Tie replacement on the railroad. It's complicated.

Reaction score
Last summer the Union Pacific Railroad did a major tie replacement project on the tracks next to my house. At the last minute I thought that it would be fun to fly my Solo and attempt to document all of the specialized equipment the railroad uses to do track work. The video was shot in 4K and posted to You Tube at full resolution, all editing was done using Final Cut Pro. I finally finished editing last week and this is the video, I hope you enjoy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent work! You make it look easy - but there must have been an incredible amount of time and effort to put this together.

I'm forwarding the link to a train enthusiast - I'm certain he will enjoy it!

KenMc

Reactions: 2 Drone
Excellent work! You make it look easy - but there must have been an incredible amount of time and effort to put this together.

I'm forwarding the link to a train enthusiast - I'm certain he will enjoy it!

KenMc

I mostly spent time looking through the raw video to find what I needed to edit the final video. I also spent time finding railroad songs of the right length. On the end of the last song I overdubbed the sound of the train blowing he horn for the crossing, I liked how that came out. The editing is always difficult, but rewarding if the end result is good.

Please share the video link freely.

I really liked it. I almost wished for a lineup of all the vehicles in order as you flew backwards past them. Or a graphic placing them all in order.

Yes, I'm a little bit of a dork.

I really liked it. I almost wished for a lineup of all the vehicles in order as you flew backwards past them. Or a graphic placing them all in order.

Yes, I'm a little bit of a dork.

Yeah, that would have been good, if I had been more organized in flying while the track gang was working by my place. It was a spur of the moment idea, I kept thinking of following the gang up the railroad for more footage, but never did it. Inertia.

Love it - my dad it a train enthusiast I’ll be showing it to him to enjoy...!!!
Only how would I email the link - he’s in his late 70s not much savvy into tech
Is this anywhere else??

Love it - my dad it a train enthusiast I’ll be showing it to him to enjoy...!!!
Only how would I email the link - he’s in his late 70s not much savvy into tech
Is this anywhere else??

You should be able to search on You Tube for Leo Hoyt and find this video, there should be a share tab that will create a link. If that doesn’t work is can email you a link.

You should be able to search on You Tube for Leo Hoyt and find this video, there should be a share tab that will create a link. If that doesn’t work is can email you a link.

When you run the video above, there is an arrow icon below the video window that creates a link. Easy.

When you run the video above, there is an arrow icon below the video window that creates a link. Easy.

You need to click the tiny You Tube icon to get to where you can make a sharing link. I just tried and it worked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela