Replacement Charger - advice needed

Reaction score
I managed to lose my AC adapter for my Solo Controllers ( see this thread: Controller AC adapter specs? | 3D Robotics Drone Forum )

The closest AC Adapter I was able to find on short notice is a universal from BestBuy.

Its max output is 1300mA, and it allows me to select: 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V or 12V. So its not a perfect match to the Solo Controller's stock AC adapter, which 8.3v (1.5A).

I know I should be OK if I set it to 7.5V. But how about 9V?

I managed to lose my AC adapter for my Solo Controllers ( see this thread: Controller AC adapter specs? | 3D Robotics Drone Forum )

The closest AC Adapter I was able to find on short notice is a universal from BestBuy.

Its max output is 1300mA, and it allows me to select: 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V or 12V. So its not a perfect match to the Solo Controller's stock AC adapter, which 8.3v (1.5A).

It's probably okay, but ultimately a roll of the dice. DJI's controller can handle a very wide range. I was just at best buy five minutes ago and saw that charger.
I'm trying a local hobby store, and if they don't have one, I'll try the best buy one @7.5 volts

It's probably okay, but ultimately a roll of the dice. DJI's controller can handle a very wide range. I was just at best buy five minutes ago and saw that charger.
I'm trying a local hobby store, and if they don't have one, I'll try the best buy one @7.5 volts
I just left the hobby store, and they said do not use anything other than the manufacturer's power supply. They said it was a very unusual configuration, and it might be safe but they would never chance it. Because it is a lithium ion battery, they said it needs to be charged in a special way. I asked them what if I hooked up a 7.5 volt charger to it and they said they would not try it.
I will try customer support at 3d robotics, and see what they have to say. Otherwise, I will have to have my power supply from home send international expedited delivery

I just left the hobby store, and they said do not use anything other than the manufacturer's power supply. They said it was a very unusual configuration, and it might be safe but they would never chance it. Because it is a lithium ion battery, they said it needs to be charged in a special way. I asked them what if I hooked up a 7.5 volt charger to it and they said they would not try it.
I will try customer support at 3d robotics, and see what they have to say. Otherwise, I will have to have my power supply from home send international expedited delivery

Any chance of just making an adapter and using a regular lipo balance charger on the battery out of the controller. That way at least your only going to hurt your battery not the controller and there's no reason it should hurt either I wouldn't think. I didn't have the right adapter for my fat shark battery, so I spliced in and used what I had on hand, set it right and it's fine. Even faster and you can do maintenance the battery too.

Something like this.

image.jpeg

I think either one would be fine. 1.5v either way is probably fine. They have to build in a tolerance anyway and less than that would be pretty unusual. The charge circuit is in the controller, not the transformer. When charging LiPo batteries for my other MRs, I can dial the voltage by a great deal and not effect anything but charge time as the charge circuitry is what controls the amperage to the battery.

Reactions: erikgraham
Any chance of just making an adapter and using a regular lipo balance charger on the battery out of the controller. That way at least your only going to hurt your battery not the controller and there's no reason it should hurt either I wouldn't think. I didn't have the right adapter for my fat shark battery, so I spliced in and used what I had on hand, set it right and it's fine. Even faster and you can do maintenance the battery too.

Something like this.

View attachment 1675
That would work too. I have one I use to charge the Solo Batteries.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
That would work too. I have one I use to charge the Solo Batteries.
How do you have yours setup, I assume you cut a solo charger then what wires are inside, anything different than the solo controller battery wires or is it just the same 5 wire setup in the solo Smart battery setup. Is it just an integrated balance lead making it smart or is there more to it.

An hour and a half isn't terrible, but it would be nice and allow me to have less batteries on hand if I could use a normal charger for the solo packs. I have to think the balance and maintenance options on normal chargers would be a plus too, maybe not can't hurt though.

How do you have yours setup, I assume you cut a solo charger then what wires are inside, anything different than the solo controller battery wires or is it just the same 5 wire setup in the solo Smart battery setup. Is it just an integrated balance lead making it smart or is there more to it.
All of the SMART circuitry is in the battery and the charger is strictly providing the 3.3A charge for a 4s 5200mah LiPo battery, which can be done by most any RC LiPo charger. The plug is simply a household 120v 2 prong plug with one leg bent. The battery can be charged safely at up to 5.5a.
5PKqzQ

I think I'll be OK, as would you, given that the circuitry is in the controller not the AC adapter (as Jubalr posted). 3DR is probably going to also tell you not to risk it. I've taken a gamble and tried it at 9V on one of my controllers. I'll let you know what happens.

Yes, please let me know. I do have the option of having someone express me the original form the U.S. to Canada, but I'd rather not spend what I don't have to . You are right, here's 3DR's prompt reply:

Jared G. (3D Robotics)

Oct 26, 7:48 PM

Hi, Datta

Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics customer support

Hope you are having a great day, We do not recommend using another power supply besides the one that we provide, you will be able to use a generic one but any damages done to the controller by the generic one will not be covered by warranty, so if you are gonna use it is under your own risk, we are really sorry for the inconveniences but it is stated on our policies.

Any other question please feel free to contact us.

Regards

Jared G.
3DR Customer Advocate
3D Robotics Inc.

All of the SMART circuitry is in the battery and the charger is strictly providing the 3.3A charge for a 4s 5200mah LiPo battery, which can be done by most any RC LiPo charger. The plug is simply a household 120v 2 prong plug with one leg bent. The battery can be charged safely at up to 5.5a.
5PKqzQ
That is very ingenious ! Thanks for sharing. Does it charge faster than the 3DR charger?

5PKqzQ

Thanks for the info Jubalr, thinking about it your right about the plug, easy enough to set up than. How long does a battery take to fully charge at 5.5 and how low do you run yours usually now?

That is very ingenious ! Thanks for sharing. Does it charge faster than the 3DR charger?
This particular charger only charges at 3.5a, so it takes about the same amount of time.

Thanks for the info Jubalr, thinking about it your right about the plug, easy enough to set up than. How long does a battery take to fully charge at 5.5 and how low do you run yours usually now?
It wouldn't be a huge difference at 5.5a, probably about 20% quicker. This charger is only 3.5a on a 4S, but I can charge 2 at a time with this and the Solo charger.

Reactions: Maddog
Nothing like life on the edge! ;)
Will do. I left it charging in my office. That was dumb. Hope it doesn't blow up and light the place on fire. Anyway, I'll post back in the morning.
Sorry for the delay. Busy day. Just to clarify, I have two Solo's and thus two controllers, one of which I connected to a generic AC Adapter.

DO NOT USE A GENERIC AC ADAPTER TO CHARGE CONTROLLER.

It recharged the battery just fine overnight. When I came into the office and clicked the power button it showed a full charge icon on the screen. So I swapped it out and started to put in a second battery to charge. I thought I might smell a faint odor of smoke. I wasn't sure. I put the battery in anyway. When I single clicked the power button, the controller showed a pure white screen...i.e. no more icon showing the amount of charge, no "Waiting for Solo." Just pure white.

Naturally, I unplugged everything. I'm pretty sure the controller is dead. It only shows a white screen, whether you quick click or hold to power on. I never figured out what the smoke odor was, possibly just my imagination, but either way the controller is bricked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela