.

You guys are great. thanks for the feedback. Kindle Fire 7 (7th Gen), Fire OS 5.4.0.1. I thought the same re: the APK files, so I did a factory reset and reinstalled the APK files with the latest versions. I will talk to Amazon device support tonight when I am home with the Solo. BTW, if I am not attached to the Solo, I can open the Solex App (obviously, it does not connect to a vehicle) and when I press the fly button I get the flight page (not sure what to call it) on the Kindle and the app does not shut down. This is the page with distance and altitude at the top left and controls, telemetry, commands and the camera icon. This page would only flash for a second when connected to the Solo then shut down.
Please please let us know how it goes when you talk to Amazon device support re: this issue.
:D

Amazon tech support could not help and its not worth the wasted time to pursue more. the Fire 7 is going back and will try the Fire 8 instead.

thanks. Can you confirm the Fire 7's generation and OS? I have tried reinstalling. I did a factory reset and reinstalled the 4 APK files making sure they were the most recent versions.
It is Fire OS 5.6.0.0.

Amazon tech support could not help and its not worth the wasted time to pursue more. the Fire 7 is going back and will try the Fire 8 instead.
Wow that's shocking. I cannot believe that Amazon wouldn't help you in this matter. If I were you I'd make a lot of complaints about this, as loudly as possible and to as many people as possible.

Pretty sure if the older version of a 7 wouldn't work, a newer 8 isn't going to work either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc