Tarot Retracts

Reaction score
****SOLVED**** Burning in O.S. did the trick!!

My newly acquired Words of Wisdom to any fellow Braindeads considering Retracts......
Don't even think about it unless and until you move up to OPEN SOLO!!!

Some of you folks might have caught some of my Retract Mod posts in the FB Groups. I scored the Solo Kodak SP360 Aerial Kit for $350 from Amazon Warehouse. The legs got in the way so I did the Tarot Retracts. I used Solex to download and flash the retract params that use the pause switch.

It works great with the Solo and Controller paired but I am having a really tough time operating the retracts in flight (armed).

Long push on Pause button raises the retracts and a short push lowers them. Here's my problem. In flight long push switches to Guided flight mode which disables the sticks. Short push restores Fly but doesn't lower the legs. It takes several long and short push attempts to finally get the legs to lower.

Of course with all my pushes the Credit Card Lady is yelling out Brake....Guided.....Brake....Guided....with a few Flys thrown in.

All very scary. Was able to get in a few touch downs but only after a lot of tries to get the timing right.

I guess I assumed that when the Retract params were flashed it would overwrite the Brake/Guided commands.

I never use the 1 and 2 buttons to set the gimbal angles. Can they be overwritten so they will only raise and lower the gear? I have the servos connected to pin 19.

45077552212_2592027091_z.jpg

Here's a quick slide show of my install.
Tarot Retract Mod

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhax
Yikes! Put this up three days ago with no response. Is there a better place this should have been posted? Perhaps I outlived my welcome in the forum.

Yes, there is. But you're going to have to be comfortable rooting around in extSettings.conf

OpenSolo/shotmanager
Thank you! My problem is I have never caught on to understanding the way of param mods and got where I am relying on those that do. I have learned by good guidance if you are clueless to not mess with what you don't know.

I used the retract script in Solex ignorant that it would be erratic and not oblivious to the existing functions. My bad.

One thing I failed to provide in my OP is that this rig still flies on stock FW and Arducopter. I now wonder if this is my problem. Can I expect better retract functionality upgrading to OS and move up to the CG?

I think you will find that the retracts work much better with OS. In fact, you're the first one I've heard of not having OpenSolo installed before trying the retracts.....

Reactions: Michael Lione
Like aforementioned, this old buck is far from the brightest crayon in the box. Before I go in any direction I will first get OS on this rig. My other one is GC, HERE, O.S. equipped and has been almost from the very beginning. I have always been proud that my HERE was the very first out Jesters door. Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking out time to help me out.

I was beginning to question my approach thinking perhaps I needed to throw out a few insults to get noticed. [emoji6]

I have lightly contributed in the Forum with emphasis on lightly. Retired, I find myself with ample time to take on projects. My antenna and battery are two of my better efforts. Not smart enough to contribute only the most basic guidance I focus on providing that of others when it appears it can help out.

Seems the FB Groups have really fallen back from the heydaze. The core "Smart Guys" as I have affectionately dubbed them have been very conspicuous by their absence.

I've gravitated the lion's share of my attention to this Forum. That said, I implore the Masters here to never refrain from backing me off or reprimanding me when I get in the way.

As I post this I am calibrating another battery that almost caused a major calamity a few days ago. I considered it a reduced capacity but healthy battery. Great testimony as to how a pack can doorstop w/o warning.

ALL IS JOY!!!! I burned O.S. in this machine and that shut up the Credit Card Lady. Peace and quite prevail. I see the new CH 7 message on the controller as well. WOO HOO!

BUT! I need some guidance on how to actually perform the Button Presses.

I'm definitely doing something wrong and getting very erratic results. I did get the one leg up wave and was able to get both legs in the same position after rebooting the Solo. I learned long ago Reboot is my friend with all things eyes and ohs. I got to get comfortable with cycling the retracts before my next sortie. I came very close to a crash last time out not getting the legs down as I was running out of battery. Scary stuff.

Reactions: jonbrotherton
ALL IS JOY!!!! I burned O.S. in this machine and that shut up the Credit Card Lady. Peace and quite prevail. I see the new CH 7 message on the controller as well. WOO HOO!

BUT! I need some guidance on how to actually perform the Button Presses.

I'm definitely doing something wrong and getting very erratic results. I did get the one leg up wave and was able to get both legs in the same position after rebooting the Solo. I learned long ago Reboot is my friend with all things eyes and ohs. I got to get comfortable with cycling the retracts before my next sortie. I came very close to a crash last time out not getting the legs down as I was running out of battery. Scary stuff.
Hold pause until it vibrates the second time and let go and retracts should go up. Hold pause and let go after it vibrates one time and they go down. Just push the pause button and let go before it vibrates at all activates pause.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea