Rather curious live view issue.

RV1

Reaction score
Hi!
This is my first post, I have played around with APM powered quads and planes since 2013. I Bought the Solo recently, it's my first RTF quad and I was really enjoying the smart shots and getting fairly good video after refocusing my gopro 3+ black, until:

I had a minor hard landing recently, after which I am no longer getting live view on my phone. I can still control the GP through the gimbal, but image is not shown.

I resetted and re-updated the controller and the solo, tried different start up sequences, no picture on the phone.
I started to troubleshoot an hdmi cable plugged into a TV to get to the bottom of the issue,

things get quite interesting...

1. GoPro3+ Black, Gimbal, Solo, Controller - No video on phone or from the controller hdmi out. (The booting message displayed on the corner of the TV
2. GP plugged into the tv with hdmi - Video shows normally
3. GP, Solo, Controller, Phone, (no gimbal) Video shows normally on phone and on TV
4. GP, Gimbal, video straight from the gimbal to a TV with HDMI - Video shows normally.
5. I took apart the Solo, put the foam block between the hdmi connector and the board as a precaution, didn't change anything.

My conclusion is, that the gimbal let's the video through, the solo can relay the picture, but together they refuse to work. So it feels like some sort of software bug. I did factory reset both the controller and the solo, but I didn't help at all.

I'd love to hear your thoughts of this and where to go next. I appreciate any comments or help very much.

Seems you've covered the bases of what to check, even #4 was an excellent effort. You did miss one thing, the hdmi cable connects Solo link board. Possibly this board and/or the hdmi connector has become dislodged. If the board, then you'll need to extract the main board to access and inspect, which is just time and effort. Otherwise the hdmi connector could have come loose/broken off the board, which will be time and money, as it would be easier to replace this link board..

Replacement Solo Link boards are available, Solo Link (IMX6 board) - 3DR . If anything the pictures will give you a better idea for what you are working with....

Good luck!

Reactions: RV1
Thank you for taking time to help me out, RichWest!
I did also checked that hdmi-link board connection, even did the foam block mod that I ran across while researching the issue.
Also, I do get video when I plug the gopro directly to that cable.

Well the link board is attached to the main circuit board, by only a couple of screws, pci connector and some headers. Depending on your "minor hard landing", who knows what went wrong. Just suggesting to remove and re-seat the Link board itself...pain in the rear to access, but it is the last piece of your puzzle.

I have a spare solo where I can swap to link board from if necessary.
I do get the picture through the link when I connect the gopro straight to the hdmi cable leading to the link board. I thought that means the link board should not be the issue here.

Sorry for not being clear, I try to rephrase: The picture passes through the gimbal separately and through the solo and controller separately. But with the gimbal plugged to the solo, I get no picture.

I'm stumped... You really did cover all the hardware paths. It really makes no sense why it's not working. When Solo and the controller are booting up, does the control ever indicate the gimbal is connected? It's an actual message on the controller's screen....

For giggles, make sure the app has the correct GP selected. Pulling the battery in the controller can fix some issues, likely not this but worth a try.

Also, the HDMI OUT from the controller port, you should connect to a TV first and then boot the controller. Seems this is required to establish the hardware out path to an external monitor, otherwise it doesn't work.

I have the correct gopro on the app. I reinstalled the app too. The controller is fully aware of the gimbal, will show the tilt angle and the controls work with the camera.

Whenever I plug the gopro directly to the solo, picture shows on phone and tv (plugged to the controller) almost immediately. Or if I plug the gimbal hdmi out straight to the tv I the picture comes on.

I also tried running the picture through the gopro with gimbal data/power cable unplugged or plugged, didn't make a difference. And gopro out of the gimbal but gimbal hdmi plugged to it. I am going to try replacing the hdmi cable from the gimbal to the solo, just because I have one for parts solo from ebay.

Thank you Rich one more time. I am in Chouston Tejas too. I'd be interested to know good spots to fly and film once I get this sorted out. I have a couple of good ones to share too.

Since it's summer, schools work out well for practice fields. None of the municipal parks have any restriction, unless an event is being held.

It really depends on what you are after from a video perspective. Myself, being born and raised here, it is downtown skyline for a local aspect. I've found several locations outside the downtown area to pop up, but you need a spotter to watch your back... I tend to fly a battery and load up to the next location.

Plenty of places and seemingly no restriction to fly around. Houston is a fairly boring aerial town, being it is flat-flat and has an abundance of trees. I think lower down there are plenty of local landmarks worth video'ing, but it's a personal choice to what and why. If I had more of an artistic eye, I'd see more of what I've been missing...

Now if I was twenty something...I'd be buzzing Up-Town, flying the loop, ship channel, metro rail and other risky locals. I'm slower and more responsible now, it sucks like Houston traffic.

Always interesting to see a local perspective and what is of interest to them. Get your bird squared away and post up some vids....I'm bored watching my videos...

I agree with everything you wrote. So far I have flown the solo in places with no people at all, I live near Memorial Park which offers nice location deep in the forest. Let me know if you have published your videos from Houston.

Yesterday I was trying to change the hdmi cable but I bricked the solo beyond being able to reset it. Today I flashed a new memory card in it, brought the solo back to life and found out that my problem still prevails. I think I am going to send the gimbal back for a replacement.

Here is a compilation of my first few flights before I lost the picture. I used the gopro quik app to put it together with the music. Moving on I want to use more proper software with lens connection and more control over the edit.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Office computer and internet is too slow to watch video, will watch later....

BB Galleria may have gimbals....

Video looks good, actual better than expected using Quik... Your vid looks solid, liked the intro through the trees.

Thanks! I tried with a brand new gimbal. The same issue.

Next I'm going to try with another for parts solo I bought from ebay for 60 bucks. Will have to flash the card first to make it boot. Maybe I'll swap the link card, we'll see. I still can't believe this is going on! It makes zero sense.

Everything works without the gimbal and picture comes through from the gimbal but not when it is installed in the solo.

Wow, it is really strange. As far as trouble shooting, the hdmi cable and link card are all that is left...in Solo. If you have another controller, try that as well.

At this point you are winning the contest for most perplexing video feed issue...bummer.

Thank you for that honor...

Already swapped the hdmi cable. I have some other stuff to do, but will eventually try with either the other solo or just swap the link card. It's crazy that without the gimbal I get the feed to the controller, hdmi out and app. But with either of the two gimbal, no go. We'll, if the other solo won't play either, I guess I'll either get rid of it all or buy another transmitter. I only have one.

Thank you so much for helping me out!

I'll see with the other solo / link card, most probably tomorrow and will let you know.

I don't believe it. New gimbal, different solo. Still no picture for the app or controller hdmi out.

I plugged the solo hdmi cable directly to the gopro and immidiately have picture on both.

So common nominators are the controller as you pointed out, the gopro (hero 3+ black) and myself (maybe that's the week link here...)

Have you tried using 1080p/30fps? If this works, then go to 60fps if you want.

I have yet to figure out why, but the max I can use on two different Solos and two different Android devices is 1080p/60fps.

I have not tried. Ive used 1080p 60fps medium and narrow, ntsc and protune. I'll try right away, thanks for the tip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421