Solo: Forced Failsafe in Manual mode (switching Tx off)

Reaction score
Hello,

in order to work with drones professionally in Germany you have to be tested.
One item of this test is switching your transmitter off and checking if failsafe is working properly.

I am wondering what happens if you switch Solo's Tx off during flight in "MANUAL" (Attitude mode) without a sat fix during takeoff. Will the aircraft descend and land without damage?
Has anyone tried this in manual mode?

In GPS mode it should return to it's start location, right?

Thanks a lot!
Geerd

Fail safe with GPS, yes, it'll return to launch location and land.

Not sure without GPS. If it got a lock during flight, it might return to that point. If there's no GPS lock, I'm thinking it'll land wherever it is. Whether that happens without damage depends entirely on what's below it.

Standard RC failsafe parameters are:

Do nothing
Disarm if on ground or throttle is at zero
RTL
Land
Continue with mission.

It's set to RTL, but I'd have to think the fallback would be Land if there was no GPS lock, but others might be able to verify.

I've tested the RTL failsafe on my other Pixhawk based quads, and it works every time, but I don't take off without a GPS lock... ever.

I have tested the Solo on a few features by turning off the Tx just as I have with other builds. No problem at all. If you waited for a GPS lock then the Solo will RTL when you switch off and it is not related to any mode. Same result from Fly, Manual, Acro, Etc.. doesn't matter. If you take off without a lock, Lock will likely be achieved anyway shortly after takeoff and it will return to the point below which the lock was obtained. If for some reason there is no GPS lock recorded or there is no GPS when you switch off, Solo will land where it is.
Good luck on your test.

Reactions: Acroduster
I have tested the Solo on a few features by turning off the Tx just as I have with other builds. No problem at all. If you waited for a GPS lock then the Solo will RTL when you switch off and it is not related to any mode. Same result from Fly, Manual, Acro, Etc.. doesn't matter. If you take off without a lock, Lock will likely be achieved anyway shortly after takeoff and it will return to the point below which the lock was obtained. If for some reason there is no GPS lock recorded or there is no GPS when you switch off, Solo will land where it is.
Good luck on your test.
As always, Jubalr, thanks for your insite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40