Tips for using Solo during the eclipse (8/21/17)

Reaction score
hey fellow pilots- i was surprised when i searched for "eclipse" that no threads popped up so I thought I would ask you all, how do you plan to use your solo on monday? i'd like to use mine to record the limited viewing we will have here in philly, but not sure if there is something i might not be thinking about.

One big problem is that the Solo gimbal doesn't allow the camera to point upwards, so you won't even be able to aim it at the eclipse.

Another problem is that the GoPro has no zoom lens, so even if you could see it, the photo would be mostly sky with a uselessly teeny eclipse in it.

Finally, good luck finding a filter dark enough.

One interesting use of Solo during the eclipse would be to fly near a large object (wall? bridge? skyscraper?) with a hole in it which would cast an image of the eclipse on the ground, like a gargantuan pinhole camera. I can't think of any such objects near me, but if somebody does, it would be a very impressive shot.

Another would of course be an aerial shot of a crowd looking up at the eclipse, maybe wearing those special eclipse glasses. That'd be cool.

Combine both of the above into one shot and you've got a guaranteed award winner.

One interesting use of Solo during the eclipse would be to fly near a large object (wall? bridge? skyscraper?) with a hole in it which would cast an image of the eclipse on the ground, like a gargantuan pinhole camera. I can't think of any such objects near me, but if somebody does, it would be a very impressive shot.
Pretty much any open framed structure will produce an image of the eclipse. The sun shining through tree leaves onto the ground will produce multiple images of the moon's shadow.

What would be cool is to video the shadow falling across a country side or city-scape. The GP should transition through available light for the ten minutes or so as the eclipse occurs. Maybe capture lights turning on as the event happens.

Think time lapse in real time.

Reactions: Joe Horn
I was thinking possible time lapse. Shadow coming across land would be cool.

You won't notice the sun change with solo. It's too bright even only partially revealed.

My plans are to get all my DSLR'S equipped with solar filters (making them this evenings) and film and shoot the eclipse with those. At the same time, right at the totality, I'm going to have one drone hovering above with it's polar pro lights on doing a time lapse of the land and the shadows and another drone doing a wide orbit shot of ourselves and the "steady" drone. Not sure I'll get a 3rd in the air at this time, but if I do, that will be following the orbiting bird.

How high would a Solo have to be to be photographed silhouetted against the eclipse itself from the ground with a telephoto? I don't even know if that's possible, but wow, that would be a killer shot.

How high would a Solo have to be to be photographed silhouetted against the eclipse itself from the ground with a telephoto? I don't even know if that's possible, but wow, that would be a killer shot.
Satellite distance maybe?
You won't notice the sun change with solo. It's too bright even only partially revealed.
It would be about an ND16 darkening....;)

Doing say, a timelapse, where it was possible to point the GoPro in the right direction, what about damage to the sensor? The sun would, hopefully, be illuminating the same spot on the sensor for quite a long time, even with short exposures??

Thanks for the info... i'll be out flying but sounds like I shouldn't expect much!

I can show you the math if you'd like. But it's actually about 220' for a "complete obscuration" and about 330' for a "ring around the SOLO". These numbers may vary a bit depending where you are relative to MSL. But below about 10,000' they should be good enough

one problem...GoPro

use a real camera on the ground and enjoy the event itself. Last thing I would want is to send up a noisy quad in a moment as rare as a total eclipse.

One can put the bird in the air 5 minutes before totality, then let it hover as one sets up the ground shot. Use a remote camera trigger and you can still slip on you eye protection and enjoy the moment in person.

And I don't think anyone was suggesting using a GoPro for the silhouette shot. I wasn't anyway..,

I was going to use my GoPro on a tripod and record the eclipse. I put it out in the sun camera pointing at the sun to see what the results would be. Camera overheated in less than 10 mins and shut off. Took a while for it cool down. It did take nice vid while it lasted.. I set the FOV on medium.
I also used the GoPro App on my phone to view it being I don't have the LCD add on for the hero4.

I'll keep my Solo grounded and will enjoy and record the eclipse from the ground using my DSLR with a filter on a tripod.
Flying a drone would be taking my attention from the event itself. Since there would be too many things to monitor, pay attention, etc. ;-)

I'll keep my Solo grounded and will enjoy and record the eclipse from the ground using my DSLR with a filter on a tripod.
Flying a drone would be taking my attention from the event itself. Since there would be too many things to monitor, pay attention, etc. ;-)

The best comment thus far. We have NO right to ruin this event for others, just to get a shot with our drones. Part of the magic is the change in the weather, the behaviour of insects and other animals, the sounds of the wind, the chill in the air, and the reaction of people around us. A total solar eclipse is a once in a lifetime event for most people. You can expect violent reactions from some people if they feel that you ruined this event for them.

Ask yourself if you would rather be fiddling with gear, or hugging your wife and kids during totality? Total solar eclipses are rare and special events. Don't ruin it for yourself or others!

The best comment thus far. We have NO right to ruin this event for others, just to get a shot with our drones. Part of the magic is the change in the weather, the behaviour of insects and other animals, the sounds of the wind, the chill in the air, and the reaction of people around us. A total solar eclipse is a once in a lifetime event for most people. You can expect violent reactions from some people if they feel that you ruined this event for them.

Ask yourself if you would rather be fiddling with gear, or hugging your wife and kids during totality? Total solar eclipses are rare and special events. Don't ruin it for yourself or others!

I agree completely with not distracting others with a drone flying around. I also agree completely with enjoying the precious 2+ minutes of totality without distraction if you are fortunate enough to be in the path.

However, the one unique perspective that a drone can capture is the approach of the umbrual shadow cone on the ground from a high vantage point. The higher the better... Since a drone is limited in the altitude it can reach - both legally and by battery life - it would make sense to seek out a mountaintop location from which to view the eclipse and launch the drone. I'd get the drone to altitude 3 to 5 minutes before totality and pointed in the right direction (WNW). Make sure the GoPro is rolling and then put down the controller and forget about it until after totality ends.

Reactions: otterdive
You can easily create a DIY solar telephoto lens for the GoPro that. costs less than $25 with these 4 items:

1. Neewer 52mm telefoto lens (eBay)
2. 52mm to something step up ring
3. CPL that matches the step up ring
4. Solar film. (8x8 on Amazon)

Simple instructions: on a clean smooth surface trace out the film to fit the CPL. fit the film to the CPL. Attcach tge step up ring between the CPL and the telefoto lens then attach the lens to to GoPro. Voila.

The glass optics in the telefoto lens gives it some heft. I've never attached this rig to my gimbal. The gimbal may not be able to handle the weight.

You can easily create a DIY solar telephoto lens for the GoPro that. costs less than $25 with these 4 items:

1. Neewer 52mm telefoto lens (eBay)
2. 52mm to something step up ring
3. CPL that matches the step up ring
4. Solar film. (8x8 on Amazon)

Simple instructions: on a clean smooth surface trace out the film to fit the CPL. fit the film to the CPL. Attcach tge step up ring between the CPL and the telefoto lens then attach the lens to to GoPro. Voila.

The glass optics in the telefoto lens gives it some heft. I've never attached this rig to my gimbal. The gimbal may not be able to handle the weight.

The gimbal will also not accommodate the upward angle. I'd forget the solar film and telephoto lens on the airborne camera. Point the airborne camera level, or slightly downwards to record the approach of the shadow cone on the ground. Use a ground based camera to record the eclipse itself.
Remember - if you are recording totality - remove the solar film the moment the solar disc is totally obscured. The solar corona is not that bright. If you leave the solar filter in place you'll record nothing of the best part of the eclipse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc