Question about software updates with a NIB Solo from a couple of years ago:

Reaction score
I'll try to be quick. I bought a Solo a couple of years ago when BestBuy had them for 299.00 and included a gimbal. After a week or so I decided to buy another one as a backup since I liked it so much. Today I thought about gifting it to my daughter, but I wanted to set it all up first. I installed the Solo app from the apple store and under "flight school" ... none of the videos work anymore ... the ones that walk you through everything, including installing the gimbal. I know there are plenty of videos on youtube that do the same, but I remember the original was so easy. Questions: 1: Are the original videos just gone? I can't find them on youtube. 2: I have the app on three iphones ... can I set that second Solo up using those apps? (because I remember it needs to "update") ... the app itself is still available in the app store, along with an update because I just installed it on her phone. Is there another resource I'll need or does the Solo itself get its updates from the app (also the controller, does it get its updates from the app?). I searched for these answers but I don't get on here that often, so please if you know that would be great ... I just don't need to be berated like happened so often in the past. Thanks for any positive input.

In all fairness, it's just connecting two wires (power and HDMI), it's really not that difficult.
The video below seems to cover it pretty simply
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The only recommendation I'd have is to use a different screw driver, preferably one with a longer shaft and larger gripped handle. The 3DR one is barely functional for installing the gimbal securely. I have no idea if the original video's are available anywhere, but you're better off using a video made by a real person in real world circumstances, not one made by a company that specifically shows how "easy" something can be (Take number 34!)

Yes, you can set up the solo using the same apps, the app will detect whether or not the Solo requires the "factory update". The Solo drone connects to the controller, the controller connects to the phone. The app then loads the update to the controller which sends it to the drone. So the only thing you need to do is make sure the controller is paired with the drone first.

I would highly recommend updating the Solo to "Open Solo" as that contains a lot of updates and improvements to the 3DR solo as well as improved flight capability and landing.

Either way, good luck with the setup!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Update the Solo to the latest 3DR release via the 3DR Solo app if you can, but once you're there, get on OpenSolo v3.0 using Solex, SidePilot, or SSH from Win/Mac/Linux terminal.

I'm testing the OpenSolo Master based upon ArduCopter v3.7 MASTER and woo boy, things are looking up.

Update the Solo to the latest 3DR release via the 3DR Solo app if you can, but once you're there, get on OpenSolo v3.0 using Solex, SidePilot, or SSH from Win/Mac/Linux terminal.

I'm testing the OpenSolo Master based upon ArduCopter v3.7 MASTER and woo boy, things are looking up.
So what's the inside skinny then! :)

Irishman ... thank you ... I know how to install the gimbal, I was more worried that I wouldn't be able to update the actual Solo itself, but you have answered it for me here: "The Solo drone connects to the controller, the controller connects to the phone. The app then loads the update to the controller which sends it to the drone." ... Thank you, that's the exact answer I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'm not familiar with the "Open Solo, Sidepilot, Solex," etc ... I've always just used the app it came with and haven't ever had any issues. If I do with this new Solo I'm going to open I'll look into those things. I've used mine for dropping bait a few hundred yards from the beach and otherwise just line of sight flying, so I'm not sure if I need anything else do I? I live near Orange Beach, AL and Mobile, AL and have done about 50 flights I guess ... I just didn't want this other one sitting there collecting dust and then not be able to make it work. But from what you've said, as long as I have the updated apps on my phone (or actually 3) I should be good to go? Thanks guys.

I'll try to be quick. I bought a Solo a couple of years ago when BestBuy had them for 299.00 and included a gimbal. After a week or so I decided to buy another one as a backup since I liked it so much. Today I thought about gifting it to my daughter, but I wanted to set it all up first. I installed the Solo app from the apple store and under "flight school" ... none of the videos work anymore ... the ones that walk you through everything, including installing the gimbal. I know there are plenty of videos on youtube that do the same, but I remember the original was so easy. Questions: 1: Are the original videos just gone? I can't find them on youtube. 2: I have the app on three iphones ... can I set that second Solo up using those apps? (because I remember it needs to "update") ... the app itself is still available in the app store, along with an update because I just installed it on her phone. Is there another resource I'll need or does the Solo itself get its updates from the app (also the controller, does it get its updates from the app?). I searched for these answers but I don't get on here that often, so please if you know that would be great ... I just don't need to be berated like happened so often in the past. Thanks for any positive input.
Just got mine also. Came from the same place. love it!

The original videos are available on youtube under the user of "3DR"

try not to use "SOLO" app. Get Solex, and life is great!

Irishman ... thank you ... I know how to install the gimbal, I was more worried that I wouldn't be able to update the actual Solo itself, but you have answered it for me here: "The Solo drone connects to the controller, the controller connects to the phone. The app then loads the update to the controller which sends it to the drone." ... Thank you, that's the exact answer I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'm not familiar with the "Open Solo, Sidepilot, Solex," etc ... I've always just used the app it came with and haven't ever had any issues. If I do with this new Solo I'm going to open I'll look into those things. I've used mine for dropping bait a few hundred yards from the beach and otherwise just line of sight flying, so I'm not sure if I need anything else do I? I live near Orange Beach, AL and Mobile, AL and have done about 50 flights I guess ... I just didn't want this other one sitting there collecting dust and then not be able to make it work. But from what you've said, as long as I have the updated apps on my phone (or actually 3) I should be good to go? Thanks guys.
When it is done doing its thing, it displays controller 2.4.2 and vehicle 2.4.2. They are the last firmware 3dr released for the solo. works fine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377