Saving Smart Shots to External Anything

Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
I've asked 3DR if there is any supported way to save smart shots, they say no. Now I'm coming here to see if anyone has an unsupported way.

I just got back from a construction site where I set up a number of smart shots. I'm going back every other week to shoot the same video to show construction progression. I'm the kind of guy who backs up everything for fear that I might loose something critical.

Does anyone have a way to save smart shots to any other device at all? I'm open to save a CSV to Dropbox if it can be reloaded. I'm using the CSV as an example, I'll pretty much do anything I have to in order to save them to another device/location/*.

Thanks, and for your trouble, here's my favorite crane shot of all time (Breaking Bad spoiler alert).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

now this will be a good conversation
its data, it has to be stored somewhere

If they have it contained in the APP itself, the part that is not opensource, then we are screwed. Saved but in some propietary format that is encrypted in someway

If they just saved it as series of longitude latitdue altitude and oreientation and we could find it then BOOM

I've asked 3DR if there is any supported way to save smart shots, they say no. Now I'm coming here to see if anyone has an unsupported way.

I just got back from a construction site where I set up a number of smart shots. I'm going back every other week to shoot the same video to show construction progression. I'm the kind of guy who backs up everything for fear that I might loose something critical.

Does anyone have a way to save smart shots to any other device at all? I'm open to save a CSV to Dropbox if it can be reloaded. I'm using the CSV as an example, I'll pretty much do anything I have to in order to save them to another device/location/*.

Thanks, and for your trouble, here's my favorite crane shot of all time (Breaking Bad spoiler alert).
Hi Ed, Not sure how complicated your site progression shot is, but could it not be set up with either a MPCC or Tower mission? Both allow saving and re-using. You could even use a wide structure scan type shot that would circle the site in a spiral of elevation if you were looking at using the Orbit smart shot. So between using Tower for Orbit and MPCC in the Solo app, what other type of 'Smart Shot' are you looking to save?

Reactions: nexxypoo
I'm saving several MPCCs to my phone. I want to save them off to some* in case my phone gets trashed so I can reload them to a new device.
I see. Perhaps a data backup/recovery app that saves to the cloud? If using Android you could also maybe use backup programs from the PC. Many work by creating an image then each time you connect it will look for anything new and or changed to update the image, regardless of file type/location.
Just throwing out ideas off the cuff..

I used my iPhone in this case because I'm afraid that when the Android update comes out it will wipe out any saved smart shots. I don't have any reason to think it will, just trying to eliminate variables.

I used my iPhone in this case because I'm afraid that when the Android update comes out it will wipe out any saved smart shots. I don't have any reason to think it will, just trying to eliminate variables.
Understood. But can't help you with that then. No one in our family has anything with an Apple Logo on it. But I would have to think there would be similar solutions.

Correct, the issue with an Apple device is apple does not like people seeing what files are on the system. So not sure if it would involve rooting or 'Jail breaking' to achieve the same results on IPhone.

On Android, the MPCC shots are stored in a SQLite v3 database and you need a rooted device to access it. The location is
/data/data/com.o3dr.solo.android/databases
Theoretically, if you can access the database, you can also edit it ;)

Yeah it would be nice to visualize them in google maps and be able to easily edit them. That would be very easy to do. I've created similar apps for real estate. Might even be able to visualize the spline paths, and camera path or close to it. I just have limited time...

My skills are mostly in the web world though, not android specific coding, but I work with sqlite3 db's all the time as well as the google maps api.

Reactions: Scientific11
Nope, can't root an apple, but I could recreate the MPCCs with my Android. My only reason for not using my Android was because I was afraid that the stored smart shots might be erased with the new version.

Hi Ed, Not sure how complicated your site progression shot is, but could it not be set up with either a MPCC or Tower mission? Both allow saving and re-using. You could even use a wide structure scan type shot that would circle the site in a spiral of elevation if you were looking at using the Orbit smart shot. So between using Tower for Orbit and MPCC in the Solo app, what other type of 'Smart Shot' are you looking to save?

Jubalr hit the mark.
I'm currently doing a 2 storey build on my beach block, we are documenting every step of the process, survey every time something happens, and I have a pre-programmed spiralling flight path which I run each time as well. I can re-load the same path whenever I want through tower. The end result will/should be a series of videos which can be lined up and cycled to show the build occuring throughout the 3 minute flight.

Here's a link to the slab pour of a few weeks ago.

neX:)

that is one of the reasons to use tower and missions with solo
not only can you keep your missions, but you can actually slide the waypoints around to tweak the just right, adjust the altitude and speed. Move the point of interest around, you know you struggle getting that dang orbit o the right spot.

cant do that with smart shots

that is one of the reasons to use tower and missions with solo
not only can you keep your missions, but you can actually slide the waypoints around to tweak the just right, adjust the altitude and speed. Move the point of interest around, you know you struggle getting that dang orbit o the right spot.

cant do that with smart shots
In this case the buildings do not exist on any satellite images. I I suppose I could pull the logs into MPCCS and refine them. Is this what you're saying?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc