Strange Tower Flight

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well, I know that I'm pretty strange in general so this sortta thing ain't likely that unusual! Won't make Guiness anyway (though if it could make Guiness Stout that'd be awesome).
Yokay. About a mile from my house is a frequent flying spot of mine. It's a small public lake with fishing, ice skating, etc.. A quarter mile away is a much larger private lake I have permission to fly across. Folks there boat, fish, ski - there's even a couple of animal enclosures holding Whitetail deer and an occasional red fox. Cool place.
I've gotten into the habit of running a Tower mission there every week - exact same flight. I'm just trying to show in a hopefully interesting way the changing seasons.
Well. Very near by, there are two extremely large trees and a water tower the height of Mt. Kilimanjaro.Topping that off, my takeoff pad is a picnic table.
Surrounding the table is a whole gazmazzle of willows, stunted pines... you know, the sort of greenery that hangs out at small bodies of water. Not to mention scads of Large-Mouth Bass I'm certain wanna take a mouthfull out of my GoPro (off the subject a tad, but I'm going to rig some fishing gear to Solo this spring. Betcha anything I could make a good haul!).
Ok, here's the point. I have the flight plan set so when I hit auto, Solo shoots straight up to 150 feet and hovers five seconds before heading to Waypoint 2. Those trees, ya know. At Waypoint 5 I have it at 375. During the flight it makes a quick circuit of my lake and heads off to the larger one, where it does a bit of sightseeing before heading home. In all, about a 9 minute flight.
Well, friends and neighbors, ze thing is - that picnic table, placed at the very side of the lake, is completely and totally surrounded by willows and small evergreens. My takeoff procedure is to manually fly through the "jungle" very carefully until fifty feet across the water, then activate the mission. The return journey is basically the same but I have Solo stop 150 feet across, near the lake's center for best return maneuverability.
Done it ten times at least.
Ok, Pre-Flight:
Turn on transmitter.
Turn on Solo.
Turn on GoPro.
Connect Galaxy, start Tower.
Double-triple-quadruple check flight plan. Yep, there we are, Solo in right place, waypoints good, map fine and hummin' right along.
Start recording.
Take off. Slowly. Thaaats good, thread through the branches... A little jig up, around, and over... ahh, nice. Safely over the water.
Recheck Tower plan. Lookin' good.
Take deep breath.
Activate program.
Solo screams towards me like it was on a beeline to the real Kilimanjaro. I've never seen a drone move so fast.
She came straight back over the water, not rising a single centimeter, and headed for the willows.
Thank the good Lord for 40 years of RC experience! A quick A button push slows things down a bit just as it reaches the nearest branches. Man alive! Sounded like a buzzsaw on speed. Wood chips flying, prop parts tossed everywhere - the chassis hit the bars of the tree hard enough I actually saw the battery lift from its tray a moment.
I managed to bring it back from the tree. Now it was very near the picnic table, a couple feet from the water, props giving off a weird dying hyena sound. Somehow - and I honestly can't explain this - I set it down on the table without a problem.
On touchdown the battery finally flopped free, skittered to the edge, and dropped off the table into the water. Bye-Bye!
All four props were shattered but still had enough of each blade to have maintained flight - long enough, that is.
Finally - silence.
Now, here's the real kicker: Solo did not have a single scratch or hint of damage, nor did the gimbal or GoPro.
Well, an eventful day, at least.
Now here's the real question:
What the heck actually happened?
And possibly far, far more importantly -
Learn to fly on manual!!!

Reactions: Maddog
Check the logs or post them here. Look for GPS anomalies. What is your WPNAV_SPEED param set to?

Check the logs or post them here. Look for GPS anomalies. What is your WPNAV_SPEED param set to?
Yup, checking that tomorrow - will supply details.
It's really the only thing that makes sense - a GPS screwup - but I've never changed or even messed with my WP transit speed.
I was seriously lucky! And again, the importance of learning how to actually fly the bloody things can never be overstated.

Hi guys,
Well, I know that I'm pretty strange in general so this sortta thing ain't likely that unusual! Won't make Guiness anyway (though if it could make Guiness Stout that'd be awesome).
Yokay. About a mile from my house is a frequent flying spot of mine. It's a small public lake with fishing, ice skating, etc.. A quarter mile away is a much larger private lake I have permission to fly across. Folks there boat, fish, ski - there's even a couple of animal enclosures holding Whitetail deer and an occasional red fox. Cool place.
I've gotten into the habit of running a Tower mission there every week - exact same flight. I'm just trying to show in a hopefully interesting way the changing seasons.
Well. Very near by, there are two extremely large trees and a water tower the height of Mt. Kilimanjaro.Topping that off, my takeoff pad is a picnic table.
Surrounding the table is a whole gazmazzle of willows, stunted pines... you know, the sort of greenery that hangs out at small bodies of water. Not to mention scads of Large-Mouth Bass I'm certain wanna take a mouthfull out of my GoPro (off the subject a tad, but I'm going to rig some fishing gear to Solo this spring. Betcha anything I could make a good haul!).
Ok, here's the point. I have the flight plan set so when I hit auto, Solo shoots straight up to 150 feet and hovers five seconds before heading to Waypoint 2. Those trees, ya know. At Waypoint 5 I have it at 375. During the flight it makes a quick circuit of my lake and heads off to the larger one, where it does a bit of sightseeing before heading home. In all, about a 9 minute flight.
Well, friends and neighbors, ze thing is - that picnic table, placed at the very side of the lake, is completely and totally surrounded by willows and small evergreens. My takeoff procedure is to manually fly through the "jungle" very carefully until fifty feet across the water, then activate the mission. The return journey is basically the same but I have Solo stop 150 feet across, near the lake's center for best return maneuverability.
Done it ten times at least.
Ok, Pre-Flight:
Turn on transmitter.
Turn on Solo.
Turn on GoPro.
Connect Galaxy, start Tower.
Double-triple-quadruple check flight plan. Yep, there we are, Solo in right place, waypoints good, map fine and hummin' right along.
Start recording.
Take off. Slowly. Thaaats good, thread through the branches... A little jig up, around, and over... ahh, nice. Safely over the water.
Recheck Tower plan. Lookin' good.
Take deep breath.
Activate program.
Solo screams towards me like it was on a beeline to the real Kilimanjaro. I've never seen a drone move so fast.
She came straight back over the water, not rising a single centimeter, and headed for the willows.
Thank the good Lord for 40 years of RC experience! A quick A button push slows things down a bit just as it reaches the nearest branches. Man alive! Sounded like a buzzsaw on speed. Wood chips flying, prop parts tossed everywhere - the chassis hit the bars of the tree hard enough I actually saw the battery lift from its tray a moment.
I managed to bring it back from the tree. Now it was very near the picnic table, a couple feet from the water, props giving off a weird dying hyena sound. Somehow - and I honestly can't explain this - I set it down on the table without a problem.
On touchdown the battery finally flopped free, skittered to the edge, and dropped off the table into the water. Bye-Bye!
All four props were shattered but still had enough of each blade to have maintained flight - long enough, that is.
Finally - silence.
Now, here's the real kicker: Solo did not have a single scratch or hint of damage, nor did the gimbal or GoPro.
Well, an eventful day, at least.
Now here's the real question:
What the heck actually happened?
And possibly far, far more importantly -
Learn to fly on manual!!!
Great story(writing) with a great lucky and moral to the story; Learn to fly on manual!!! Nobody has preached that louder on this board and something I continue to repeat. Because it will save your butt.
I too would love to see the log. One thing you didn't mention that I always do before flying a Tower mission; After uploading to the Solo and before I arm, I always download the mission in Solo back to the tablet. That confirms that solo and I are on the same page and that the mission loaded into the flight controller correctly.

Again, Well Done and awesome save! Did you get the video?

Video, or it didn't happen...
You know, I will be happy as punch to supply logs/stats whatever, photos, and the video itself if it's usable - haven't checked yet.
But your comment is not appreciated.

You know, I will be happy as punch to supply logs/stats whatever, photos, and the video itself if it's usable - haven't checked yet.
But your comment is not appreciated.
I don't think he meant it like that Marich. It's a bit of a long running joke on many forums regarding boasts some pilots make (not you). And it kind of turned into it's own phrase, but not generally literal.

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of a Guinness bottle...

I read your "story" last night in the wee hours, I laughed and I cried. It was quite a tale, thank you. Hope you're able to discover the cause.

I did love the post. An entertaining read. But yeah, @RichWest was just getting into the spirit and kidding along with you. At least that's how I interpreted it. Can't we all just be friends.

Wow- great story! Sorry your Solo was damaged but glad you got it home.
Hope the video survived!:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40