ragecams lens upgrade?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried ragecams 4.2mm lens in the gopro hero 4 black? Worth investing so much to correct the distortion of the original lens?

Has anyone ever tried ragecams 4.2mm lens in the gopro hero 4 black? Worth investing so much to correct the distortion of the original lens?
I am using the 4.35 non distortion lens from Peau Productions with good results.

Reactions: erikgraham
Last edited:
And you have the stabilizer? I wonder, with narrow FOV is more difficult to stabilize the image.

Are these snap on lenses or do you need to tinker with the camera?

Well normally you disassemble camera to break the lens loose but @Jubalr shared a tip with me where you can remove it without opening camera.

I have the 5.4 Peau lens as well. I personally think its the hot setup for flying but it rendered mine about useless for handheld use as it was too shaky. I also prefer the zoom you pick up with it and the FPV seems more natural.

And you have the stabilizer? I wonder, with narrow FOV is more difficult to stabilize the image.

Yes, I have several ND filters including 2, 4, and two 8's that help with stabilization. . In theory a narrower FOV would require more stabilization, but in practice the gimbal has taken care of much of that, and the filters the rest. I also have polarization filters, which I consider a must for every camera.

The combination of filters and gimbal on my P2 W/GoPro provided very smooth footage, and from what I see the Solo will be the same or better... FYI, I also have the same type filters (different size) for the P3P for the same reasons.

I just ordered a 4.35mm lens from Ali Express for $30 w/ free shipping. Curious to see how the footage is compared to some of the $200-300 ones on youtube. Its the exact specs that Peau Productions have listed on their site and the picture is exactly the same :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-35...NON-Distortion-for-Gopro-DJI/32378413783.html

Here is the PP lens..

http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124_126_164&products_id=946
I personally like the "Super Mount" as it provides threads so you can attach filters, and each of the filters has threads on front and back so you can stack them.. I use the ND8 and circular polarizer filters together. a LOT

a re all the same with very diferent prices or some brand is superior?
Well I can't speak for them all, and others may be good or better, but I can speak highly for PEAU.

They install an ND8 filter behind their 5.44 lens when they install it, that adjusts the camera shutter to work better with the lens. They also perform a "de-pink" service to make sure you don't have pink edges, which seems to come up often when swapping lenses on GoPro's, and they have a thing called "Super Mount" that adds threads to the lens hood, where the lens can then have external filters stacked on it. I find this very useful, and the lens I have is flawless. They are also VERY knowledgeable (and helpful) when it comes to GoPro's and lenses.

T

I use the PEAU 5.4mm.

http://peauproductions.com/store/in...id=934&zenid=5af9d93ba1c9dd9b894975e3f0021f87

I highly recommend it.

The lense is VERY good. The "super mount" that allows you to stack 30mm filters is really nice.

Be aware though, it is a narrower FOV, so for those that have been dealing with stock GoPro lense for a while, it could take some getting used to.
Thank you guys. Just ordered. Will arrive on Wednesday.

I plan to use this and a standard GoPro. Unlike many of you (apparently), I actually like the fisheye effect in some situations. When filming in mountainous regions, a fisheye effect makes the mountains loom larger and creates a great feel - also, without a flat horizon the fisheye isn't immediately obvious. And there are plenty of other instances where i like the fisheye for stylistic reasons.

But now, I'll be able to swap out cameras depending on the look I want. So thank you all again! Great find (I went with the PEAU by the way).

An extra nice thing about Peau is they send a rubber filler ring to seal and lock it in place where some of the cheaper lens companies dont. Is a 30 cent deal but nice not to have to chase one down.

But now, I'll be able to swap out cameras depending on the look I want. So thank you all again! Great find (I went with the PEAU by the way).

Exactly... I do the same thing.

Another nice thing about the narrower FOV is that you can also go all the way up to 4K Wide on the GoPro without seeing the legs. Assuming you have a computer than can handle the 4K, you can then use all that real estate to crop the video as needed and still have plenty of pixels to output 1080. It is really nice for exact centering, stabilization, etc. all of which can eat parts of the screen

Reactions: brunoferreiro
Thank you guys. Just ordered. Will arrive on Wednesday.

I plan to use this and a standard GoPro. Unlike many of you (apparently), I actually like the fisheye effect in some situations. When filming in mountainous regions, a fisheye effect makes the mountains loom larger and creates a great feel - also, without a flat horizon the fisheye isn't immediately obvious. And there are plenty of other instances where i like the fisheye for stylistic reasons.

One more thing.... If you film with stock lens, and end up wanting the fisheye gone, you can do that also. The GoPro software has a filter for it, and Adobe Premiere does as well. Premiere in fact has lens profiles for the slight differences in all the GoPro's as well as the DJI lenses.

They remove the fish eye quite well at 1080, but if you film in 4K you can crop the edges and not even a pro would know the difference. That said, I have and use both also and when i want straight lines, I use the 5.4

the new 4.3mm non distortion vs the 5.4mm non distortion?
I would like to know this too. I have the 5.4 and the Supermount (not yet installed). But I would like to know the performance of the 4.3. Some people I spoke to mentioned there were focus issues? I find this unlikely but am keen to know of anyone else's experience. 4.3mm for me is the better focal length with the slightly wider FOV that isn't distorted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc