So I bought A Karma And Here's A Few Thoughts And A Couple Clips

Reaction score
I just thought that some might be interested in what a Solo owner thinks of the Karma. The funniest thing is, and this is NOT to hate on the Solo, but all the things reviewers have bagged on the Karma about, don't bother me because I have a Solo.

Here are some of the common reviewer complaints,

Lack of sensors, crash avoidance, positioning, etc - yea never had them before.

Lack of super long range- barely able to get 1/2 a mile with Solo so I'm getting more now. Besides, "line of sight" is the rule, right?

Lack of portability- not compared to my other bird!

Heavy- yea...no.

Battery life- about the same.

Camera- Hero 5>Hero 4

Ground Clearance- Way better, no mods necessary.

GPS- Karma has Glasnost out of the box

Slow start up- yea they've never waited for Solo to start. Karma is ready to fly in about a minute.

Backpack- More compact than the Solo's and easier to get things in and out of.

Things I like about the Solo over the Karma;

1. BETTER LOOKING!!!
2. Possibility of modification and updates- although that's looking less likely.
3. Open source
4. Somewhat more stable in flight
5. Considerably faster
6. Better Smart Shots
7. More Screen Info
8. Bigger Screen Options
9. Main Battery Charger
10. Better Ground Clearance- for the props
11. Records to the Phone/Tablet

Things I like about the Karma over the Solo;

1. Front mounted camera- zero props or legs in the shot...PERIOD!
2. Go Pro Hero 5- water proof to 10 meters, at least you might get your camera back after a water landing. Slightly better video IMHO.
3. Detachable gimbal- can be used in any number of ways. I don't see my camera ever coming out of it.
4. Ground Clearance-for the camera
5. Controller- built in screen, no antennae, compact, decent controls, download maps right to it at home or onsite with mobile hotspot, closes to protect controls.
6. Everything but the battery uses the same charger type and it's a standard one- no special chargers necessary.
7. No need to remove props- ready to go in seconds.
8. Better Range- only 5 flights but zero "signal lost" over 2,000' away and "way up" so fingers crossed.
9. Passenger App- partially negates screen concern since you can hook it up to a 20" tablet if you wish. Allows passenger to control camera.

Quick flight out of the box.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mounted on my bike. ND8 filter on. Gimbal has limits with how much wind pressure it can take. I'm brainstorming! Telemetry stuff is way cool!

Last edited:
Another quick clip trying Orbit...

I just thought that some might be interested in what a Solo owner thinks of the Karma. The funniest thing is, and this is NOT to hate on the Solo, but all the things reviewers have bagged on the Karma about, don't bother me because I have a Solo.

Here are some of the common reviewer complaints,

Lack of sensors, crash avoidance, positioning, etc - yea never had them before.

Lack of super long range- barely able to get 1/2 a mile with Solo so I'm getting more now. Besides, "line of sight" is the rule, right?

Lack of portability- not compared to my other bird!

Heavy- yea...no.

Battery life- about the same.

Camera- Hero 5>Hero 4

Ground Clearance- Way better, no mods necessary.

GPS- Karma has Glasnost out of the box

Slow start up- yea they've never waited for Solo to start. Karma is ready to fly in about a minute.

Backpack- More compact than the Solo's and easier to get things in and out of.

Things I like about the Solo over the Karma;

1. BETTER LOOKING!!!
2. Possibility of modification and updates- although that's looking less likely.
3. Open source
4. Somewhat more stable in flight
5. Considerably faster
6. Better Smart Shots
7. More Screen Info
8. Bigger Screen Options
9. Main Battery Charger
10. Better Ground Clearance- for the props
11. Records to the Phone/Tablet

Things I like about the Karma over the Solo;

1. Front mounted camera- zero props or legs in the shot...PERIOD!
2. Go Pro Hero 5- water proof to 10 meters, at least you might get your camera back after a water landing. Slightly better video IMHO.
3. Detachable gimbal- can be used in any number of ways. I don't see my camera ever coming out of it.
4. Ground Clearance-for the camera
5. Controller- built in screen, no antennae, compact, decent controls, download maps right to it at home or onsite with mobile hotspot, closes to protect controls.
6. Everything but the battery uses the same charger type and it's a standard one- no special chargers necessary.
7. No need to remove props- ready to go in seconds.
8. Better Range- only 5 flights but zero "signal lost" over 2,000' away and "way up" so fingers crossed.
9. Passenger App- partially negates screen concern since you can hook it up to a 20" tablet if you wish. Allows passenger to control camera.

Quick flight out of the box.

Mounted on my bike. ND8 filter on. Gimbal has limits with how much wind pressure it can take. I'm brainstorming! Telemetry stuff is way cool!

Thanks for sharing! I'll probably get one if/when they go on "fire sale". Heaven knows I don't need another multi-rotor!

Thanks for sharing! I'll probably get one if/when they go on "fire sale". Heaven knows I don't need another multi-rotor!

Yea I got mine with a spare battery for $700 so I thought that wasn't too bad. I honestly think they might have something in this form factor if they can add a few positioning sensors to help it hover in place and increase flight time. Crash avoidance would be nice but to hold this price point, I'd save it for a "pro" version or something.

Nice, the video in the clips you posted looked nice and steady. I am envious of the Karma's ability to use the Hero 5. The water proofing would definitely ease my mind when flying over water, since I have some spare Solos, but no spare Hero 4s!

I think there's lots to like in the Karma. I hope GoPro can stay in the game, since rarely (read pretty much never) does the consumer benefit in any market monopolized by one company.

Nice, the video in the clips you posted looked nice and steady. I am envious of the Karma's ability to use the Hero 5. The water proofing would definitely ease my mind when flying over water, since I have some spare Solos, but no spare Hero 4s!

I think there's lots to like in the Karma. I hope GoPro can stay in the game, since rarely (read pretty much never) does the consumer benefit in any market monopolized by one company.

Yea full disclosure, I'm now not sure how "water proof" it is when attached to the drone because the side door is removed. Whoops!

I also hope that Go Pro can stay in the game and with just a few tweaks, they could really have something in my opinion. Oh and one more thing that I like, for $50 you get an entire "arm" that includes the motor, led, etc and it's really easy to change. It comes in quite handy if you, for example, hit a tree while flying in sport mode. Yea....

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up and comments. Always good hear some feedback on other models. I just had an issue with my Hero4 Black and best buy will only replace with the Hero5. Normally not a bad deal to upgrade tech but unless I've missed something, Solo won't be compatible with the 5.

I'm enticed by the Karma and your write up hits on many of the thoughts I have on Solo.

Maybe I'll look for Hero 4 silver or black on ebay to keep the solo feasible.

Thanks for the write up and comments. Always good hear some feedback on other models. I just had an issue with my Hero4 Black and best buy will only replace with the Hero5. Normally not a bad deal to upgrade tech but unless I've missed something, Solo won't be compatible with the 5.

I'm enticed by the Karma and your write up hits on many of the thoughts I have on Solo.

Maybe I'll look for Hero 4 silver or black on ebay to keep the solo feasible.

Last I knew you could still get a Hero 4 Black from B&H Photo.

Sports & Action Cameras | B&H Photo Video

Yeah, its not so much finding another Hero 4 Black, its just another expense to keep the Solo up and running.

Oh I completely understand that. That's why I moved on to another platform after my last loss. I just couldn't see throwing more money at this unit. I would have been another $600+ including mods and I couldn't see dropping that when less than a grand put me into a whole new system.

Ooh I have another cool feature of the Karma. You can charge your phone or other items with the battery charger! Pretty cool!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986