return home in manual model

Reaction score
Sorry for the question, because certainly there are many topics with this questio. But I was reading and I cant found what I want to know. If I have GPS lock but take off and flight manual mode all time, the return home button still works if i needed or I loose signal?

Sorry for the question, because certainly there are many topics with this questio. But I was reading and I cant found what I want to know. If I have GPS lock but take off and flight manual mode all time, the return home button still works if i needed or I loose signal?
No. As @pyrate said, you would not have a home point saved if you arm and takeoff in manual.

Furthermore, if you lose signal with the controller while its in Manual, I'm pretty sure the Solo won't switch itself into GPS mode. I'm not entirely sure about that. It would actually be a nice safety feature if GPS mode kicked in upon loss of signal, but I doubt it - Alt Hold (aka FLY:Manual) is an "advanced" flight mode after all.

Assuming I'm right that the Solo wouldn't switch to GPS mode, then upon loss of signal the Solo would just do nothing but hover and drift away with the wind... until it hits something or the battery fail safe kicks in and it lands. If it does switch GPS mode on, then it would just hover while maintaining its position (i.e. not drift with the wind).

No. As @pyrate said, you would not have a home point saved if you arm and takeoff in manual.

Furthermore, if you lose signal with the controller while its in Manual, I'm pretty sure the Solo won't switch itself into GPS mode. I'm not entirely sure about that. It would actually be a nice safety feature if GPS mode kicked in upon loss of signal, but I doubt it - Alt Hold (aka FLY:Manual) is an "advanced" flight mode after all.

Assuming I'm right that the Solo wouldn't switch to GPS mode, then upon loss of signal the Solo would just do nothing but hover and drift away with the wind... until it hits something or the battery fail safe kicks in and it lands. If it does switch GPS mode on, then it would just hover while maintaining its position (i.e. not drift with the wind).
You may have misread his question: "If I have GPS lock but take off and flight manual mode all time, the return home button still works if i needed or I loose signal?" This is my regular procedure, Get GPS lock and takeoff/land in manual. The lock is what determine home point and has nothing to do with flying in any mode. If controller signal is lost Solo will return to home point regardless of the mode you are in. Easy to check and I have done it. Just get into a hover and turn off the controller. If you takeoff before GPS lock, GPS lock will be obtained shortly after gaining altitude anyway and that will be your home point. If Solo loses GPS and controller signal, Solo will land where it is, not drift.

Reactions: brunoferreiro
You may have misread his question: "If I have GPS lock but take off and flight manual mode all time, the return home button still works if i needed or I loose signal?" This is my regular procedure, Get GPS lock and takeoff/land in manual. The lock is what determine home point and has nothing to do with flying in any mode. If controller signal is lost Solo will return to home point regardless of the mode you are in. Easy to check and I have done it. Just get into a hover and turn off the controller. If you takeoff before GPS lock, GPS lock will be obtained shortly after gaining altitude anyway and that will be your home point. If Solo loses GPS and controller signal, Solo will land where it is, not drift.
You are correct. I thought he was talking about *arming* and taking off in manual and never switching GPS mode on. Didn't read it carefully enough.

However, I don't think the second part you mentioned could be correct. "If you takeoff before GPS lock, GPS lock will be obtained shortly after gaining altitude anyway and that will be your home point." If you never get GPS lock, and take off in manual, and don't switch over to FLY (i.e. GPS), then I don't think the Solo will ever record a home point (though it will alert you that GPS is available once it is). That said, I've never tested that scenario. Please confirm if I'm wrong. I can't test as we are in the midst of a huge snow storm.

You are correct. I thought he was talking about *arming* and taking off in manual and never switching GPS mode on. Didn't read it carefully enough.

However, I don't think the second part you mentioned could be correct. "If you takeoff before GPS lock, GPS lock will be obtained shortly after gaining altitude anyway and that will be your home point." If you never get GPS lock, and take off in manual, and don't switch over to FLY (i.e. GPS), then I don't think the Solo will ever record a home point (though it will alert you that GPS is available once it is). That said, I've never tested that scenario. Please confirm if I'm wrong. I can't test as we are in the midst of a huge snow storm.
No, Solo will always obtain a home point as soon as it can. The only difference is whether you wait for it before take off (recommended) or if you are needing to fly from an area with obstructions that are blocking a GPS lock. In those situations, you can take off in manual without a lock and climb to an altitude above obstructions to get a lock. A home point will then be established, albeit above the actual, but at least if RTH is triggered, it will come back above you where you can re-take control or let it land. Remember also that even if the recorded home point is 100' above you, when Solo enters 'Land' mode it will continue descending past that point until it reaches ground (determined by the lack of descent, not altitude).

Reactions: RolandS888
No, Solo will always obtain a home point as soon as it can. The only difference is whether you wait for it before take off (recommended) or if you are needing to fly from an area with obstructions that are blocking a GPS lock. In those situations, you can take off in manual without a lock and climb to an altitude above obstructions to get a lock. A home point will then be established, albeit above the actual, but at least if RTH is triggered, it will come back above you where you can re-take control or let it land. Remember also that even if the recorded home point is 100' above you, when Solo enters 'Land' mode it will continue descending past that point until it reaches ground (determined by the lack of descent, not altitude).
I'm forced to take off a lot in manual and get up to where I can get GPS and switch to loiter. But I still struggle to accept that a home point would be recorded if I never switched to loiter (Fly). If so that's new for arducopter in the last year. It's kind of a moot point since I almost never engage RTL, but it's nice to know.

Reactions: Jubalr
I'm forced to take off a lot in manual and get up to where I can get GPS and switch to loiter. But I still struggle to accept that a home point would be recorded if I never switched to loiter (Fly). If so that's new for arducopter in the last year. It's kind of a moot point since I almost never engage RTL, but it's nice to know.
Sure, but GPS and flying modes are independent. GPS is always active in the background. It's just whether the mode you are flying in wants to use it or not. And whether you press RTH or it is activated by loss of signal, same mode. It will RTH to the point GPS was first locked. Easy to test; take off in manual and hover for a minute then fly around close by for a few minutes. Then hit the RTH button and it will show you where it acquired. I don't remember it being different in APM 2.6 or Pixhawk, but could be mistaken. From the Arducopter RTL WiKI..
  • Other navigation settings also have an influence over RTL mode:
  • To use RTL, GPS lock needs to be achieved (Blue GPS LED and Blue APM LED on solid not blinking) before arming and takeoff to establish the home or launch position.
  • Landing and re-arming the copter will reset home, which is a great feature for flying at airfields.
  • If you get lock for the first time while flying, your home will be set at the location of lock.
  • If you set the RTL_ALT to a number at other than 0 it will go to and maintain that altitude while returning.
  • RTL uses WPNAV_SPEED to determine how fast it travels.
  • Once the copter arrives at the home location the copter will pause for RTL_LOIT_TIME miliseconds, timeout (AUTO_LAND), then land.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000