Super hot Solo in Backpack?

Reaction score
Flew today for the first time since crash many months ago. Crash caused by failed motor.

Made me very less confident for flying. OK now after today's flight.

But, could not get GoPro 4+ to work or show live feed to Solo. Most likely a full connection issue. Had that before, fix is going to try again.

But, at home, opened Solo case and got beet, beet 3x, and found Solo on and over heating. Evening after pulling battery 3 minutes later battery still hot.

Even 10 minutes after this battery is still quite warm.

I flew the Solo, landed, turned it off, put it back in the case and now this. Never seen this before, any ideas?

So, is this battery no go now? Should I never use it again? Has it been damaged now?

Put back in to Solo, one dot, and high pitched alarm with other noise. Guess this is damaged beyond use.

I would recharge it at least
Yeah, if it catches fire while recharging, you'll know for sure it's bad. ;) I think I'd put it a fireproof LiPo bag out in the garage - at least for awhile. I accidentally shorted a very small LiPo battery several months ago and it almost ignited in my shop. Sparked, black smoke, and when I quickly grabbed the melting lead to remove it from the charger I burnt my fingers. Nothing serious, but it was uber hot.

Reactions: wlyons
Thanks Guys, I did charge it, took a bit of time of course, but it seems fine, did appear to fully charge. It was never hot enough to burn skin, no smoke, etc. And it did not heat up during charging.

I think the alarms on drine are from very low battery, telling you not to fly.

got to love the gloom and doomers
chances are you just hit the on button on the battery while it was in the bag
it will get hot
You should take care always when charging lipos of every kind, but throwing a battery away because you let it get warm well OK guys
I will take yours when you decide to dump them without trying a recharge

Reactions: Solo Keith
Remember either Lipo or li-ion when they start to go "subcritical" from a short or over-draw issue.. Through it in the freezer (I tossed a 26650 out in the snow) That will cool the pack and most times save the batt!

Put back in to Solo, one dot, and high pitched alarm with other noise. Guess this is damaged beyond use.
Sounds like it was left on when placed in the backpack, or the button was hit accidentally while in the backpack, then with solo on, the battery simply drained to the emergency level (one LED, beeping). For the solo battery, I would expect 10-15 minutes to cool due to size.

Shouldn't have done any damage to the battery. I would be more worried about the gimbal, as it would have been fighting the foam protector the entire time it was left on in the case. I imagine it still works, but you might have reduced its life expectancy if it was fighting against the foam for many hours.

Best practice is to remove battery when in case, or use foam insert during transport.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc