Smart shots vs DJI variants (cable cam vs waypoints)

Reaction score
So I've got a solo+gimbal+gopro silver, but I was curious about the smart shots vs dji.

I know the dji stuff HAS smart shots/their version...but is the video better?

How well does zipline/cable cam compare to waypoints?

I've used the phantom 4, but I didn't get a chance to try out too much, other than the active tracking, which I was not really impressed with. It lost/couldn't identify me multiple times.

So, as far as footage goes, are they the same? Better? Worse?

Right now I use the solo when I get to a cool spot (I found a mine near my house the other day) and had the solo start at the bottom of the hill, come up to the mine, circle around and pan the camera to the spots I wanted-all automatically. Basically, exactly what "smart shot" is.

I've been thinking of picking up a Mavic, SOLELY because of size-during my hike I had a few bottles of water, the solo backpack+stuff needed.

However, the big hold up for me is the video shots-does DJI have anything that actually compares to this? I'm not asking about the mavic since its not out, but how does the phantom 4 compare in that regard?

It seems we really tote the "solo has better smart shots/smoother video" thing compared to the dji stuff.

This was a quick test I did the other day with the solo-it was REALLY windy too!
Really happy with the solo, but I'm curious if the mavic will offer similar/same video capability ie: getting the shots I want.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was hashed out over on RCG. It started with DJI owners (all models) saying they could duplicate the cinematic looks the Solo was getting by using the 3rd party apps of Litchi and Autopilot. However it never happened, and it's because of the extra computing power in the Solo and controller to calculate WPs and non linear gimbal movements into one smooth motion. In fact, one of the testers is on this forum and has both products; Here is one of his tests..

If you want to research the subject: 3DR Solo Cable Cam...Can DJI compete or Beat? - RC Groups

Here is an example of the cinematic transitions in 5 dimensions that no other craft has been able to exceed.

That said, the portability of the Mavic is appealing for some situations. Just don't expect to get the smooth moves the Solo is capable of.

Reactions: SteveReno
Yeah, I guess I'll keep the solo and maybe pickup a karma/mavic later down the road when I need the ultra-portability.

I'm a dad, and a "set it and forget it" mpcc/waypoints is what I need. Go to the spots and camera angles I want, and let the drone do the rest. Solo absolutely wins hands down when it comes to that. That way at camping spots etc I can setup the shots how I want and let it capture everything...and smoothly too, without needing to monitor everything/and adjust camera constantly!

I read through all 30+pages of that thread lol, most of it is people with their pantys in a wad.
Seems like you CAN get the phantoms do kind of do what you want, but it requires tons more work.

I've got a phantom 4 at work, and trying to get quick shots of stuff is a pita. I mainly end up doing "orbit" or something simple like that.

For getting cinematic shots, the solo KILLS IT. Super happy I picked up my solo.

Just curious if this subject has been re-visited in the last year. I'm still not seeing that anyone else does exactly what Cable Cam does (on the DJI end that is). Maybe one of the 3rd party apps comes close? Still holding on to my Solo until someone can catch up on this technology. Love how simple this function is on the 3DR. At the same time, would love to have a more portable bird like the Mavic. Thanks all!

At present the focus seems to be [probably rightly] on extending flight times and [oddly] extending the controller-bird separation to ridiculous distances given that most every jurisdiction limits flight to VLOS.

No one wants to sacrifice the weight needed to include the sort of on-board computational horsepower that Solo shipped with. It's all tradeoffs folks. Never get something for nothing where flight is concerned.

Had my Solo over a year now and recently got a Mavic Pro. 3DR Solo smartshots are far superior IMHO as I was startled to find that DJI shots do not control gimbal tilt automatically (bad) Mavic Pro excels in some other area's but not smartshots.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I don't under the computing horsepower needed to perform these shots. Seems like that should be feasible with the hardware used on DJI's controllers and maybe combined with smartphone tech. I'm certainty not an engineer and don't even pretend to understand what is needed on that end though. I'm really interested in the Mavic Pro (or upcoming 2 version). Sounds like I may just need two (one for portable and my 3DR for the smart shots). The ease of cable cam is such an awesome feature. Thanks again!!

There IS plenty of computing power on a smartphone. The two way round trip adds delay that is unacceptable for gimbal and flight-input matters. Hence the reason that Solo had an onboard companion computer [the i.MX6]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela