Travelling with drone...

Reaction score
So my first preference would be to have the drone as a carry on item. Batteries are fine according to the airline specs. However the CS400 case is about 2 inches too big for a carry on. The 3DR backpack is also too big. I cannot get external dimensions on the Navitech Rugged Backpack, it does look smaller than the 3DR and the CS400 however haven't found any good footage or pics to do a comparison.

I can always stuff it in a regular backpack but not happy with the lack of protection that way. So anyone else get any thoughts at all? (that are related.... I just realized what I would do if asked that question....)

I have some travel coming up and am wondering the same thing, I am thinking of getting a carry on bag (airline type luggage) that is ok for carry on(the right dimensions) and cutting foam to protect my drone and accessories, It would be rough, cut with a knife etc, wouldn't look pretty but I would make sure the drone was well protected. I also have the CS400 case and yeap....too long

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I'm thinking, remove the legs and gimbal, put it in a backpack and put the gimbal in the original box. That way the backpack will easily slide under the seat in front. I don't want it in the overhead and someone comes along and throws their bag on top of it. Let's face it, we've all seen idiots in planes...

I'm thinking, remove the legs and gimbal, put it in a backpack and put the gimbal in the original box. That way the backpack will easily slide under the seat in front. I don't want it in the overhead and someone comes along and throws their bag on top of it. Let's face it, we've all seen idiots in planes...

That's not a bad idea, didn't think of that, and yes, plenty of idiots on planes (even here in Aus) that don't give a #### about anyone else or their luggage

Couldn’t you put it in a rigid case with tsa locks so the baggage handlers can’t put their dick-skinners all over it and check it in?

I have used my 3dr bag as carry on with no problems, it fit's fine in the overhead bins. If you check it you can only have ONE battery.

Couldn’t you put it in a rigid case with tsa locks so the baggage handlers can’t put their dick-skinners all over it and check it in?
Sure, got an extra $120+ lying about? Some of us already spent all our money on drone parts.... :D

I have used my 3dr bag as carry on with no problems, it fit's fine in the overhead bins. If you check it you can only have ONE battery.
It's a risk though, all I need is to get on board and have them say "we need to check your bag, there's not enough room on the plane..."

I've travelled with the 3DR backpack no problem. Why did you say it was too big? Is it a very small commuter-type aircraft?

I was talking about the CS400 being too big. The 3DR backpack... I think it looks smaller but dimensions wise I think it's shorter but taller (or vice versa). This is a 4 hour flight and usually the flight is booked out, this means overhead cabin space is a premium and I really don't want my drone checked. So I'm leaning to the disassembly method and packing the gimbal in it's original box. That way I should be able to fit it in a backpack and slide it under the seat in front. However.... I also want to bring 3 spare batteries, 3 gopro's, spare batteries for those, a powerbank, my laptop and a change of clothes (luggage does go missing..). So now the backpack is kinda getting full...

I was talking about the CS400 being too big. The 3DR backpack... I think it looks smaller but dimensions wise I think it's shorter but taller (or vice versa). This is a 4 hour flight and usually the flight is booked out, this means overhead cabin space is a premium and I really don't want my drone checked. So I'm leaning to the disassembly method and packing the gimbal in it's original box. That way I should be able to fit it in a backpack and slide it under the seat in front. However.... I also want to bring 3 spare batteries, 3 gopro's, spare batteries for those, a powerbank, my laptop and a change of clothes (luggage does go missing..). So now the backpack is kinda getting full...
CS400 travels well as checked luggage. Took it to Greek islands last August. Only thing is lipo batteries need to be in your control in main cabin and limited to I believe to 4 due to total mAh per FAA website for commercial travel. Feels like a leap of faith, but it worked out for me.Total of four international flights with no issues. Only had 3 batteries with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela