Solo battery Charging

Reaction score
I have a question about maintaing the Solo batteries. Is it best to periodically charge the batteries to full, or can you leave them for a few weeks or longer and then charge them full right before you use them?
I guess what I am really asking is, what is the best way to maintain the batteries during the time between flying outings?
I've noticed that if all my batteries are charged fully after we are done flying, in a week to ten days, they all loose from 2 to 3 lights on the light bar. So usually the night before I am going to fly, I charge up all my batteries to full, and they all seem to work fine. ( I have 10 batteries for 3 solos, and I charge all the batteries we use back to full on the same day after we fly. I am really impressed that every time I check them all a week or 2 later, they are all down 2 or three lights. Even the ones we putt in the solos that are full. So far every one has shown the same number of lights when you check them. I am still amazed at that)
I did buy all of them new, within about 30 days of one another
I just haven't had any experience with smart batteries, or lithium batteries for that matter. I learned how to handle ni-cad packs more years ago than I want to tell, and I learned that how you charge/discharge, match cells etc. has a lot to do with performance, and battery life.
I really would appreciate any and all the information you are willing to share, and please assume I know nothing about these, ( Because I don't ) and I really need the 101 coarse here.
Thank you in advance. I really enjoy the information in the forum and have learned a lot. Brian Gailey.

Hi, what you are experiencing is normal for the Li-ion or Li-Po battery. Per cell these will stay at 3.7 volts for up to 10 years but for us drone flyers or a vaper like me they have the ability to charge to 4.2 Volts.. but left un-attended they will loose charge until they reach 3.7 volts and hold there (Without use). So you are doing things right! keep batts you are currently using charged as soon as possible, top off before using, and if you are going to store your batteries check the "Storage" voltage for your multi cell Li-Po.

Thanks so much for the information, I just wasn't totally sure about how they worked. The reasons I was using them the way I was, is because I picked that much up from reading posts on this forum. I knew they were way better than our old ni-cads, I just didn't know how much better.
So..... now I have another related question, is their any reason you should leave a charged battery in your Solo until you are ready to fly again? I would think if it is off, it wouldn't know wheather it had a battery in it or not, but with something that has 2 on board computers, I would just like to know for sure.

The Solo smart battery will self discharge down to 50%
You should not store your batteries fully charged. That is not good for a long battery life I assume you are hoping for. Store them at 50% charge away from the heat if possible.
I'll charge my batteries the day before I need them. Any unused batteries I'll take out and hover in the front yard down to about 50% charge and store them away.
If you run your battery down below 10% charge it up to at least 50% as soon as possible. Storing them empty will kill the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela