Smart Shot Octo

Would you buy an octocopter with smart shots and the ability to lift a professional video camera?

• Oh Yes! I don't care how much it costs, I'll budget it somehow.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I'd love it, but no way can I justify the expense.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Nah, I prefer to capture video flying manually.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, I'm quite happy with the video from cameras that Solo is capable of lifting.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
Here's a question for the cinematographers in the group. Is an octocopter with the lifting ability for a real camera and built-in smart shots something that you'd be interested in?

What I don't know is if such a device would be of huge interest to cinematographers or if they'd say - nah, I don't need smart shots, I'd rather fly manually.

In the poll please assume there are ways to control the camera's aperture, shutter speed, fps, etc. once it's airborne

So I'm voting that I'd love it but would have difficulty justifying the expense. I know that I'd put effort into building my business to the point where I could not only justify it, but my clients were asking for it.

Reactions: Captain Mike
My option is not on there.
Building my own. just waiting on PH2 to release at the end of the month
Have my frame built and it flies with a pixhawk 1 right now. Should be

Reactions: Ed Beck
I am honestly watching the H
if they can sort out some of the video issue I may get one.
Honestly though, if the PH2 and Arducopter reach smart shot capability then DIY options are almost endless

Octo would be around $10,000. Camera around $5,000.

Seems like the poll was already designed with "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" in mind. :p

I'd definitely love to fly a camera that I can truly fully control while airborne. The Solo is workable but there are just things that I miss from my DSLR such as shutter speed and ISO control.

Now, is said company that will be creating this product be willing to replace the camera on board if anything goes wrong?

I miss from my DSLR such as shutter speed and ISO control.

You can control ISO down to a point, it varies with the mode you're in. To control shutter we know that the aperture on the GoPro is fixed at f/2.8. So take a light reading then add a ND filter to get the shutter down to where you want it. Not a great solution, but it's what we got.

I said other as I wanted the camera defined as professional better explained.

Some cinematographers would only consider a Red or an Arri, while I'd consider a Gh4 or Sony 7 in that category.

All in all, the bird is an insignificant part of the equation. The guys in the DIY forums can build the bird easily and inexpensively. The gimble, now that's more work and expensive, but if your goal is a Red, add $40K, and if it's an Arri, try double

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela