Solo Gimbal Test..

Reaction score
My first test of basic functions with the new 3dr GImbal on the Solo. Wind was light at 5-10mph. Temp was 87 at 6pm. GoPro Hero 4 Bk 1920x1080. Peau 4.35mm lens (yes there is slight discoloration in the corners). I'm no pro video editor..just the basics. No form of stabilization was done on this video at all. It was edited only for clip length and basic color tuning.

Software, Firmware and Gimbal installs all went well without a single issue. The ability to start and stop the recording in flight is going to be a real time saver when back home and editing files.
Critiques and feedback welcome and encouraged. Particularly if you are using a gimbal/flight system of another manufacturer. Let's here the good, the bad and the ugly as long as it is honest and something we can all learn from.

I thought this gimbal did very well on The Horizon Drift test. This is something that has plagued most consumer grade gimbals on the market. And there is a lot of discussion about it in the DJI threads as well. I thought the new 'Watch Me' mode was fun. This is where the Solo will stay in it's position, but turn as needed to keep you in view.

The slight stuttering you see when played back is not in the original video, but has something to do with the encoding on the web?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My first test of basic functions with the new 3dr GImbal on the Solo. Wind was light at 5-10mph. Temp was 87 at 6pm. GoPro Hero 4 Bk 1920x1080. Peau 4.35mm lens (yes there is slight discoloration in the corners). I'm no pro video editor..just the basics. No form of stabilization was done on this video at all. It was edited only for clip length and basic color tuning.

Software, Firmware and Gimbal installs all went well without a single issue. The ability to start and stop the recording in flight is going to be a real time saver when back home and editing files.
Critiques and feedback welcome and encouraged. Particularly if you are using a gimbal/flight system of another manufacturer. Let's here the good, the bad and the ugly as long as it is honest and something we can all learn from.

I thought this gimbal did very well on The Horizon Drift test. This is something that has plagued most consumer grade gimbals on the market. And there is a lot of discussion about it in the DJI threads as well. I thought the new 'Watch Me' mode was fun. This is where the Solo will stay in it's position, but turn as needed to keep you in view.

The slight stuttering you see when played back is not in the original video, but has something to do with the encoding on the web?

I think that is excellent. I personally will be very content with results like that.
Thanks for sharing.

Great first gimbal video! I especially like the orbit shot. Now go find some more of those wild turkeys!;) Thanksgiving will be here before you know it:p

Reactions: Jubalr

Looks good. Regarding the stuttering. I have been battling same thing and more with vimeo. Have not had time to dig into it yet but thought I would mention it.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson

Well if that's your first time with a Solo with Gimbal, can't wait to see you do some more video of more interesting place's.
Thanks for sharing...

Overall not bad, did see some vibrations on the selfie shot on the way down. The cable cam was really cool.

The Orbit shot was really nice, actually amazing. It really is a hard shot to make manually with even light winds, I'm really looking forward to this feature.

I'm not sold on the Peau 4.35mm lens, I'll hold off converting the lens and continue to correct in GP studio. I noticed a blue dot/flare when the lens faced the sun, was this in the original?

You never stated the FPS rate....

Thanks for uploading. For being week one with gimbals, this is the best example video I've seen! Can't wait to use Tower with the gimbal. Just need the gimbal to hit locally and I'm all in.

Orbit looks amazing!

Looks great only one that looks like they could refine a bit to my untrained eye is the new watch me unless that was the Vimeo stutter causing it. Great test I'll be plenty happy with these results too.

So is watch me though gps like follow me I'm guessing or does it follow in another way? I may have missed it but havent seen it in my app is it added to smart shots when you add the gimbal?

Thanks can't wait to get mine still kicking myself for canceling adorama for best buy.

Fantastic! Thank you!!
I am living vicariously through your gimbal :)

Curious:
Did you balance your props?
Any stabilization?
How did you have the speeds set?

Thanks again!!

is this warehouse or factory seems your alone in that area? look like the walking dead shooting location, the video smooth as hell!

Enjoyed the video. All your posts are informative and/or entertaining. BTW... nice truck!

Overall not bad, did see some vibrations on the selfie shot on the way down. The cable cam was really cool.

The Orbit shot was really nice, actually amazing. It really is a hard shot to make manually with even light winds, I'm really looking forward to this feature.

I'm not sold on the Peau 4.35mm lens, I'll hold off converting the lens and continue to correct in GP studio. I noticed a blue dot/flare when the lens faced the sun, was this in the original?

You never stated the FPS rate....

Thanks for uploading. For being week one with gimbals, this is the best example video I've seen! Can't wait to use Tower with the gimbal. Just need the gimbal to hit locally and I'm all in.
Thanks Rich, I believe I found the source for the blues dot, the ND filter had a spot on it that I should have cleaned first. I shot it at 60fps but uploaded it at 30 to save size.

Last edited:
Looks good. Regarding the stuttering. I have been battling same thing and more with vimeo. Have not had time to dig into it yet but thought I would mention it.
Yeah, I was dissapointed in the Vimeo stuttering. I had switched to Vimeo from YT a couple years ago because they are supposed to be better quality and less compression. Not so sure about that now.

What are your impressions of the gimbal so far now that you have seen a few videos? You had been saying for some time how you were wanting to see it with smart shots. Are you disappointed? What did you think of the horizon shot?

Looks great only one that looks like they could refine a bit to my untrained eye is the new watch me unless that was the Vimeo stutter causing it. Great test I'll be plenty happy with these results too.

So is watch me though gps like follow me I'm guessing or does it follow in another way? I may have missed it but havent seen it in my app is it added to smart shots when you add the gimbal?

Thanks can't wait to get mine still kicking myself for canceling adorama for best buy.
Watch me is in the Follow me shot. After you select Follow it will be down in the lower left, where you can select follow or watch. It is GPS dependent just like follow.

Fantastic! Thank you!!
I am living vicariously through your gimbal :)

Curious:
Did you balance your props?
Any stabilization?
How did you have the speeds set?

Thanks again!!
Hey Earl, Props were balanced. There was no stabilization in post at all. Settings were both at 50%.

is this warehouse or factory seems your alone in that area? look like the walking dead shooting location, the video smooth as hell!
Thanks TB. Building is new but is supposed to have a tenant soon. No zombies seen but haven't flown there at night yet..:eek:

Reactions: Earldgrayjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela