Solo Startup Problems - Solid Green Lights

Reaction score
Hi,

Commercial (manned) pilot here, new to the world of UAVs but have been flying fixed-wing R/C since I was old enough to know they existed.

I've just acquired a second-hand but basically brand new Solo, and have had a few successful flights with just a minor issue. Yesterday though, I ran into bigger problems.

Solo wouldn't boot. I just got the startup tone, fixed green lights, and nothing. Gimbal appeared to be functioning normally. After a couple of attempts, I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and it started fine. Went through several more power cycles with no issue, so I put it down to 'just one of those things'.

Today... same problem. This time I tried power cycling well over 5 times, waiting several minutes at a time. The strange thing is, the controller connected to Solo, and it started acquiring satellites. I got the 'GPS available' tone, and the satellite status icon changed from red to white with 19 sats - but it still said 'waiting for GPS'.

I tried switching to manual mode, which was allowed, but (not that I'd have risked flying in any case) I still couldn't start motors. So, after a nearly 4-hour round trip to a lovely location, I achieved 0 minutes of footage of the fantastic sunset. A little disappointed!

Sorry I've managed to turn a simple question into a bit of a ramble, but I didn't want to miss out anything that might be useful!

So, any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alex.

What was the minor issue when it flew?

Problem solved! After a lot of googling (clearly using all the wrong terms!) I discovered the mysterious SSWT button. Holding that while powering up seems to have done the trick.

To answer your question though: misreporting battery status. The first time it happened, I was no more than 200ft away with a good signal, and the battery level suddenly dropped from 80-something to 10%. Solo initiated RTH, but I was able to take manual control. Battery level then returned to a sensible level after a few seconds. The second time (different day, different battery), I was somewhat further away when the battery level indicated 0%. This time, there was no battery warning - the level indicator stayed white - and no RTH. Correct indication returned after around 20-30 seconds. So there's another little puzzle which I have yet to solve...

Reactions: krassoffboeing727
Update: Problem not solved!

I've just been flying. Battery issue still persists - both variations happened in the one flight today. Powered down to change battery, and now back to green lights again.

Done. It looks like the weather will prevent any flying today, so I'll have to wait and see what happens...

Still no luck. Powered up successfully at home a couple of times following factory reset, but now the dreaded green lights are back!

Well... hopefully the final update.

I remembered a very similar problem I’d had with a Raspberry Pi project some time ago - it would crash on boot after every few power cycles, and then needed the OS reinstalling - the equivalent of a factory reset, I guess. The solution was a new SD card.

So, 2 new microSD cards later (thought I might as well do the controller at the same time), I installed Open Solo from images. Somehow I seem to have managed to put it all back together without breaking anything, and have now done 5 flights without issue.

Now just waiting for good weather to coincide with free time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela