Solo from Best Buy issues with the free gimbal?

Reaction score
I just got a new Solo the other day and after installing the gimbal as to 3DR's exact specifications and doing the firmware update it first was making all kinda of noise. After checking the cables to make sure they were ok I tried restarting everything. The noise kept on and it developed a snake until it quit altogether and sent me a msg on my TX telling me that I needed to contact customer support. Has anyone else had similar issues with a free gimbal, or even worse the same thing with one you bought?

I just got a new Solo the other day and after installing the gimbal as to 3DR's exact specifications and doing the firmware update it first was making all kinda of noise. After checking the cables to make sure they were ok I tried restarting everything. The noise kept on and it developed a snake until it quit altogether and sent me a msg on my TX telling me that I needed to contact customer support. Has anyone else had similar issues with a free gimbal, or even worse the same thing with one you bought?
Me, my gimbal is fine. Its the drone that is messed up. I feel your pain.

if it has not been 14 days then bestbuy should take it back. Dont say anything about the install

Make sure you have a camera in the gimbal whenever it is powered. Otherwise the gimbal will be unbalanced and possibly shake like you described.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It pretty sure that is what normally happens until you put the camera in. At least on mine, but once you put the camera in it should be just fine.

Sounds like one if your gimbal motors might be fried ... I had a video problem last week with my gimbal , think the hdmi cable went out , got a hold of 3DR and they'll replace the whole gimbal for free. They seem to have certain business hours or their swamped because sometimes its impossible to log into my account .

Not only does the GoPro have to be in the gimbal, but it has to be turned on. I got a refurbished gopro4 silver with newer firmware. It has to be manually powered on. Today I was flying and wondered why the gimbal was hanging oddly. Well, I was not using the video and had not turned on the gopro. When the gopro was powered on the gimbal leveled nicely and everything worked fine.

FWIW, the first solo+gimbal I bought from Best Buy included, unbeknown to me, a used gimbal. I only discovered this after disassembling the gimbal and finding 1) a slightly bent metal part, and 2) some grass.

I assume the store managers are under pressure to re-sell returned items as new, so, well, buyer beware...

I just got a new Solo the other day and after installing the gimbal as to 3DR's exact specifications..."
Well there's your problem, 3DR's instructions let you leave the HDMI cable flopping around under the gimbal. Watch one of the dozen or so Youtube videos that show you how to reroute. OR, buy the aftermarket flat hdmi cable. (Note, you need the old cable for the fixed mount so keep it.) I have noticed the gimbal flops without a Go Pro in it until the craft is in the air. Also it may need the camera installed and on to work properly.

if it has not been 14 days then bestbuy should take it back. Dont say anything about the install
Well the gimbal itself was free with the new Solo I got so if anything I'd like to get a replacement one...wonder if they would do that? I ordered it online if that makes any difference.

It pretty sure that is what normally happens until you put the camera in. At least on mine, but once you put the camera in it should be just fine.
Yeah I was meaning that it has the shake with the camera in it whenever I power up. I wouldn't even try to power it up with nothing in the gimbal, but thanks anyway. lol

Yeah that's similar to what mine was doing, although it started out by just being a loud noise along with some bad vibration. It eventually did something like yours is and flashed a signal to the transmitter telling me to contact customer support. I'd imagine they will tell me to do the compass and level calibrations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986