Solo app no picture

Reaction score
Had a hard landing now neither the solo app nor Solex display an image on my tablet. GP app displayed an image. Is the gimbal damaged irreperably or could it be th MB of Solo?

Do you have a green light on the gimbal and gimbal control?

More details are needed to access you troubles.
I have a slowly flashing green light on the gimbal. Where is the light on the control at?

The GP app uses the wireless streaming feature of your camera, it's a completely different method than the Solo app and solex (which use the HDMI connection).

Just some quick checks for you to do:

Have you got a HDMI cable that fits your gopro? If so, plug it into the gopro and the other end into the TV. Just want to verify that the HDMI out on the gopro is working.

Another quick check to do is check the screen resolution of your tablet. Make sure it's set on the lowest resolution possible (that should be 720P). If it's set higher than 1080P that can affect Solex being able to display the gopro feed.

Turn off the solo, remove the go pro, put it back into the solo. Make sure the HDMI is fully pressed in (it's easy to hook it up without pushing it in far enough), then see if you get a picture on the app.

Open your app, if you still can't get a feed, check the other aspects of the gimble, can you still tilt it up and down etc and control it from both the controller and the solex app? (and make sure you do this WITH the gopro in the gimbal)

If none of the above work it's possible that the HDMI lead may have come loose inside the bird and you need to reconnect it.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I have a slowly flashing green light on the gimbal. Where is the light on the control at?
The GP app uses the wireless streaming feature of your camera, it's a completely different method than the Solo app and solex (which use the HDMI connection).

Just some quick checks for you to do:

Have you got a HDMI cable that fits your gopro? If so, plug it into the gopro and the other end into the TV. Just want to verify that the HDMI out on the gopro is working.

Another quick check to do is check the screen resolution of your tablet. Make sure it's set on the lowest resolution possible (that should be 720P). If it's set higher than 1080P that can affect Solex being able to display the gopro feed.

Turn off the solo, remove the go pro, put it back into the solo. Make sure the HDMI is fully pressed in (it's easy to hook it up without pushing it in far enough), then see if you get a picture on the app.

Open your app, if you still can't get a feed, check the other aspects of the gimble, can you still tilt it up and down etc and control it from both the controller and the solex app? (and make sure you do this WITH the gopro in the gimbal)

If none of the above work it's possible that the HDMI lead may have come loose inside the bird and you need to reconnect it.
The HDMI port on the GP is working.My tablet has no provision or setting to change the resolution and had no problem displaying video feed before the hard landing. Removed and unplugged the batt tray and the gimbal. pushed onthe connection of the cable to the MB, reconnected and re-assembled the batt tray and the gimbal. All flight and gimbal control functions are working and can start recording from the Solo app. No video display on my tablet.

Can anyone help me out? I would like to borrow or rent a known working gimbal. This will aid in narrowing down the possibilities.
I'm in Denver. bruce285@ymail .com.

I'd probably bet a dollar that it's the HDMI female on the gimbal itself. That fkr is notorious for being delicate. Are you using the original cable that came with solo? That fkr is way too stiff and breaks sht all the time, imo. Also, one of our members made a discovery that has helped a few folks. That is; inside solo, where the HDMI female sits, you must use a piece of rubber-like material and wedge it between the HDMI female and the board that is just under it. In other words, ya want to have the piece of rubber-like material putting a slight pressure on the Female, thus pressing it more firmly against its board. Understand? Those are the two main culprits. This gimbal really is a pos, imo. It's just way too delicate. That said, when it works it works wonderfully. You can narrow it down by running the cable from solo directly to the gopro, thus bypassing the gimbal HDMI. If it works, then BOOM....ya have your answer. If it still doesn't work, make sure the camera is turned on. If you've applied a bit of pressure to the solo HDMI and still no vid I'd suggest swapping out the board that teh HDMI female is on....I think it's called the IMX board. or some shit like that. You can look it up.

Last edited:
I did remove and bypass the gimbal. No joy. That does'nt eliminate the USB cable though it does seem to eliminate the gimbal as a culprit. It does'nt appear there is enough space between female USB receptacle and the board to put any thing. Looking online for the IMF board you mentioned. BTW thanks to everyone for the info you are providing.

I did remove and bypass the gimbal. No joy. That does'nt eliminate the USB cable though it does seem to eliminate the gimbal as a culprit. It does'nt appear there is enough space between female USB receptacle and the board to put any thing. Looking online for the IMF board you mentioned. BTW thanks to everyone for the info you are providing.
I probably didn't describe the positioning of the spongy/rubber material very well. O'kay, say you've raised the motherboard a little from the solo to check the HDMI cable. What ya need to do next is place the material in such a way as to put pressure on the HDMI connector. So, the material would be between the HDMI connector and whatever is above it, towards the sky. I just reread my initial response and I was way wrong. I thought I had the right picture in my minds eye, because I didn't want to pull everything apart just to make sure. But now that I sit here unhampered by attitude altering substances, I remember that the material actually presses down on the back of the connector. Whew, glad that's squared away. So, anyway you're sure your camera HDMI port is good? I fk'd up the HDMI input on my GoPro after a massive hard landing one time. Either that or I just pushed too hard on the cable to connect that fkr. I can't really remember But I do know that GoPro replaced the thing for me, so that was cool. But mine was obvious because when I looked at the HDMI port, I could see that fkr was all Trump'd out. ( That means, "Fuk'd up") So that's what ya do first....make sure your camera HDMI is Disney. Then , like we said, bypass the gimbal .....only make sure your cable that you are using is good. (That's kind of important, imo). Next is the part that the other end of the HDMI cable plugs in to on the solo. Because if you get this far and still no joy, it's gonna be that you have to press the HDMI connector more firmly to the board or just replace that fkn board. I mean that's all there is ( I think). The camera goes to the board thru a cable and the board transmits the image to the tablet. Oh, one other thing....make sure your WIFI on the camera is turned OFF. That's beaucoup important, dude. Seriously. That's about all I can think of. I hope you get it fingered out. Otherwise the solo is just a pretty cool toy. I can't wait for another gimbal to come on the market...one that's a bit more robust, know what I mean? And batteries. Jesus H Christ Batteries!!

Reactions: Matman
The sponge trick finally wormed it's way through my thick skull. I did manage to get the foam between the HDMI plug and and HDMI transmitter board above it. Alas no workee. I am in the process of checking the micro HDMI port on the GP. The same port the Solo uses. I would love to get ahold of a cable that is known good. MicroCenter has very little to offer in that particular flavor of cable.The GP ports are not visually Trumped. I will have to get another HDMI cable somewhere. eBay looks like. I am bummed that there are so few resources for Solo parts, boards etc. but I ain't givin up yet. I may have found another complete Solo that I'll be able to use as a reference rig. Won't know til next week.
Good luck with the substance issue, I had a run-in with a bottle of bourbon last night myself. Aside from a bit of brain damage I guess I'm OK till the go-around.

The sponge trick finally wormed it's way through my thick skull. I did manage to get the foam between the HDMI plug and and HDMI transmitter board above it. Alas no workee. I am in the process of checking the micro HDMI port on the GP. The same port the Solo uses. I would love to get ahold of a cable that is known good. MicroCenter has very little to offer in that particular flavor of cable.The GP ports are not visually Trumped. I will have to get another HDMI cable somewhere. eBay looks like. I am bummed that there are so few resources for Solo parts, boards etc. but I ain't givin up yet. I may have found another complete Solo that I'll be able to use as a reference rig. Won't know til next week.
Good luck with the substance issue, I had a run-in with a bottle of bourbon last night myself. Aside from a bit of brain damage I guess I'm OK till the go-around.
Hey. I was just thinking ( and it hurts!) that the HDMI cable that comes with the solo and connects to the solo and gimbal , rarely goes bad, imo. I mean, that sumbtch is sturdy....that's why it breaks the HDMI ports that are soldered to the edge of each board whether it be the gimbal or IMX. So, Here's what I'm thinking.; because I had the same issue once upon a time, just plug the end of the cable that usually goes into the gimbal straight into the camera and see if you get feed. You know that you have to manually turn on the camera first, right? So, plug that beast into your GP, turn it on, fire up the controller and the solo, connect to the solex app, wait til that chick says, " Connected to solo" and any parameters are finished loading, then on the tablet screen push the "FLY" icon and solex will switch over to hopefully show your camera feed and all the other stuff it shows when you're cruisin the wild blue yonder. You could also disconnect the HDMI cable completely from the set up and use that cable to connect to your TV or computer or whatever ( assuming you have any of that shyt) and that will narrow it down further. I would be very surprised if the cable were bad. But if you want another original, stiff, pos HDMI cable then I have about 4 of them and I'd be happy to send one to ya. Happy Thanksgiving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela