Tablet Solely for Solo and Solex Use

jxo

Reaction score
Did the research on this great forum/resource. Am ditching a Fire 7 which is not working with Solex.

Today's choice is boiling down to either a like new Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 16 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab A Tablet 8.

Is there a clear choice? thanks much.

I've been using the Nexus 7 for awhile without any problems. It's brighter than my iPad mini 3.

I don't know anything about the Samsung.

I am not familiar with Android tablets. On paper, even though its older, the Nexus 7 (2013) seems to have superior specs to the Samsung G Tab A.

that's a great thread. It still refers to the Nexus 7 as the reference device-- despite its age. It still leaves me wondering whether more recent android devices may work better.

The one disadvantage of any old electronic device these days is firmware compatibility with new apps. Each app can have it's own requirements on the particular version of Android it requires to even install, in the case of smartphones and tablets. Also Apps continuously require more and more horsepower from their smartphone to run at proper speed. A few newer smartphones and tablets can update their version of Android but many are stuck at the version they were built with.

Processor speed and memory are always more the better. However, getting the most expensive unit on the market is also not a great way to go because the same features will inevitably be available in 6 months for half the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saijin_Naib
IMO it's hard to beat the Nexus 7 2013. I have been using mine with Solex, the GPS signal is strong for follow and the screen plenty bright. I find this older Android system works well with Solo, I am having issues with the newer Apple iOS's and hi-res FPV.

That being said I mostly fly with my Apple Mini 4 with internal barometer. I need dynamic altitude, since I drive on steep trails, which my Nexus 7 does not support. I hope Solex will support dynamic altitude at some point it is becoming a common feature in many drones. I may be wrong in thinking Solex does not support dynamic altitude now with a barometer equipped Android device. I now have a Samsung S6 with barometer, I may give it a try. Or a plug in GPS module to the Nexus 7 and give it a try?

For now my Mini 4 works good except the occasional drop out of FPV view in 4k. If there was an Android device that would support dynamic altitude with Solex I would buy it, I'm not a big Apple fan.

that's a great thread. It still refers to the Nexus 7 as the reference device-- despite its age. It still leaves me wondering whether more recent android devices may work better.

I've been using my Nexus 7 (2013) with pretty good success but even though you can turn up the brightness on the device the sunlight will
still cause problems seeing the screen. A fella needs a real good sunshade for the device in sunny conditions but otherwise it is a good
choice. I have the Nexus 7 dedicated to the Solo and they are cheap on Ebay. I wouldn't want to risk spending a bunch of money on Android
cellphones just to find out they don't work with the Solo.

I've been using Nexus 7 2nd generation since day one..works great all around and can be bought fairly cheap used..it's the only device I've used so I can't compare to others but I definitely recommend it because it just works flawlessly.

I've been using my Nexus 7 (2013) with pretty good success but even though you can turn up the brightness on the device the sunlight will
still cause problems seeing the screen. A fella needs a real good sunshade for the device in sunny conditions but otherwise it is a good
choice. I have the Nexus 7 dedicated to the Solo and they are cheap on Ebay. I wouldn't want to risk spending a bunch of money on Android
cellphones just to find out they don't work with the Solo.
I have a good sunshade for mine but found I still got really bad reflections off the screen. I got anti-glare film for it off Amazon and that helped a lot.

I have a good sunshade for mine but found I still got really bad reflections off the screen. I got anti-glare film for it off Amazon and that helped a lot.
I do need to get one of those films for mine..I have a glass screen protector on it and I guess it's a crappy brand because it makes the screen unresponsive,like I have to really press and not just tap the screen..and it makes me have to stay in the shade because of the bad glare.

Thanks for the information it looks like I need to order one too!

I've been using Nexus 7 2nd generation since day one..works great all around and can be bought fairly cheap used..it's the only device I've used so I can't compare to others but I definitely recommend it because it just works flawlessly.
Are you able to update Android? Thinking of getting one for use only for Solo. Thanks

Are you able to update Android? Thinking of getting one for use only for Solo. Thanks
I'm not positive what version of Android it is running,i will check when I get back home but it stays connected to my home wifi all the time unless I'm flying with it so all apps and everything get updated automatically..it is fully stock with no hacks or mods and solo app runs solo with no issues ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc