Took out my 3DR with the gimbal for the very first time!

Reaction score
It was raining all day and only had around 30 minutes of non-raining time so I kind of rushed my tests.
I'm absolutely stunned with what the 3DR Solo (first drone I owned though) can do, and installing the non-fish eye lens in the gopro is also amazing!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ps. I can see that there are sometimes mini vibrations, it was a little windy (but not a lot). Is that normal? I did use a simple small filter on my gopro, could that be causing the problem?

Edit: updated with footage of flying for the second day

Last edited:
Very nice...this may be your first drone, but I can't imagine that is your first video production...no?

It's hard to say what causes vibrations...for me...others probably have better advice. There are a few things relating to cable routing inside the Solo that can transfer motor vibration to the camera (search the forum for that), but wind can also do it.

Reactions: kweeni
Very well done. Made me want to see more.
There's several reasons you could have vibrations and there's a lot of info on this forum and youtube on this.
The hdmi cable has been the issue for some. I replaced mine with a very flexible ribbon cable.
Moongel or sorbothane and balancing motors/props also helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: kweeni
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I wish I could show more Japan from the sky but I'll be on vacation to Europe 'till middle January! (I'm taking the drone with me though :D)

Very nice...this may be your first drone, but I can't imagine that is your first video production...no?
No, have been making personal videos as hobby for 2 years!

Reactions: Thorsg1
Really nice. Solo smart shots allows anyone to appear as a seasoned pilot with buttery smooth shots out of the box... How one frames or edits the imagery thereafter is the art that only a few possess.

More please....

Reactions: Wetstone and kweeni
That was damn good!

A couple of easy things to do/check is to balance motors and props. Several threads here and videos on YouTube cover it very well.

As far as eliminating micro vibes, we will probably find the Holy Grail first.

Hey guys, I updated the video with a few extra shots that I took today.
I do think my ND filter was too strong (used ND 16) because it isn't as sharp in some shots. I'll learn from that!

If you haven't been following @Wooskie thread it maybe worth your time, he mentioned his settings in a similar lighting condition.

https://3drpilots.com/threads/snow-shots.12051/

My opinion only, but the micro vibes is what is distorting the image to appear out of focus or extra-soft. Add to that slowing down the camera with ND filters, just gets worse. Many here have installed @User Name gimbal Data Patch Cable, which further isolates the gimbal from the micro vibes. It's not a fix-it all solution, just reduces one aspect of the vibes, the ones that are the most frustrating to deal with in post.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Hey guys, I updated the video with a few extra shots that I took today.
I do think my ND filter was too strong (used ND 16) because it isn't as sharp in some shots. I'll learn from that!
Something about that video just has an awesome feel to it...I think it's the lighting due to the storm in the distance. I say again...really great stuff.

It was raining all day and only had around 30 minutes of non-raining time so I kind of rushed my tests.
I'm absolutely stunned with what the 3DR Solo (first drone I owned though) can do, and installing the non-fish eye lens in the gopro is also amazing!

Ps. I can see that there are sometimes mini vibrations, it was a little windy (but not a lot). Is that normal? I did use a simple small filter on my gopro, could that be causing the problem?

Excellent videography. Did you get the Peau lens color profile correction as well?

WOW...... This looks like some professional video of a movie. Actually it's because of the color profile. Gray based theme.. no ? Did anyone notice that ? Have you use any post editing theme of something like that ?

Very nice Enjoyed the video very much. Your editing and music selection Send more

people so underestimate this platform
and don't put enough in their post game
a little work in post and boom

very enjoyable, and extremely good for a first shot

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I wish I could show more Japan from the sky but I'll be on vacation to Europe 'till middle January! (I'm taking the drone with me though :D)

No, have been making personal videos as hobby for 2 years!

Very good job, i like to see more too.
If you visite the South of France (Nice, Cannes, etc.) and want a second Solo to play, i will be happy to play with you.

Well done , great Video

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela