SoCal fliers out there? where to fly and practice.

Reaction score
Hey guys! out in the greater L.A. area, anyone know where is a good area to fly? I heard the Sepulveda Dam was one area? any others? I realize I can google this info, but would rather have first hand info.

Ecko park, Griffith park, are some good ones. Also there are some good places at the Angeles National Forest.

Sent from my Z828 using Tapatalk

Hollywood Reservoir might be nice. Not sure if you can fly there though.

Hey guys! out in the greater L.A. area, anyone know where is a good area to fly? I heard the Sepulveda Dam was one area? any others? I realize I can google this info, but would rather have first hand info.
You know what I've also been to Lake Hollywood and its got great views and places to fly...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in the same boat too. I am in OC (Orange County - SoCal) and I am using the B4UFly app to locate large open spaces (like parks) that are not within 5 miles of any airport or helipad.

When I find a park and try to obtain details on any flight restrictions, I rarely can find anything. I even have tried to contact the city, but I cannot find a person who can comment.

I know the regional parks in SoCal prohibit the use of Motorized Vehicles (which I assume includes drones) at least according to OCparks.com.

While I know a few friends that do not bother following the rules for UAVs, I like to play it safe. However, I am having a difficult time trying to find where I truly can or cannot fly.

Additionally, the FAA does not make it any easier. While I have read everything pertaining to UAS, and the flight restrictions, it still says that you will need to verify if there are any additional restrictions in the area.

Does anyone have any good sites or know any locations that allow UAS in Orange County? Or is there a specific website that may hold this mystical information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have taken my solo up in all these places with no problems at all. Just stay under 400 feet and it should be ok. I would post my footage but I the site doesn't take .avi

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in the same boat too. I am in OC (Orange County - SoCal) ... I am having a difficult time trying to find where I truly can or cannot fly. ... Does anyone have any good sites or know any locations that allow UAS in Orange County?

Greetings from OC! Unfortunately it differs from city to city here. Mission Viejo allows drones in almost all their parks, and Huntington Beach City allows drone flying at their beach (not near or above people of course!) and safely near their famous pier (don't fly too close or above or below it!), but Irvine and Lake Forest and Fountain Valley absolutely prohibit drones in all their parks. If you wanna help me compile an online list of drone-friendly OC parks and other places to fly, drop me a PM.

I live in Santa Ana and have only flown my Solo a couple of times in the city so I can't really comment about OC.

I tend to fly mine out in the desert where I know I will get no complaints, cause hardly anyone is there. The goal for me is not to become a great pilot but to get competent enough so that I can one day take a good landscape type video or incorporate it into say a hiking or camping video, location shots etc.

Where at Angeles National Forest. / Location / access?
I sometimes fly at the mouth of Angeles crest ora vista the last left before you go in the canyon there is a little dirt parking lot i fly from right there,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela