Solo Mod: RFD900X and NightRaptor interface HELP

Reaction score
I need everyone's help to get a Solo donor all wired up and flying with the RF Design RFD-900x and NightRaptor. Haven't been able to find any info on how to set up and debug. Anyone try this yet? Am I missing the Thread? Please help. Thanks.

NightRaptor (SOLO-RFD900x) Interface

Lost my solo,that sucks.i feel I need to change the stock gps.nice drone but always looses gps.eanyone knows what's the best gps module to buy.ive did it all put the car board between the gps,and the shield.helped a little not much.its a shame I have a hubsan,MIni.gps brushless quad.its better hold and never looses gps.eany tips,for not loosing gps.???

Did you read the product description?

I did read the product description. However, a mere reference to the Solo Modifications Facebook Group in not sufficient info. Plus, looked for/on the FB Group, couldn't find the info.

So you actually want to no longer use smart shots, no longer use the apps, no longer have live video, no longer have control of the GoPro, and use a conventional RC controller rather than the solo controller? I feel like you think this makes everything work like normal but with longer range. Really this turns it into a more conventional RC multirotor, but without any FPV video. If that's what you actually want to do, that will do it. But it will require quite a bit of mod work to both hardware and software.

So you actually want to no longer use smart shots, no longer use the apps, no longer have live video, no longer have control of the GoPro, and use a conventional RC controller rather than the solo controller? I feel like you think this makes everything work like normal but with longer range. Really this turns it into a more conventional RC multirotor, but without any FPV video. If that's what you actually want to do, that will do it. But it will require quite a bit of mod work to both hardware and software.

That's is what I am asking for help to figure out. I understand what functionality I will lose.... anyone know how to get this figured?

I don't see anything on the mod club about it anymore. The telemetry should work without modification since the serial port is already on the accessory bay connector. The PPM input is another story. You would need to run a wire from the board to the PPM-IN on the carrier board. Then you would need to cut the DSM output from the companion computer, or find a way to kill the Spektrum linux process on the companion computer. Actually... now that I think about it... you might be able to just remove the companion computer all together at at that point and save some weight and power. I haven't tried that, but I believe the Pixhawk will continue to function just fine without it. I'm not 100% confident the gimbal would work without it. Now you have me wondering.

At that point, I wouldn't bother with the night hawk thing. I would just put the RFD in the ass end and wire it up myself. And have the antenna stick out from the bottom.

Reactions: XevetS
I don't see anything on the mod club about it anymore. The telemetry should work without modification since the serial port is already on the accessory bay connector. The PPM input is another story. You would need to run a wire from the board to the PPM-IN on the carrier board. Then you would need to cut the DSM output from the companion computer, or find a way to kill the Spektrum linux process on the companion computer. Actually... now that I think about it... you might be able to just remove the companion computer all together at at that point and save some weight and power. I haven't tried that, but I believe the Pixhawk will continue to function just fine without it. I'm not 100% confident the gimbal would work without it. Now you have me wondering.

At that point, I wouldn't bother with the night hawk thing. I would just put the RFD in the ass end and wire it up myself. And have the antenna stick out from the bottom.

P2P: Thanks for the info. I have only used these modems in non-Solo applications.... Do you know where I could find a diagram pointing to the PPM board locations so I can take a crack at wiring it up? I assume the companion computer can just be pulled from the top of the Pixhawk, correct.

Ditching the gimbal anyway. But good point, I believe it's controller is in the computer.

Really appreciate the help here. Thanks.

The PPM Input is actually easy. It's right on top of the carrier board and clearly marked PPM. You'll see it as soon as you remove the battery tray.

The companion computer is under the carrier board next to the pixhawk. 3 screws and it's gone. I presume you'll want CH6 for the gimbal tilt. That's on the accessory connector too.

The PPM Input is actually easy. It's right on top of the carrier board and clearly marked PPM. You'll see it as soon as you remove the battery tray.

The companion computer is under the carrier board next to the pixhawk. 3 screws and it's gone. I presume you'll want CH6 for the gimbal tilt. That's on the accessory connector too.

Thanks P2P. I appreciate your knowhow. You would run the PPM wire from modem to the carrier board, correct?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc