Tether System for 3DRobotics Solo

Reaction score
What's your flight time 15min.?
How about hours with this setup.
Found this posted @ FB 3DR Solo Hacks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
Who wants to hover for 4 hours, indefinitely? How would the motors handle that heat-wise, etc?

If we can make a DIY mod, Then it would be worth it as occasionally an aerial time laps.

Shouldn't be too hard? I seen them using AC power supply & i would guess a down converter, But what if we would use a car battery for portability?
I'm not a tech. kinda guy, but if it can be done, let's say 200ft tether from a car battery, it may last for 120 min.? that would be enough time for a good aerial time laps. "Oh my poor bearing"

Calling out all Techy guy available for answers.

I agree with Maddog. Hovering for a long time, even unlimited, is worth what? You may have an application for that long hovering in one place, but how practical is it, really? Also, the longer the tether, the more chances of snagging on something. I can see a longer hovering time being used in a monitoring situation, like emergency responders and such, but for the average person.....I just don't know.

You guys are missing part of the big story
Another company is out with a new works with solo product

While this one might not be your cup of tea, it is encouraging that companies are willing to invest R&D into solo
says a lot about the platform.

I agree with Maddog. Hovering for a long time, even unlimited, is worth what? You may have an application for that long hovering in one place, but how practical is it, really? Also, the longer the tether, the more chances of snagging on something. I can see a longer hovering time being used in a monitoring situation, like emergency responders and such, but for the average person.....I just don't know.
I remember reading an application to monitor traffic flow at an intersection. The guy was going to use a tethered blimp. Turns out it wasn't ideal for the intended application as it had less ability to maintain coordinates or orientation without additional tether points. He was performing the study as a citizen of the community in which he lived.

I'm fairly certain all safety and precautions would be taken to insure no entanglement of the endless power tether. I'd imagine the infinifly has some reserve battery to land Solo in a disconnect scenario, it also could be programmed to land if loss of power is detected.

Pyrate is on mark, WOW we have a very versatile platform for multitude of applications. Solo is the RTF version for so many ideas. I think this and other MFS items are just beginning to roll out. Soon 3DR will have a heavy lift RTF, again based on Solo's architecture. All ideas developed for Solo will be able to expand further as platform is expands. This is going to be interesting....

Reactions: bjswx
What is sad, is so few get that. They can only see the DJI and even Yuneec model of just introduce new hardware every 9 months
SOLO is a framework, it is meant to be built upon

Reactions: bjswx
I see what you mean, pyrate. I agree that the tether idea is not for everyone , but does have potential for some application somewhere. I was a bit shortsighted. The potential for adding to Solo got lost on me for a bit. Thanks for setting me straight. Who knows what is going to come up down the line for Solo? It will be fun to see.

Tether is awesome. I filmed our local go-cart races in downtown last fall. My batteries went dead and guess what. no more flying. I was thinking of a tether system then so I could stay up for 4 hour and be ready for the shot. Additional a thermal camera at night would be really cool. At least now I have the dooms day preppers into the tether idea. lol

I see what you mean, pyrate. I agree that the tether idea is not for everyone , but does have potential for some application somewhere. I was a bit shortsighted. The potential for adding to Solo got lost on me for a bit. Thanks for setting me straight. Who knows what is going to come up down the line for Solo? It will be fun to see.

that's the spirit, my fear was no one would jump on that made for solo program. Glad I was proven wrong

Guessing, but what ever a converter + what ever length of thin electrical wire would cost..
We don't know where to hook the wire to Solo, but i also would imagine it's east to find out.
I would like the power to come from a Deep cycle marine battery, this way, the power is possible any where you go.

Not hard at all for 20'. 5.2 amp at 14.8 volts. 18 gauge speaker wire(heavy) and a power supply for a short distance trial. Ideally you want to boost the voltage high to overcome the voltage drop. This will allow for thinner wire and more length. Then you must convert it back to 14.8 on the Solo. One also needs consider the Solo carrying capacity and the dynamics of tether directional drag with the Solo flight controller in various flight conditions. Sounds like fun.

Reactions: SteveReno
Not hard at all for 20'. 5.2 amp at 14.8 volts. 18 gauge speaker wire(heavy) and a power supply for a short distance trial. Ideally you want to boost the voltage high to overcome the voltage drop. This will allow for thinner wire and more length. Then you must convert it back to 14.8 on the Solo. One also needs consider the Solo carrying capacity and the dynamics of tether directional drag with the Solo flight controller in various flight conditions. Sounds like fun.
I would like to use it for "time lapse shots" so no movement horizontally. I i would use a 12V car battery "90 Amp hours"

Last edited:
although shot dynamics are limited by the tether it does however negate the need to obtain a 333 for commercial work. I know this because in my previous job we looked into adding AP classes to our existing youth summer camp programs. My direct contact at the FAA uas office told us that we could run commerical activities without a 333 as long as the vehicle was tethered, flown under net enclosures or indoors. All they were concerned about was a physical barrier to entering regulated airspace

I could easily see the advantages for it at weddings I shoot, I would no longer need to only capture part of the ceremony and could use the whole ceremony to edit int their final product.

Any idea when and how much?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000