Solo Field Report

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
We all know if you read it on The Internet then it must be true, right? I gotta tell y’all … I nearly cancelled my Solo order based on “fly-away” claims and crash video, but I am so glad I did not!

When I began my search for a drone I knew very little about the tech, and brand names. I was flying both real aircraft, and RC models; and I wanted something I could use to capture aerial footage and stills. Airplanes and helicopters are cool, but they are very expensive to operate. As I began my research I worked my way through the DJI copters and considered some of the higher end models. All very cool tech, but I simply wanted something I could put in the air and capture great images, without spending $4000.

I found Colin Guinn via a Google search; which lead me to 3DR, and Solo. I was immediately enamored by Solo simply because the concept is simple. The Solo launch video is about cinematography and Colin sends a message: Solo is a tool to make art, which is exactly what I wanted.

As we know, Solo has two processors – one in the controller, and one in the copter … simple, and smart. Processing power means speed, efficiency and I do not have to think so much! This is what immediately attracted me to Solo, and so the love affair beings.

Solo is one complex little piece of technology that 3DR has made user friendly. In my opinion Solo is as easy to operate as Collin depicts in the 3DR YouTube videos. I have been told I am as geeky as they come… I love complex things and Solo offers me complexity without the workload. Yes, the quick start guide is truly enough to get you flying and I am certain the average person will be able to enjoy Solo, and use it to capture fantastic video. Of course I read the full manual prior to take off and recommend everyone do the same.

Unboxing – Packaging was adequate, and the box Solo comes in is impressive – reminded me of a game system box. It was apparent I purchased something of value. The 3DR box within a box … I think this is AWESOME! Someone thought about how I would carry my Solo to the field. Its not made of MILSPEC materials but this box is perfect for carrying Solo, battery, controller, props, and GoPro to the field on a nice day. Smart and efficient!

Setup – Quick Start Guide gives you the need-to-know in order to get flying. Simple, straight forward, and precise… Follow the directions and Solo is flying. I suggest updating your phone or tablet, and quitting all programs on your mobile device before interfacing with Solo. I experienced ZERO connection issues with Solo’s Wi-Fi. Perform Solo’s update and be patient … wait for Solo to install, and wait for the Solo Wi-Fi to appear in your network connections.

USE OF CHECKLISTS: If for whatever reason you find yourself confused or questioning flight status, return to the beginning of the quick start guide and begin again. You should be able to recite the quick start procedures from memory.

FLY! Colin does say, “choose a large open field” … Pretty clear on why. Pilots make mistakes … Google “CFIT” … Open field, blue sky, and GPS lock … GO FLIGHT! My maiden was this simple … I followed the instructions, placed Solo on a level surface, powered ON, waited for GPS – Solo talks to you – and then I let Solo handle the rest. I found Solo to be so precise I eventually chose to fly in manual mode with increased performance values to see what kind of pilot errors I am capable of. The few “Uh Oh” moments I found myself in were immediately corrected by pressing PAUSE on the controller – P.S. Solo is capable of descending fast enough to induce cavitation and I am certain if one tries hard enough you can induce a stall and drop Solo from the sky …

I tested all the flight modes… HOME, CABLE CAM, ORBIT, SELFIE, and FOLLOW ME … Ridiculous! Solo performed flawlessly out of the box and I pretty much wore “HOME” out … I am blown away by the auto level and self-stabilization embedded into Solo’s system. I flew in 6 knots – reported at KGVL – with mountain waves as I fly at the foot of small mountains. Solo was obviously compensating and did a great job at doing so. I recorded a short video directly to my iPad and was impressed with the FPV and recorded file.

Field Report: SOLO EXCEEDS MY EXPECTATIONS

Worth mentioning … Preflight I went over my Solo with a fine tooth comb and checked fasteners, connections and overall quality … I found no problems and rate Solo fit and finish “A+”

Post Flight: Solo is HOT! Of course it’s 95 degrees here and 105 on the tarmac. I had to let Solo cool for a while before recharge and flying again.

Note: The battery fitment issue I reported in another post resolved after my first flight. Not sure why, but the battery secures and detaches with ease now.

I will upload a short video file soon ... nothing earth shattering ... just my first few moments with Solo

Last edited:
Great report Squirrel. Thanks for sharing and glad you had fun!

Great to see someone new to quads coming in having a great experience simply by reading and watching things to gain some info on solo pre flight. A lot of folks jumping into solo and crashing I believe simply didn't read or research and hoped it would just be easy to pick up on the fly.

Great report, good luck and glad your as happy as I am with your solo.

Enjoy the honeymoon, just a matter of time before she wakes up with a bad case of PMS.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
We all know if you read it on The Internet then it must be true, right? I gotta tell y’all … I nearly cancelled my Solo order based on “fly-away” claims and crash video, but I am so glad I did not!

When I began my search for a drone I knew very little about the tech, and brand names. I was flying both real aircraft, and RC models; and I wanted something I could use to capture aerial footage and stills. Airplanes and helicopters are cool, but they are very expensive to operate. As I began my research I worked my way through the DJI copters and considered some of the higher end models. All very cool tech, but I simply wanted something I could put in the air and capture great images, without spending $4000.

I found Colin Guinn via a Google search; which lead me to 3DR, and Solo. I was immediately enamored by Solo simply because the concept is simple. The Solo launch video is about cinematography and Colin sends a message: Solo is a tool to make art, which is exactly what I wanted.

As we know, Solo has two processors – one in the controller, and one in the copter … simple, and smart. Processing power means speed, efficiency and I do not have to think so much! This is what immediately attracted me to Solo, and so the love affair beings.

Solo is one complex little piece of technology that 3DR has made user friendly. In my opinion Solo is as easy to operate as Collin depicts in the 3DR YouTube videos. I have been told I am as geeky as they come… I love complex things and Solo offers me complexity without the workload. Yes, the quick start guide is truly enough to get you flying and I am certain the average person will be able to enjoy Solo, and use it to capture fantastic video. Of course I read the full manual prior to take off and recommend everyone do the same.

Unboxing – Packaging was adequate, and the box Solo comes in is impressive – reminded me of a game system box. It was apparent I purchased something of value. The 3DR box within a box … I think this is AWESOME! Someone thought about how I would carry my Solo to the field. Its not made of MILSPEC materials but this box is perfect for carrying Solo, battery, controller, props, and GoPro to the field on a nice day. Smart and efficient!

Setup – Quick Start Guide gives you the need-to-know in order to get flying. Simple, straight forward, and precise… Follow the directions and Solo is flying. I suggest updating your phone or tablet, and quitting all programs on your mobile device before interfacing with Solo. I experienced ZERO connection issues with Solo’s Wi-Fi. Perform Solo’s update and be patient … wait for Solo to install, and wait for the Solo Wi-Fi to appear in your network connections.

USE OF CHECKLISTS: If for whatever reason you find yourself confused or questioning flight status, return to the beginning of the quick start guide and begin again. You should be able to recite the quick start procedures from memory.

FLY! Colin does say, “choose a large open field” … Pretty clear on why. Pilots make mistakes … Google “CFIT” … Open field, blue sky, and GPS lock … GO FLIGHT! My maiden was this simple … I followed the instructions, placed Solo on a level surface, powered ON, waited for GPS – Solo talks to you – and then I let Solo handle the rest. I found Solo to be so precise I eventually chose to fly in manual mode with increased performance values to see what kind of pilot errors I am capable of. The few “Uh Oh” moments I found myself in were immediately corrected by pressing PAUSE on the controller – P.S. Solo is capable of descending fast enough to induce cavitation and I am certain if one tries hard enough you can induce a stall and drop Solo from the sky …

I tested all the flight modes… HOME, CABLE CAM, ORBIT, SELFIE, and FOLLOW ME … Ridiculous! Solo performed flawlessly out of the box and I pretty much wore “HOME” out … I am blown away by the auto level and self-stabilization embedded into Solo’s system. I flew in 6 knots – reported at KGVL – with mountain waves as I fly at the foot of small mountains. Solo was obviously compensating and did a great job at doing so. I recorded a short video directly to my iPad and was impressed with the FPV and recorded file.

Field Report: SOLO EXCEEDS MY EXPECTATIONS

Worth mentioning … Preflight I went over my Solo with a fine tooth comb and checked fasteners, connections and overall quality … I found no problems and rate Solo fit and finish “A+”

Post Flight: Solo is HOT! Of course it’s 95 degrees here and 105 on the tarmac. I had to let Solo cool for a while before recharge and flying again.

Note: The battery fitment issue I reported in another post resolved after my first flight. Not sure why, but the battery secures and detaches with ease now.

I will upload a short video file soon ... nothing earth shattering ... just my first few moments with Solo
Very good write up. Yes, it is quite complex. Complexity to the point when everything is working the way it should, it is very easy.
It's a great little flying machine for sure.

Nice write up. My thoughts exactly. I did have one flight where I lost connection and solo did exactly what it was supposed to do, RTHed. I am new to drones and I love this Solo.

New to the drones, the Solo is also my first experience. Have followed everything to the T and have had no problems whatsoever. Am very impressed as to how easy the drone is to fly.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
New to the drones, the Solo is also my first experience. Have followed everything to the T and have had no problems whatsoever. Am very impressed as to how easy the drone is to fly.
Nice, the more of us that are doing it the right way the smaller the percentage gets of those doing the dumb a&/t.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, just joining here has been a huge plus for me learning dos and donts without all the wrecks from more experienced folks here. I've learned way more here than any manual or video I've seen in the year I've been flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea