Solo loosing control in Manual.

Reaction score
I've been flying my Solo's (have 2 of them) since December in my backyard with no issues. I've gotten really comfortable flying them and fly in manual mode most of the time. I figured out early on that flying under tree canopies and loosing GPS signal made her a little squirrely as the signal faded and dropped.

Since then, when flying in the backyard, I've been getting a GPS lock in a clear area, taking her off and switching to manual immediately, flying in manual for the duration of the flight and have also been landing in manual.

On March 4th, I was flying in the backyard (in manual mode) and almost like a switch flipped, the solo got really squirrely and the response to control input was almost non existent. Controller did not indicate lost signal and the Solo was definitely not in return to home mode. There were no obstacles between me and the Solo and it was only about 15-20 away from me. I won't say I lost total control but the response to input was extremely delayed and felt really "mushy" to non existent.

When I realized that I had a problem, I immediately went to land and was able to get it to the ground, and held full down on throttle. Shortly after touching down, while full down on throttle was being held, it flipped onto it's back and shut down about 2 seconds after flipping.

This particular Solo has no camera and no gimble.

I went inside and started a ticket to 3DR. Have not heard back from them.

I flew it again yesterday on a different battery and experienced the same thing. About half the battery with no issues at all - rock solid. Then at about 60% flight battery left, as quickly as it did before, went back to extremely delayed / almost no response to controller input.

I did notice yesterday that right before loosing the control, that it seemed that the motors pulsed several times. Not bad and it really didn't change the altitude at all. Basically made the Solo twitch a couple of times, then it immediately, started with the uncontrollable wandering and loss of control. Got it down to the ground again and it almost flipped over. I was able to keep it from flipping but it got up on two legs several times and I had to give it full stick to keep it from flipping. Finally got it shut down.

Really bummed because right now because I really don't want to even fly it for fear of a flyaway or crashing it hard.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this or what I should be looking at?

Reactions: Loki
Just a suggestion. Next time, set up button A or B to manual. Instead of waiting for GPS lock to take off, press the button and it will say hold fly to start motors, then take off and fly, in manual.
I haven't quite figured out what's going on, but sometimes when I'm in manual, I'll get the controller buzzing, and the lost GPS message. I think it might be because I started in GPS, then switched to manual. Not sure, just a guess.

I'm experiencing the same thing but in gps mode. I've noticed the same motor wiggle right before semi loss of control...have to hold that throttle down and then "oh $h*t ..oh $h*t..oh $h*t" till she stops....I've been staying close to the ground so if it goes bad....it won't be a total loss. ..though I really need to find the solution because it's no fun to have a drone that don't drone....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

You might want to check your motor pods for loose or missing screws. there is a member here that bought a new one from the factory with missing screws

On March 4th, I was flying in the backyard (in manual mode) and almost like a switch flipped, the solo got really squirrely and the response to control input was almost non existent. Controller did not indicate lost signal and the Solo was definitely not in return to home mode. There were no obstacles between me and the Solo and it was only about 15-20 away from me. I won't say I lost total control but the response to input was extremely delayed and felt really "mushy" to non existent.
t?

What app were you using when this occurred?

I have had two similar occurrences in the past week in and a half with a Solo that had been rock solid before that.

Last edited:
Really bummed because right now because I really don't want to even fly it for fear of a flyaway or crashing it hard.

I am completely new to all of this, but replacement of the GPS board was necessary FOR ME to feel comfortable. This isn't the case with everyone.

From what I have read, GPS dependant UAV can get very strange when spotty GPS interacts with RTH protocol, etc. This is true of 3dr, DJI, etc.

To completely get rid of reliance on GPS at landings, you could use "Stabilize". As the sticky at the top regarding landings mentions, being comfortable in this mode is useful. So, I am practicing in that mode.

Remember, in Manual, you are still GPS reliant.

Just a suggestion. Next time, set up button A or B to manual. Instead of waiting for GPS lock to take off, press the button and it will say hold fly to start motors, then take off and fly, in manual.
I haven't quite figured out what's going on, but sometimes when I'm in manual, I'll get the controller buzzing, and the lost GPS message. I think it might be because I started in GPS, then switched to manual. Not sure, just a guess.
Not a recommended practice. When the GPS eventually does get a lock while you're flying around, it will set whatever random position you happen to be at as the home position. If the battery or controller RTH failsafe activates, or you push the home button, it will return to and attempt to land at whatever random location that is. Which could be over a house, trees, people, cars, water, the road, etc.

Reactions: Russ Knight
What app were you using when this occurred?

I have had two similar occurrences in the past week in and a half with a Solo that had been rock solid before that.

I was running Solex both times.

Not a recommended practice. When the GPS eventually does get a lock while you're flying around, it will set whatever random position you happen to be at as the home position. If the battery or controller RTH failsafe activates, or you push the home button, it will return to and attempt to land at whatever random location that is. Which could be over a house, trees, people, cars, water, the road, etc.

Agree 100% and is exactly why I've been getting a lock on the ground before takeoff.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Hopefully we can narrow this down and figure out what's going on.

I may be wrong, but I don't think manual uses GPS. Anyone else have an opinion. Can't find the spec's at the moment.

I may be wrong, but I don't think manual uses GPS. Anyone else have an opinion. Can't find the spec's at the moment.
While in manual, the GPS is not used for navigation and position holding. That doesn't mean all other functions that use the GPS are permanently disabled.

Solo Manual... 8.1.1 pg 65

Fly: Manual mode is a version of standard flight WITHOUT GPS lock.

8.4...pg 66
Fly: Manual, Stabilize, Acro, and Sport modes do not require GPS lock. To take off without GPS lock, Solo must be set to one of these modes...If Solo acquires GPS lock mid-flight, the autopilot saves a home position at that point.

! Caution --"If Solo did not acquire GPS lock prior to takeoff, DO NOT use Return Home"

P2P is spot on again!

Last edited:
I have taken off without GPS lock and used RTH without incident. With the OEM GPS unit I had several places that it would not lock on the ground; took of in Manual and flew straight up 15 to 20 feet acquired lock and then proceeded.

Have not had the need since switching to the M8N GPS.

I have taken off without GPS lock and used RTH without incident. With the OEM GPS unit I had several places that it would not lock on the ground; took of in Manual and flew straight up 15 to 20 feet acquired lock and then proceeded.

Have not had the need since switching to the M8N GPS.

That makes it ok, as long as you actually do that. I used to have to do that too before I put the new v2 GPS shield on it. It was infuriating

I've been flying my Solo's (have 2 of them) since December in my backyard with no issues. I've gotten really comfortable flying them and fly in manual mode most of the time. I figured out early on that flying under tree canopies and loosing GPS signal made her a little squirrely as the signal faded and dropped.

Since then, when flying in the backyard, I've been getting a GPS lock in a clear area, taking her off and switching to manual immediately, flying in manual for the duration of the flight and have also been landing in manual.

When I realized that I had a problem, I immediately went to land and was able to get it to the ground, and held full down on throttle. Shortly after touching down, while full down on throttle was being held, it flipped onto it's back and shut down about 2 seconds after flipping.

This particular Solo has no camera and no gimble.

I went inside and started a ticket to 3DR. Have not heard back from them.

I flew it again yesterday on a different battery and experienced the same thing. About half the battery with no issues at all - rock solid. Then at about 60% flight battery left, as quickly as it did before, went back to extremely delayed / almost no response to controller input.

I did notice yesterday that right before loosing the control, that it seemed that the motors pulsed several times. Not bad and it really didn't change the altitude at all. Basically made the Solo twitch a couple of times, then it immediately, started with the uncontrollable wandering and loss of control. Got it down to the ground again and it almost flipped over. I was able to keep it from flipping but it got up on two legs several times and I had to give it full stick to keep it from flipping. Finally got it shut down.

I have had a very similar problem. I found that it would happen when I would change the speed slider from the control menu in the flight view in Solex. It becomes real shaky and and hard to control. I tried to land it but the motors wouldn't shut down with left stick down and it eventually would flip over. The only way I could shut it down was A+B+Pause. I tried it twice and it did the same thing so I think the problem lies somewhere in there. If I closed the app and restarted it would fly perfectly as long as I didn't adjust the speed from the control menu.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170306-173825.png
    Screenshot_20170306-173825.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
I have had a very similar problem. I found that it would happen when I would change the speed slider from the control menu in the flight view in Solex. It becomes real shaky and and hard to control. I tried to land it but the motors wouldn't shut down with left stick down and it eventually would flip over. The only way I could shut it down was A+B+Pause. I tried it twice and it did the same thing so I think the problem lies somewhere in there. If I closed the app and restarted it would fly perfectly as long as I didn't adjust the speed from the control menu.

I think you may be onto something. Now that you mentioned it, I pretty sure I did slide the speed control during flight on the 1st flight where I had problems. Second flight, I'm 100% sure I accessed the battery selection BC I realized I hadn't set the battery before takeoff. I don't recall if I slid the speed bar or not on the 2nd flight.

@Kelly Schrock Can you give this a shot during your test flights?

Reactions: Wooskie

That could also be the common denominator in my events also, although I am not entirely positive. And not sure I want to test that theory, too hard on props!

Just flew a pack using Solex and did not access the controls menu during flight. No issues for the duration.

I think you may be onto something. Now that you mentioned it, I pretty sure I did slide the speed control during flight on the 1st flight where I had problems. Second flight, I'm 100% sure I accessed the battery selection BC I realized I hadn't set the battery before takeoff. I don't recall if I slid the speed bar or not on the 2nd flight.

@Kelly Schrock Can you give this a shot during your test flights?

I just posted something about this in Solex causing Solo to twitch. Fix incoming. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela