Solo Noise Factor

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion to reduce the noise of the Solo? I was able to replace the blades on my DJI with stiffer blades and it seemed to reduce the noise factor.

APC props run quite a bit quieter than stock props. Master Airscrew makes them for Solo too but I haven't yet tried them.

Does anyone have a suggestion to reduce the noise of the Solo? I was able to replace the blades on my DJI with stiffer blades and it seemed to reduce the noise factor.
Replacing the stock motors with T-motors has been shown to reduce the noise quite a bit.

No they don't help, or no it hasn't been tried?
Sorry, nobody's tried to my knowledge. I don't think it would be worth the effort because Solo's noise comes from motors turning at high speed.

Rotor noise from slow turning rotors (think Huey helicopter) is generated by the rotor blades and is a better candidate for shrouding. (Like the SEAL's secret helicopter that crashed on the mission to kill bin laden)

Replacing the stock motors with T-motors has been shown to reduce the noise quite a bit.
Here is a clip from almost a year ago when I did the T-motor swap and run the APC 11x4.5 props. There was a noticeable drop in noise with this combo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the Master Airscrew props on my Solo, and I like them. They have a little turn up on the tip, like some airplanes wings, I think it has an effect on the noise, and performance. I haven't flown enough to check the difference in flight times.

Reactions: Todd123
Here is a clip from almost a year ago when I did the T-motor swap and run the APC 11x4.5 props. There was a noticeable drop in noise with this combo.
It would be nice to hear the comparison before and after.
Did you try the T-motors with stock props and if so was there a drop in noise?

Just wondering what contributes more to noise reduction- should be motors then props but who knows?

Just my opinion. The props make the noise. Run the Solo up with no props, if the motors make anything than a nice hummmmmm, you've probably got some bad bearings. I had 1 new Solo motor that was squealing, almost like out of sync with the ESC. Put a drop of WD40 on the shaft, and it's whisper quiet. I plan on buying some Tri-Flo soon.

Reactions: Maddog
Bigger props combined with lower KV motors does the trick to reduce noise.
Best combination: 800kv t-motors with 11" t-motors carbon props.
Less noise, plus about 5% longer flight time.

Reactions: Vegasrobbi
Just my opinion. The props make the noise. Run the Solo up with no props, if the motors make anything than a nice hummmmmm, you've probably got some bad bearings. I had 1 new Solo motor that was squealing, almost like out of sync with the ESC. Put a drop of WD40 on the shaft, and it's whisper quiet. I plan on buying some Tri-Flo soon.
Thanks Frank- good point but I think the motor sound will change when put under the load of flying. How much- who knows?

I remember somebody posting that Solo was quieter with T-motors but they didn't mention switching props.

APC 11" props, not only lower dB's but a less annoying tone.

Geez... reported this triplicate (at least) post and the poster.
You need to get life or get a job for the TSA or homeland security since you like to report things. Geez!

APC 11" props, not only lower dB's but a less annoying tone.

Hi there, I don't want to be rude, but the video shows quite annoying tone :) Probably in reality they sound better.

I have missed to note that actually you talk about 11" props. The stock props are 10x4.5. Comparing this size with APC I can see some difference, but honestly not much. Comparing them to Master Airscrew 10x4.5, I definitely see improvement of almost everything (agility, battery life and noise).

I have never tried 11" props on my Solo as I'm afraid that they will be "heavy" for the motors and I will lose some agility.

Last edited:
Hi there, I don't want to be rude, but the video shows quite annoying tone :) Probably in reality they sound better.

I have missed to note that actually you talk about 11" props. The stock props are 10x4.5. Comparing this size with APC I can see some difference, but honestly not much. Comparing them to Master Airscrew 10x4.5, I definitely see improvement of almost everything (agility, battery life and noise).

I have never tried 11" props on my Solo as I'm afraid that they will be "heavy" for the motors and I will lose some agility.

Listen to this:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo