Solo with STorM32 Gimbal and smartshots

Well, one wonders what is so special about BetaCopter and whether the changes can make it into Arducopter.

Is his modification to ArduPilot somewhere? I only see binaries posted for download, but not the actual source or any git repos?

Well, one wonders what is so special about BetaCopter and whether the changes can make it into Arducopter.
Olli has elected not to cooperate or contribute to ArduPilot for the most part. And on occasions, has been deliberately uncooperative or belligerent despite others trying to work with him. It's unfortunate since he's a very skilled developer, and he could both contribute and gain a lot from it. He has basically taken ArduCopter, modified it to be compatible with his gimbal controller, and not contributed it back to ArduCopter.

It's great that he has this working. It's frustrating that he wants to keep it all to himself and declare that "mine works and nobody else's does".

It is a nice proof of concept. It means it is possible and with enough time and eyeballs, I'm quite sure AC will have it, too.

Olli has elected not to cooperate or contribute to ArduPilot for the most part. And on occasions, has been deliberately uncooperative or belligerent despite others trying to work with him. It's unfortunate since he's a very skilled developer, and he could both contribute and gain a lot from it. He has basically taken ArduCopter, modified it to be compatible with his gimbal controller, and not contributed it back to ArduCopter.

It's great that he has this working. It's frustrating that he wants to keep it all to himself and declare that "mine works and nobody else's does".

it is shocking to see that you obviously don't know any limits in lying and emitting false and untruth accusations.

The source code of BetaCopter is of course public, it is certainly not my fault that your unable to find it. Also, the first variant of BetaCopter I have made public more than a year ago in Sep. 2017, at times of ArduCopter 3.4, and this code was known to e.g. Oxinarf and few others. Also, the current BetaCopter you see in operation here has been introduced by kd0aij several months ago as a WIP PR to ArduPilot. You can read up yourself the negative "no no no" reactions it got. The concept of BetaCopter I actually proposed ca 3 years ago to ArduPilot, at times when the Mavlink was done. And it has not attracted interest.

It was and is solely the deccision of ArduPilot tio not show interest in what I did and do.

The story you tell is purely your own invention.

Yes, I lost interest to cooperate with folks like you. The reasons are glaringly obvious.

You obviously have a serious problem with the truth, as not only this but other examples also demonstrate.

Reactions: pater
it is btw also solely ArduPilot's decision to not listen to to bug reports and suggestion for solution of the issues with their Mavlink implementation, some reports and code solutions hang lose for as long as 2 years, which explicitly, and provably, includes you

"It's great that he has this working. It's frustrating that he wants to keep it all to himself"

what a further lie. I was communicating at Ardupilot.discuss with per PM, telling you in detail my findings on the Mavlink implemenation, what works and what not, inclusive providing you with explicit code suggestion of how to solve the issues, including a .zip file with code. Until you decided to ignore my comments and suggestion and came out with your brew of code, declaring "I may have solved it", which quickly turned out to be in functional.

Last edited:
Case in point. I've not said anything untrue, certainly nothing that's a lie. I in fact asked where to find it. Most of what you're ranting about is just absurd.

None the less, I'm not even going to address your angry ranting and made up non sense point by point. Been down the road with you before, and it's mostly flat out untrue, or gross mischaracterizations of reality. I was and always have been polite and honest with you. Here and everywhere else. And this is what you do. And then you act surprised when people walk away from working with you.

Last edited:
Betacopter is a fork of Arducopter 3.6dev. It was done because Ardupilot has been unwilling or unable to do merge it into master themselves. It was provided a long time ago to Ardupilot.
You need to get your facts straight Matt.
WIP (do not merge): "proper" fork containing OlliW's betacopter36dev-v005 by kd0aij · Pull Request #7167 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub
I'm aware of that. In fact I read through the whole thing before responding to this thread. And I did a search to see what other things on the git Olli had been involved with before responding to this thread. My facts are straight.

You will notice that PR was not opened by Olli. In fact Olli even asked someone to unsubscribe him from the PR! It was opened by someone else. You will also notice it did indeed have extensive input by others at ArduPilot, and it needed work and changes to merge. Olli was not doing any of those changes. Someone else was trying to do some of it for him. This is actually a prime example of exactly what bothers me about it. He wouldn't do it. Others tried to help. He was marginally helpful, and complained about a bunch of stuff. And it is incomplete, probably indefinitely.

Interesting how we see what we want to see. What I see is someone who realized the value of OlliW's contribution and difficulties trying get that contribution merged. So he volunteers to try and get it merged but gets shot down. OlliW tries to contribute suggestions to help solve some of the problems and once again gets shut down. It is the same story over and over and it is there for anyone to see and decide for themselves.

Reactions: fpvsteve
Indeed it is all there. He wasn't shot down at all. Nothing he submits is shot down. It's just not true. Refusing to participate and cooperate in the review process to merge changes does not constitute ArduPilot shooting him down.

It sure doesn't look like he is not cooperating to me. But yet it got stuck mid December and nothing has happened since. You just can't paint that picture with the colors you have Matt.

Untrue. It hasn't "gotten stuck". It isn't even olli's PR. Maybe the guy who volunteered to try to do what Olli refuses to do is just busy? It was by no means stalled or shot down. And Olli has done absolutely nothing at all to contribute his changes back to ArduPilot. He has in fact states he will not.

Gents, please take an hour and cool off. We'd all like it if this didn't devolve but instead ended up with the two codebases finding a way to get together. (Is there something like Tindr for codebases?)

Guys relax.
I am following Olli’s great work in the RC community for many years, from times way before Solo was even on the drawing board.
It’s the beauty of open source that you can tinker as you like for your own projects and share innovation with others as you like. Others in the community may decide on their own if they like your idea and want to develop it further to bring it into master.

There is absolutely no reason to attack or rant against him.

I don't even want to get into this again because I know it's just going to provoke the bear. But I also don't want to be accused of being a meanie for no reason. Those who only follow his work on RC Groups or other forums may not know this stuff, and it of course must make me sound like the total jerk here. So I feel it's necessary to respond.

Steve, I've never once criticized the quality of the work he does. Quite the opposite. I repeatedly state he's a very smart developer when this issue comes up. It is a shame, because he could contribute so much great stuff back to the ArduPilot project... which btw is the basis for his stuff in the first place which he has reaped great benefit from. In fact, everyone I know that has been subject to Olli's unprovoked wild rage generally says the same thing. The guy is really smart. Even the people he routinely insults think he is a great developer.

His belligerence and unwillingness towards ArduPilot and anyone trying to work with him is heavily documented and public. I do not make this stuff up. You won't see it on RC Groups of course. He will state outright that he is not going to do anything required to make changes to ArduPilot, whether it is merging BetaCopter, or addressing his own reported issues. Any notion that he gets blown off or treated badly or otherwise provoked is an outright fabrication. Many people have gone out of their way trying to work with him. And it ends the same way nearly every time. It's all in black and white, and isn't just me. It was an issue long before I came along.

Before I knew this about him, I tried to work with him too, and the same thing happened. I was really excited to work with him to solve some issues, and I put a lot of my time into it. (BTW for hardware I don't even own or benefit from). And out of nowhere, totally unprovoked range and rants, storming off in a huff, and insulting everyone trying to work with him. I was so confused. And I was worried maybe I said something that didn't translate right and insulted him or something. It wasn't until numerous people, some whom I don't even know, messaged me and told me that's what he does and get used to it. I searched and saw what they mean. Yilkes.

Of course, some of his blind followers (or people that just hate me personally by default) will just claim I am a horrible person and how dare I speak ill of him, totally ignoring everything else. They'll go back to other forums and call me names for it too, which is totally mature. That's fine. My conscious is clear because the truth and facts are on my side, and nothing is hidden from public view.

Stop every war! And work together for new gimbal!! Peace and education!!

My number 5 3dr solo and trasplant solo , awaiting new gimbal for some one camera Sony 5100 etc..... Will work for me big mint community!
all together you are truly great minds!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40