Solo gimbal issue yaw motor

Reaction score
Ok this is driving me nuts. My gimbal has a nasty shake on the yaw motor. NO matter what i do it's there. I routed the cable behind the pilar etc. What could be the issue? Also see:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I routed the cable behind the pilar etc.
That is your problem...don't route the cable behind the pilar....the hdmi termination point is establishing the point of pivot at the back of the gimbal. The pivot point should be at the center of the yaw motor. You'll never get clean video with that particular installation method. Just my opinion from user results in using this method.

Further, restricting the gimbal's movement with this method is what I believe to be causing many of the hdmi connector failures on the gimbal. A stress point.

I wish I could delete the "behind the post (V2)" installation video from YT.

Curious, have you balanced your props? The amount or severity of oscillation indicates it's needed.

I put the cable back it was. And it is now fixed for 50%. Pls see the vid it will start nice but as soon as I move to fast it wil start to shake again and only way to stop this is landing an fly again. As if it gets in resonation.

Also look form 4.20 and further up. And the beginning of the video to see the resonation.

First let me say you did a great job in presenting the issue. I can see what and when the action occurs, so this will help in giving suggestions.

Interesting that it would clear when you pitched the camera down. This indicates further where the issue is located. Rotating both directions further helps in ID'ing the problem.

I believe your hdmi cable is likely contacting the post as it makes the turn around the isolator to the front. Could be a side body contact, but that would normally show as a slower/wider vibe.

I've posted a macro vibe solution, it may benefit you in solving your problem if you're interested. I don't promote it as the answer, but the example does point out a possible source for the issue. Also in the same thread note how the hdmi cable is supported off the gimbal and body parts. This is equally important to vibe free video. Take the time to read the thread before performing, as it does evolve as things are further understood.

My question now, is why is your recording not turning off when you disarm the bird? You are obviously using an older FW or using a GP3 variation.... If the latter, do you have the proper weights installed?

Macro vibe reduction?

I have the old gopro black installed. Without the weights the first owner threw them away. Do i need 2 x 6 gram weight of 2 x 3 for the gopro black? I also have now removed the cable's plastic shell up to the ferite core. But still same issue. I bought a brand new gimbal last night form ebay for 52$ so I will change it out and see if it's the gimbal that has the issue.

I finaly fixed it, in the end there were 2 issues and i did two mods:
2 issues:
1. there are 2 flatcables running up to the mobo. Once you go max left or right they have to move indepentenly. They were stuck together after gently pulling them apart it fixed the jitters.
2. I also has severe jello, when taking the tilt assembly appart the 3 screws holding the camera holder were loose so the camera would vibrate in the gimbal. After tightening them also the jello is gone.

The two mods i did:
1. I completeley removed the outer shielding of the hdmi cable up to the ferite core. Now it's nog stiff anymore.
2. Ik removed the netted sleeve from the data cable and sidewebbed the data cable so it nog longer influences the gimbal.

I now have awesome vibe free video. So if you have issues check the assembly of your gimbal first.

Reactions: RichWest
When you get a chance post a video of your results. Would be interesting to see the after video.

Interesting observation of your two issues and your solution to those. Was the looseness noticeable for the camera mount or just that the screws appeared loose?

Will post a video later this week. The looseness was noticable when it took out the camera i felt little play.

I just checked one of my gimbals and the screws were tight. But there is a minor amount play, at least in appearance, but in my case and observation it's the flexing of the mount structure itself. Which is expected.

Good find on the two flat cables sticking together. Definitely an issue if they are stuck together. Same gimbal, my two flat cables separated when yawing the gimbal to either side. I did notice what appeared as sticking, but it was one of the flat cables catching slightly the V-notched disk where it interfaced to the circuit board. And was near the end rotation, so not likely an issue for this gimbal.

Thanks for sharing your observations and work around. The gimbal is designed to rotate (lag) to absorb quick movements, restricted like yours, would be as you described. Gimbals are complex machines.

Finaly the weather cleared a bit. And i managed to make a video. Still some micro vibes but all in all not that bad.

honestly the micro vibes are bugging the hell out of me. What windows software do you recommend for post stabelisation?

At present I'm not using any post stab software, actually never have...I prefer to resolve at the hardware level as much as possible. I have another mod that helps reduces micro-vibes, but seems the consensus it is too hokie for people to try.... I don't promote my mods fwiw, but they are here on the forum if your interested.

Software can eliminate micro vibes to an extent, but you lose sharpness of the image. Your video is softened by the micro vibes, it's why there is an overall haze to the image. You can play around with contrast and saturation to sharpen the image, as you can reduce the haze. Again, I prefer not to edit much if at all, just don't have the patience or eye to correct properly . So I am not expert on post processing.

There are a few threads on stab software, I believe Mercali is the preferred, but don't quote me on that....

I added 10gram weight on the gimbal arm beceause my gopro 4 black would fall to the left. Now it is perfectly balanced. I also change my wiring again. And this is the result. Still some mine shakes but wind was blowing. I have some softer damping balls that I am goint to try:
Vibration Damping Balls (100g=Black) (8 PCS)

Last edited:
Latest test with the new hobbyking dampers and 6 earplugs between the batter tray and mobo. Guess i won't get any smoother then this :)

No doubt the video improved dramatically. Based on your video listings, you have years of experience in understanding vibration mitigation. Obvious to me at least, as you were able to go from marginal to very nice within a couple of weeks.

Seems the Solo gimbal is a hit or miss for many. Your described efforts I understand, but for others it is vague. I'm sure others would appreciate you detailing your efforts so that they may obtain similar results.

Again, really great results!

We will all be grateful to you, if you still are and photos of the cardan, the inside, it would be super!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea