Questions about 3.8mm lens install

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
This is the one I'm looking at:
4K LENS 1/2.3" 3.8MM Gopro Lens 16MP M12 Mount Low Distortion for Hero 4 Black Camera 2016 Newly Coming-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Many folks have spoken (written?) highly of this lens. Just last night I found out how ridiculously easy it is to remove a lens from a GoPro when I decided to correct my H3+B for infinity focus. It really was out of focus for anything beyond about 10 feet. Very slight adjustment made a world of difference. And I experimented with macro focus too, very cool. But I digress.

Is the lens I linked to above a quality lens? Many seem to think so and I know I can install it myself when my new H4B arrives next week. I'll order the Peau pink delete update if I notice any issues once the new lens is installed.

Another question I have about this lens is: are any modifications to the body of the GP required to install this lens? Some comments seem to indicate yes and other don't say and other seem to indicate that there are two versions of the lens out there where one required mods and one does not. I'm so confused. I just want a quality lens I can install without breaking the bank and without hacking up my camera.

I thought of another question: does the GP with the 3.8mm lens fit in the GP housing without issue?

TIA for any help.

This is the one I'm looking at:
4K LENS 1/2.3" 3.8MM Gopro Lens 16MP M12 Mount Low Distortion for Hero 4 Black Camera 2016 Newly Coming-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Many folks have spoken (written?) highly of this lens. Just last night I found out how ridiculously easy it is to remove a lens from a GoPro when I decided to correct my H3+B for infinity focus. It really was out of focus for anything beyond about 10 feet. Very slight adjustment made a world of difference. And I experimented with macro focus too, very cool. But I digress.

Is the lens I linked to above a quality lens? Many seem to think so and I know I can install it myself when my new H4B arrives next week. I'll order the Peau pink delete update if I notice any issues once the new lens is installed.

Another question I have about this lens is: are any modifications to the body of the GP required to install this lens? Some comments seem to indicate yes and other don't say and other seem to indicate that there are two versions of the lens out there where one required mods and one does not. I'm so confused. I just want a quality lens I can install without breaking the bank and without hacking up my camera.

I thought of another question: does the GP with the 3.8mm lens fit in the GP housing without issue?

TIA for any help.

I don't know anything about the particular lens you are interested in but, FWIW, it sure looks like the same lens (as far as specs go) as what I purchased from Megapixel Lenses about 10 months ago.

1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount Low-Distortion Board Lens 123038MPF-B (Φ17.5) for Drone Gopro 4

Several members on this forum have bought and installed this lens. It's been tried and tested. Check out this thread:
Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)
Read from post #311. Any questions you have, you will find in thread. No modifications to the body of the GP required for lens installation, slight modification to the GP housing may be required - all discussed in the same thread.

Here's a short video clip I filmed with the 3.80mm lens in September 2016.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cheers
Nikos

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the 3.8mm lens, will order it when I get home tonight. I had read some of the lens discussion thread looking for info on the 3.8mm and I found some but your suggestion to drop in at post 311 was exactly what I was looking for and had missed thus far. Thanks!

I'll wait to get the lens installed and tested, then decide if the pink eye issue is one I need to deal with. If the pink corners aren't noticeable to me in the formats I usually shoot, I'll probably stick with the stock profile so I can swap back to the stock GP lens if I need to. Has anyone ever posted a sample of photos or videos where the pink corners profiles is removed but the stock lens is also used?

Last edited:
You will notice pink corners with the 3.8mm lens from time to time. I eliminate pink corners in pos using Final Cut Pro X. I downloaded the "post-fix" from here.
4.35mm Lens Mod for GoPro Hero 4

The "fix" is a jpeg overlay for the 4.35mm lens that is utilised in post. It works exceptionally well with the 3.8mm. The jpeg overlay download is found in point 3 on the website.

I'll eventually download the fix from Peau as rendering pink corners in post can be time consuming and a PITA especially with longer video projects.

I have my ebay-sourced GPH4B just waiting. Upgraded it to the 5.0v firmware. The linear setting is not that effective, still has warp in the image, especially at the far edges and corners. One thing I noticed is that linear appears in files captured, but does not appear in the live feed (on the GoPro LCD screen or Solo live feed). Still waiting for my coveted 3.8mm ($40 shipped!) to arrive. I decided to let it take the slow boat from China (literally apparently) instead of paying almost as much at the lens for DHL shipping. That's okay, I've been getting other toys for my GP and have other things to try before I fly my 4B with the Solo again.

I did fix the infinity focus on the 4B as I had done recently on my 3+B. It wasn't off as much as my 3+B was, but it did need a little adjustment. Another upside is that the lens is already loosened and ready to be replaced once the 3.8mm arrives.

One of the other toys I'm playing with is a handheld Skylab gimbal for the GPs. Of course that has led me to want to buy yet another GP, a H4S this time so I can have a screen to see what I'm shooting while it is mounted in this gimbal. It is a pretty neat little machine, as or more impressive than the Karma gimbal for a LOT less money, especially since I got it on sale.

Refurbished H4S with a full factory warranty can be had for $179. I must resist, I've spent a lot of money lately on toys!

Last edited:
My new 3.8mm lens arrived this afternoon! Not bad since I ordered on 2/14. I am waiting on other items from China right now which are who-knows-where.

I can say this, China Post tracking is an utter waste of time and internet space.

Lens installed and focused. While focusing I noticed it was a tiny bit wobblely causing focus to not be firm. I was about to tear the whole thing down and put in the base that came with the lens since it fit the new lens better, but then I decided to try a turn of teflon tape and that did the trick. Nicely focused, fit great. I could re-install the outer ring too so I can continue to use my existing filters. Haven't test fit it into a dive housing, but it sure looks like it will fit without issue.

Geez that flat look to the image looks great.

Last edited:
Bummer. Does NOT fit in an unaltered dive housing. The lens hits the glass just slightly. You could close it up, but the lens would be touching the inside of the glass. I'll have to decide which housing I may want to alter since I have one modified and one not modified camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986