Tower--flight time estimate

Reaction score
Two questions:

1--the flight time estimate shown in Tower when editing a mission is high by quite a bit. Any ideas on how this is calculated and how to how to make it more accurate?

2--when planning a mission in Tower, you do not need to create a speed waypoint. Any idea where the default speed comes from? Perhaps it uses the speed you set in the Solo app settings...

Thanks!

It will use the waypoint nav speed parameter, which you can set with Tower or Mission Planner.

I don't set a speed waypoint at all, just location waypoints in my mission.

In that case, what determines the speed of the Solo?

I don't set a speed waypoint at all, just location waypoints in my mission.

In that case, what determines the speed of the Solo?
There is a DEFAULT speed pre set in the parameter section. If there wasn't. you would have to set it every time, instead of only as needed. You can change the default if needed in the WPNAV_SPEED section of the parameters, or you can change it in your waypoints as you set the mission.

Just wanted to add that the default for WPNAV_SPEED is 1100 (at least it is on my Solo and I dont recall changing it) which is 1100cm per second or 24.6 miles per hour.

The Speed slider in the Solo app often gets confused with the above parameter and is totally different. The Solo speed slider in the options screen sets parameter "WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED" Setting the slider in the Solo app to "FAST" would be the same as setting WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED to 1100.

Regarding survey missions, will the gimbal point straight down or does that have to be set prior to launch?

You need to manually point the camera down using the gimbal control. I usually do this after takeoff.

Two questions:1--the flight time estimate shown in Tower when editing a mission is high by quite a bit. Any ideas on how this is calculated and how to how to make it more accurate?

I'm still wondering this question as well. The flight time estimate in tower seems to be based on some arbitrary speed value. Not the actual WP_NAV_SPEED or any speed change commands. It's not accurate at all.

In tower, when I select the parameter to set the speed, what is the unit of measurement? m/s? f/s?

units of measure in tower is displayed based your Unit System settings (settings>General>User Interface>Localization>Unit System). if set to auto it will use the localization of the device. it will either be m/s or mph. keep in mind that pixhawk uses c/s for speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Beck
I'm still wondering this question as well. The flight time estimate in tower seems to be based on some arbitrary speed value. Not the actual WP_NAV_SPEED or any speed change commands. It's not accurate at all.

the time is calculated based on the mission length divided by the speed parameter. if you aren't connected to a drone when you create the mission the default speed is 5 m/s.

the time is calculated based on the mission length divided by the speed parameter. if you aren't connected to a drone when you create the mission the default speed is 5 m/s.

Is it just using the WP_NAV_SPEED parameter? Or will it take into consideration speed change commands in the mission?

I could. But I don't feel like getting out of bed. I tried change making a mission just now without being connected and speed change commands had no effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986