Sony xq100

Reaction score
Hi all !! 3dr solo flyer from south america and first post here.
Would love to know if anyone has any recommendation for any other camera than the go pro with 2 axis gimbal that can be mounted to the 3drSolo ? Been using the hero 3 for quite some time and I am looking for an upgrade. Particularly, I am looking towards high definition aerial photography and the sony xq100 has called my attention but I think I would be having to do more than a few tweaks (if do able at all) to be able to control it from the 3dr solo app.
Has anyone tried mounting this camera ?
If not. What would be suggested as a better substitute to the go pro (even the hero 7) ?
thanks in advance and happy flying !

I am into still photography and wanted something better than the GoPro. I modified my solo to fit a Nikon J5 mirrorless with 1 inch sensor and 10mm f2.8 lens.

It uses the tilt paddle to tilt the camera and the pause button to operate the shutter ( need to have open solo 3.0.0 for this) I shoot shutter priority 1/800 sec.

Here is my solo

Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

Some of my aerial images can be found on my Insta account

Rob Power (@rob_power_photography) • Instagram photos and videos

Rob Power Website Design | Rob Power Photography | Website Design | Photographer | Elevated Photography | Cootamundra | Riverina Web Design | South West Slopes | Drone Photography

Hope this helps

Thanks Rob and Mike for your responses. I still have a lot to learn.
What a set up Rob, really amazing and your stills as well. Congrats !
Thanks Mike for sharing that post . It seems like in both cases there is quite some programming to do. I am yet not that advanced but eventually, if going for an alternative to the GoPrO, Ill have to get there somehow. So I'll probably be diving deeper into the matter.
I just wonder why 3dr hasn't come up with an integral alternative solution to the GoPro. I know they have released the site scan but it is quite heavy on the budget besides the monthly fee. It is an excellent alternative but too focused on businesses and not at all aimed at the normal pilot.
Ill keep studying the different possibilities till I can figure out a set up I could actually put together. Meanwhile Ill keep trying to get the most from my ole GoPro.
Attached goes one from my last fly in downtown Buenos Aires.
Thx again and happy flying !
Ill stay tuned

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_533.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_533.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: Robpower
Thanks Rob and Mike for your responses. I still have a lot to learn.
What a set up Rob, really amazing and your stills as well. Congrats !
Thanks Mike for sharing that post . It seems like in both cases there is quite some programming to do. I am yet not that advanced but eventually, if going for an alternative to the GoPrO, Ill have to get there somehow. So I'll probably be diving deeper into the matter.
I just wonder why 3dr hasn't come up with an integral alternative solution to the GoPro. I know they have released the site scan but it is quite heavy on the budget besides the monthly fee. It is an excellent alternative but too focused on businesses and not at all aimed at the normal pilot.
Ill keep studying the different possibilities till I can figure out a set up I could actually put together. Meanwhile Ill keep trying to get the most from my ole GoPro.
Attached goes one from my last fly in downtown Buenos Aires.
Thx again and happy flying !
Ill stay tuned

Nice pic, a bit different to the scenes I shoot with my drone, a nice camera with a 1 inch sensor is the way to go. I started with a lumix tx110 mounted in a frame using the solo fixed GoPro mount, no tilt or shutter (used timer) and it just evolved from there. I wanted tilt control and then shutter control.

This forum has helped heaps with my research, a lot of information here. This link might help to

extend solo

If you head towards modifying for another camera and need some advice, let me know, I am no expert but happy to share what I have done if it helps others that are into still photography.

Good luck and good flying

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela