Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. willjr0k5

Howdy folks,

I live in Minnesota and we're supposed to have a high temp today of 21 degrees. Question - is there any documented or recommended lowest flight temperatures that are known about with Solo?

I don't want to venture flights outside in cold weather if it's ill advised.

Thanks in advance!

2. sky_high

3dr recommends to not fly below freezing.
    I do a lot of cold weather astronomy and nothing shortens the life of plastic like cycling between warm/cold.

You may get away with 30, personally I think 21 is too cold. I wouldn't.

3. RichWest

There are/were some cold weather pilots here on the forum. Main complaint is the reduce battery capacity, which is common with LiPo type batteries. Many keep the batteries warm prior to flights.

Use the forum's search and I'm certain there will be several threads discussing your question(s). More than two years worth of conversation and solutions discussed by some fairly smart DIY people.

4. allen_993

There is message on here from a guy who had a motor failure due to cold weather...according to 3DR's interpretation of his log file. Not sure what temp he was flying, but he sent logs to 3DR and they reported back to him that he was flying in temps too low, and that caused the motor to fail.

5. Guy Compton

I flew once in 8 degrees searching for a $200,000 exotic deer that got out of the breeder pens.
    The Solo took off, got about 500 yards away and started acting crazy! Lost connection, then reconnected and several other odd readings. Requested a RTH and it finally made it back.
    I would advise against below freezing as others have suggested.
    In that case I would have rather lost a $6,000 Solo over a $200,000 deer!

6. allen_993

My how times have changed...:)

mikediggs likes this.
  7. Guy Compton

Has a Flir Vue Pro R 640 and an OEMCAMERA Flir gimbal, plus a few other special items.

wlyons likes this.
  8. skcolb

Your experience may vary, but I've done several flights in ~15degF weather and the Solo performed fine.

9. pulsar110

We flew in AK in March. Most days were 17 to 20 degrees. Solo worked fine but the tablets and gopros struggled. Seen the same at the hot end as well in So Cal last summer.