Spreading Solo Joy-

Reaction score
I sold one of my Solos to an older gentleman the other day- a local sale, I put it on craigslist figuring I could just sell it locally and not have to worry about the hassle of packaging and paying for shipping. Received a call the same night- a gentleman who recently retired and was looking for a hobby to pass time. I brought my Solo and spent the next two hours showing him how it works, what comes with Solo, the gimbal and what gopro cameras he can use- ( he didn’t even know what a gopro was-)
Well, the next two hours were a lot of fun! It was like watching your children unwrap their gifts Christmas morning. He played with my Solo and took video of his truck and just the open field. I threw in a few extra batteries because clearly, 12 minutes of flight time wasn’t going to be enough flight to wet his whistle. It was pretty cool to introduce something we love to someone for which Solo- wasn’t even on his radar.

Good story...I actually flew mine last night with a buddy who has never flown a drone. I put Solo up about 150 ft. and gave him the sticks. He really liked it. BTW...it was night flying, the moon was full, and the sky extremely clear...pretty cool.

It was cool- he started laughing once it went airborne- almost as if he didn’t think it would get off the ground; the old guy compared it to the first time he drove and the first time he got laid. Now if that wouldn’t be a convincing commercial to buy a Solo- don’t know what would! I looked over the field today when I drove by- but he wasn’t there. He is probably home getting his ass chewed out by the Mrs.
WELCOME TO RETIREMENT.

That’s a touching story- was hoping my dad would’ve gotten excited when I mentioned I had two myself - he’s Trains all the way...

It was cool- he started laughing once it went airborne- almost as if he didn’t think it would get off the ground; the old guy compared it to the first time he drove and the first time he got laid. Now if that wouldn’t be a convincing commercial to buy a Solo- don’t know what would! I looked over the field today when I drove by- but he wasn’t there. He is probably home getting his ass chewed out by the Mrs.
WELCOME TO RETIREMENT.

He’s probably cleaning it up and dressing her up ready for show... you might see him flying it with a banner showing off to the ladies walking by and the senior center

Hey I'm semi retired myself, No senior center for me...Anyway I also gave the sticks to my Brother in law, he has never flown a Drone before this time, I could not believe the look on his face as he smashed it to smithereens into a tree it was priceless!....

Just kidding he flew the solo just fine and even landed it.
Sorry I just had to all these cool stories and stuff....

I think this ol’ guy would cry if he wrecked his new toy. He’s probably home polishing his Solo up- cause his truck was on point!!

Reactions: JBAlaska
Retired. He was driving a GMC Denali with the Duramax Diesel. I’m not sure what he did, but that $70,000.00 truck tells me he isn’t no slacker.

Must be very Frugal or he was born rich or became rich (lottery), maybe he owns some type of business or had a great pension plan and or investments or maybe perhaps he's just in debt up to his eyeballs, LOL
must be one of the above am I missing anything?

Not sure; but he is driving in comfort! He is a very decent gentleman, looking for something to do - guessing to get him away from his honey-do list! Shit. This lucky bastard may have one of those 28 year old wives!!!!

OUTTA AMMO???? Are you crazy?? That’s where I spend a good part of my money-
7mm stw is hard to find so I look for that in the off season- usually can find it in places like Montana or Wyoming- ( if I find brass, reload myself.)
5.56- I wait till it goes on sale at Dick’s- and I buy it all.I also look for brass that wasn’t policed at the ranges, reload when needed) But I now am looking for 45-70 for a trapdoor rifle I have- 1873. Wondering how well it will shoot. I have to go through Black Hills to get ammo especially made for it so it doesn’t have too much chamber pressure and blow up in my face. ($36 per box ) Then 338 Lapua Magnum- christ- it makes me cry. $158 for 20 rounds....geez. Keep telling the wife- having a firearm without ammo is like having a car without fuel. Just doesn’t make sense.

OUTTA AMMO???? Are you crazy?? That’s where I spend a good part of my money-
7mm stw is hard to find so I look for that in the off season- usually can find it in places like Montana or Wyoming- ( if I find brass, reload myself.)
5.56- I wait till it goes on sale at Dick’s- and I buy it all.I also look for brass that wasn’t policed at the ranges, reload when needed) But I now am looking for 45-70 for a trapdoor rifle I have- 1873. Wondering how well it will shoot. I have to go through Black Hills to get ammo especially made for it so it doesn’t have too much chamber pressure and blow up in my face. ($36 per box ) Then 338 Lapua Magnum- christ- it makes me cry. $158 for 20 rounds....geez. Keep telling the wife- having a firearm without ammo is like having a car without fuel. Just doesn’t make sense.
I have plenty of ammo just not for the range I use lighter loads for practice...

I sold one of my Solos to an older gentleman the other day- a local sale, I put it on craigslist figuring I could just sell it locally and not have to worry about the hassle of packaging and paying for shipping. Received a call the same night- a gentleman who recently retired and was looking for a hobby to pass time. I brought my Solo and spent the next two hours showing him how it works, what comes with Solo, the gimbal and what gopro cameras he can use- ( he didn’t even know what a gopro was-)
Well, the next two hours were a lot of fun! It was like watching your children unwrap their gifts Christmas morning. He played with my Solo and took video of his truck and just the open field. I threw in a few extra batteries because clearly, 12 minutes of flight time wasn’t going to be enough flight to wet his whistle. It was pretty cool to introduce something we love to someone for which Solo- wasn’t even on his radar.
I can definitely relate to your story. I too am one of the "Old Guys". I got introduced to UAS and my first Solo back in July '16 thanks to that Amazon Prime deal. Sure wish you were available then. That said, this forum and the FB Groups have provided me with incredible good guidence. I keep Solo 1 stock for old (pun intended) timers sake. Solo 2 flies HERE, GC, Solex, and OS all thanks to all your help and support! Thank You!tmp-cam-1956626199.jpg

Reactions: XevetS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela