Small UAS collision UK study - QinetiQ testing report

Reaction score
I found this quite interesting - it's a report commissioned in the UK by the UK Ministry of Defence Military Aviation Authority with the support of the British Airline Pilots Association. It's by QinetiQ (pronounced 'kinetic' - they were a Government agency kind of like DARPA originally, but now shareholder owned).

It looks at the effect of collision of a range of typical hobbyist to professional weight UAS on aircraft structures (windscreen and helicopter tail rotors) using both models and simulation.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/drones-and-manned-aircraft-collisions-test-results

It's pricipally aimed at low level slower speed events, and uses a helicopter non-birdstrike certified screen to represent a small GA aircraft.

I think it's a valuable contribution - some debate as to the configuration of the trial 'drone' which was determined to suit the test gun, but equally some interesting points on the effect of the UAV design and possible mitigation of damage to the aircraft that it might allow.

Hope it's of interest - if anyone has links to similar studies I'd be grateful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44